Longclaw is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog film series produced by Paramount Pictures. She is an anthropomorphic owl who was the guardian of Sonic the Hedgehog during his early childhood.
Longclaw is an anthropomorphic owl with purple-brown feathers, while her face is white, and possesses blue eyes. She also has two feathers coming from behind her ear-tufts that are reminiscent of a great horned owl and mottled brown wings.
She wears golden armor around her torso, a small dexterous digits at the end of where her actual hands are and these are separate to her primary feathers, not unlike the forelimbs of a small feathered dinosaur.
Longclaw raised Sonic, urging him to hide his abilities, but he did not listen and they were discovered by a tribe of echidnas when Sonic brought her a flower. Wounded by the tribe, Longclaw sent Sonic to another planet with a bag of Rings, telling him to never stop running. Sonic would take her advice to heart, and believed he would never have friends and be alone forever.
Afterwards, it is unknown on what happened to her as she was not seen or heard again.
|Image||Unlock Requirement||Upgrade Profile|
|Collect 500 Longclaw tokens
(15 May 2020 - 21 May 2020)
Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
In promotion of the film, Longclaw makes an appearance as a playable character in Sonic Forces: Speed Battle. She was added to the game's roster in the version 2.17.0 update. She has the following stats in gameplay:
Longclaw is a wise and noble owl who is very protective of Sonic that she urges him to hide his abilities and she cares about his well being. Sonic describes her as "basically Obi-Wan Kenobi, if Obi-Wan Kenobi had a beak and ate mice". Although she was upset with Sonic for disobeying her, she appreciated Sonic's gift to her.
- Longclaw somewhat resembles the owl head-shaped tiles which can be seen in Labyrinth Zone in the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
- One of said tile designs makes an appearance near the start of the film engraved into a rock.
- In the film, Longclaw's relationship with Sonic may be a reference to Stay Sonic, a book in which Sonic was stated to be found by an owl named Sophocles.
- Longclaw is notably more realistic in appearance than any of the other anthropomorphic animal characters present in the movie.
- In a deleted scene, Longclaw's original fate is revealed to be different from the final film's: after the echidna attack, she flees to Earth with Sonic and she lives in isolation with him until she dies of old age.
- Artstation - Concept for Sonic the Hedgehog, Bayard Wu. Artstation (29 March 2020). Archived from the original on 31 March 2020.
- ソニック･ザ･ムービー (Japanese) (16 June 2020). Archived from the original on 17 June 2020. Retrieved on 19 May 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Official Movie Novelization: "Longclaw was the last of her kind, a noble line of warrior owls dedicated to maintaining balance for all living creatures. Outfitted in blades and battle armor, Longclaw's order had fought for years to protect their world—a world where the animals of the forest and the fields had evolved to be the dominant species; a world ruled by claw and fang."
- Pattenden, Mike (4 January 1993). "Sonic the Hedgehog". Stay Sonic. Fantail. pp. 17–18. ISBN 978-0140903904. "No-one is quite sure how Sonic arrived in the Green Hill Zone. He was found wandering in a daze one day by Sophocles, a sharp-eyed owl. A number of different possibilities have been suggested, though there is little hard evidence to support any of them. Quite simply, one day he wasn't there, the next he was."