Longclaw is an anthropomorphic owl. She has purple-brown feathers, while her face is white. Her eyes are blue and she has two feathers coming from behind her ear-tufts, reminiscent of a great horned owl. Her wings are mottled brown. She wears golden armor around her torso. unlike most anthromoporthic birds who use their primary feathers like fingers, she has small dexterous digits at the end of where her actual hands are, and these are separate to her primary feathers, not unlike the forelimbs of a small feathered dinosaur.
Longclaw is a wise and noble owl. She is very protective of Sonic and urges him to hide his abilities, and cares about his well being. Sonic describes her as "basically Obi-Wan Kenobi, if Obi-Wan Kenobi had a beak and ate mice". Although she was upset with Sonic for disobeying her, she appreciated Sonic's gift to her.
Longclaw raised Sonic, urging him to hide his abilities. Sonic, however, did not listen and was discovered by a tribe of echidnas when Sonic brought her a flower. Wounded by the tribe, Longclaw sent Sonic to another planet with a bag of Rings, telling him to never stop running. It is unknown what happened to her afterward. Sonic would take her advice to heart, and believed he would never have friends and be alone forever.
- Longclaw somewhat resembles the owl head-shaped tiles which can be seen in Labyrinth Zone in the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
- One of said tile designs makes an appearance near the start of the film engraved into a rock.
- Longclaw's relationship with Sonic in the film may be a reference to Stay Sonic, a book in which Sonic was stated to be found by an owl named Sophocles.
- Longclaw is notably more realistic in appearance than any of the other anthropomorphic animal characters present in the movie.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Official Movie Novelization: "Longclaw was the last of her kind, a noble line of warrior owls dedicated to maintaining balance for all living creatures. Outfitted in blades and battle armor, Longclaw's order had fought for years to protect their world—a world where the animals of the forest and the fields had evolved to be the dominant species; a world ruled by claw and fang."
- ↑ Stay Sonic, pg. 17: "No-one is quite sure how Sonic arrived in the Green Hill Zone. He was found wandering in a daze one day by Sophocles, a sharp-eyed owl. A number of different possibilities have been suggested, though there is little hard evidence to support any of them. Quite simply, one day he wasn't there, the next he was."