Madonna was supposed to be a love interest for Sonic the Hedgehog during the early development of Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). She was scrapped from the final release along with other ideas, including the early idealized Sound Test with Sonic and his band.
Concept and creation
Madonna was a blonde haired skinny human woman in a form-fitting red dress and was actually going to be Sonic's girlfriend. At some point in the early development, Madonna was dropped from the final game along with other Naoto Ohshima's ideas.
There have been two kinds of claims for the removal. Madeline Schroeder from Sega of America claims to be one who removed her from the final release as her reason being to "soften" Sonic for children and foreign countries, because she thought it was too Japanese-esque. In Summer of Sonic 2011 however, Yuji Naka stated that reason for removing her was to due the overused cliche of saving the kidnapped heroine that is also featured in the rivaling Super Mario Bros. series, so the staff team decided to change the story direction to center around the conflict between Sonic and Dr. Eggman.
While many concept illustrations of Madonna has circled around the internet for years, two concept art related to her are featured as unlockable content in Sonic Gems Collection.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Madonna, full name Madonna Garnet, is an agent of G.U.N. and a member of the organization's C.L.I.P. division. She first appeared in Sonic Super Digest #12, where she reviewed Dr. Julian Snively's history with G.U.N.
- Tom Kalinske once said in an that Madonna was not the appropriate girlfriend for Sonic.
- Naoto Ohshima said in an interview for Famitsu that some elements of Madonna were passed on to Amy Rose.
- Sonic the Hedgehog GameTap Retrospective Part 2. GameTap (17 February 2009). Retrieved on 3 May 2015.
- SGGG MANIAX - 幻のソニック. Retrieved on 3 May 2015.
- Summer of Sonic - Sonic Team Q&A 2011. The Sonic Show (2 July 2012). Retrieved on 3 May 2015.
- レイ, 馬波 (24 June 2016). 『ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ』誕生・ヒット・新生の真実をソニックチームのレジェンドクリエイターが、25周年のいま明かす 秘蔵資料満載の永久保存版！(2/5) (Japanese). Famitsu. Archived from the original on 1 October 2020. Retrieved on 1 October 2020.