The Marble Garden Zone is filled with ancient Roman-esque structures. Over the years, these structures and monuments have fallen into disrepair. However, there are still a number of working booby traps throughout the ruins. Since the zone has been uninhabited for centuries, the ruins have been ravaged by the elements and been covered in overgrown plant life.
When Sonic the Hedgehog first discovered the Floating Island, the Marble Garden Zone was the first Zone on the island he and Tails visited. It was also where they first encountered Knuckles the Echidna. After a drawn-out fight, Sonic and Tails were able to escape with Dr. Robotnik as a prisoner. When Knuckles infiltrated Sonic's Secret Underground Base and rescued the doctor, Sonic followed them back the island and caused their Flying Egg to crash in the Marble Garden Zone. Another fight occurred before Knuckles and Robotnik escaped to the Temple of Chaos via the Zoom Tube.
In between these two meetings, Sonic revisited the Zone with Amy Rose (by use of the Hyper-Spring) to investigate talk of a new Badnik. With help from a former organic battery, Sonic discovered the Combinik and use the Zone's hazards to defeat it.
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #40, "Carnival Night Conspiracy, Part 2"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Poster Mag #6, "Marble Garden Mayhem"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #33, "Enter Knuckles, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #34, "Enter Knuckles, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #35, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #36, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #95, "Out for a Spin"