Lost Impact is one of the fifth Stages in Shadow the Hedgehog. It is set aboard the Space Colony ARK and can be reached by completing the Hero mission of either Mad Matrix or Death Ruins. The stage is set in Shadow's memories as an extended flashback after Artificial Chaos experiments have begun to attack the colony.
After either helping Espio the Chameleon hack Dr. Eggman's Mad Matrix or helping Rouge the Bat clear the Black Arms out of Death Ruins, Shadow comes out of Chaos Control in Iron Jungle and spots Sonic standing on the wing of Tails' new spacecraft. Sonic informs Shadow that the Black Arms are on their way to the ARK, and the black hedgehog agrees to follow them. However, during the spaceflight, Shadow finds a capsule containing the ship's power source: the cyan Chaos Emerald. Making a comment that it's "like taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me", Shadow decides that gathering the Emeralds for himself is the most pressing priority, and breaks the capsule.
The Emerald's energies, combined with the ship's alarm's siren, trigger a memory from Shadow's past, which he slides into. Maria comes to Shadow (who was in the research lab at the time) and tells him that "something's gone terribly wrong with Grandfather's experiments". Maria recruits Shadow to stop the "monsters", which are the rampaging Artificial Chaos. Shadow can agree and hunt down the gelatinous blobs with the G.U.N. forces, or head for the Professor himself in order to ensure his safety.
While never made entirely clear, it seems that this incident is entirely distinct (and preceding) from the eventual G.U.N. attack on Project Shadow depicted in The Doom. Lost Impact has the G.U.N. soldiers fighting with Gerald's staff to suppress the Artificial Chaos. If this is the case, Lost Impact may be the second life-threatening research malfunction on the ARK.
The following weapons can be found in Lost Impact:
Secret Key locations
- Use the elevator in the room with the first Save Point then head up to the top level. Once at the top, climb the pole and the Key is in mid-air.
- Take the door on the right after the third Save Point, then go to the last room in that section. Climb up the objects around said room to reach the Key, which is suspended mid-air.
- Ride the Gun Lift after the fifth Save Point then, once outside, stop and jump to the right. Grab the rocket to reach the platform with the Key.
- Jump up above the green rail in the same room as the eighth Save Point. To do so, go near the door, jump on the railing, then move up to the ledge where the Key is.
- In the room with the eighth Save Point, go through the door on the right. Then, break through the wall using either a Grenade Launcher or bomb.
The Secret Door houses an armored car, which doesn't have much use in this Stage.
|Get to Gerald's Laboratory!||Reach the Goal Ring.|
There are no shortcuts available, so this mission requires raw speed, with the Goal Ring being past the seventh Save Point. To maximize speed, remember that the Gun Lifts can be sped up by pressing //.
|Defeat the Artificial Chaos!||Destroy all 35 Artificial Chaos.|
- Save Point #1: 1
- Save Point #2: 8
- Save Point #3: 12
- Save Point #4: 21
- Save Point #5: 25
- Save Point #6: 26
- Save Point #7: 27
- Save Point #8: 33
The most noticeable change in Lost Impact's Expert Mode is the lack of some Gun Lifts. When the player reaches the first part where a Gun Lift used to be, they should go through the door, and a platform with a rocket will be there. Use the rocket to reach another platform, and use the Dash panel to go forward. After using the Dash panel, the player needs to use a series of Homing Attacks to reach the other door. The Goal Ring is in the area with the final Save Point.
- This is the only Stage in Shadow the Hedgehog without a Dark mission.
- If a second player is controlling Maria, they can actually hurt Shadow by attacking him while he is in a turret, causing him to lose Rings and be kicked out of the turret.
- Early in the stage, Maria makes three interesting comments about the Artificial Chaos:
- "Those are the experiments, based on the god of an ancient culture."
- "The experiments..... their eyes look so.... sad."
- "Many G.U.N. soldiers have been killed by the monsters. Could they have been created as a weapon?"
- In the room with the sixth Save Point, Maria makes a comment about the experiments looking cute when they break apart.
- In the opening cutscene where Shadow appears in Iron Jungle, Sonic says "We're on our way to the ARK, so I guess that means we're going too!" This was the result of a mistranslation from the Japanese script to the English one. The line should read "They're on their way to the ARK, so I guess that means we're going too!"
|"Lost Impact"||Yutaka Minobe||2:22|