Lanolin is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing. She is an anthropomorphic sheep from Riverside and a member of the Restoration. She currently helps in the day-to-day operations at the Restoration's new HQ.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 History
- 4 Personality
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Concept and creation
Lanolin was created by Adam Bryce Thomas as a background character in Sonic the Hedgehog #2. Thomas would continue to draw Lanolin in subsequent issues he illustrated, usually with a new look. Writer Ian Flynn would later confirm Lanolin's name.
Lanolin is an anthropomorphic sheep with cloudy white wooly fur on her head for hair, light tan skin around her muzzle with a black/salmon nose, and slate blue eyes. She possesses pointy and stubby horns on her head, droopy medium-long ears, and hoof stubs for fingertips. She possesses tuft of wool on her forehead while the rest of her hair is kept in four buns.
Lanolin has worn many outfits over time. Initially, she wore an amber dress with a blue-green/green sash tied in a ribbon at the back, blue-green/green hairbands, and brown shoes with sometimes gray buttons and a golden jingle bell. When Lanolin was working at Restoration HQ, she wore a green shirt with a orange collar and cuffs, an orange skirt, and lilac and white shoes. While assisting the Restoration during the Metal Virus evacuations, she wore a red jumpsuit with red and white shoes, with black elbow and shoulder pads, and a pair of goggles. On Angel Island, Lanolin wore a black shirt, sneakers, green pants, and orange gloves. She also wore elbow and shoulder pads and goggles with this outfit. At another point, she wore a tan sweater with green pants, white winter boots, and had no hairbands. Her latest outfit has her with a black sports bra, light brown shirt, green cargo pants, brown belt, brown and tan combat boots, black elbow sleeves, and brown fingerless gloves.
For the most part, Lanolin wears a bronze cowbell with a green chocker around her neck.
When Sonic was defending Riverside from Badniks, Lanolin alerted him and Amy Rose of an invasion force coming in from the west side of town. Sonic, Amy, and the local militia disposed of this invasion force immediately after.
The Last Minute and Big's Big Adventure
Lanolin was busy checking notes on a clipboard when Big visited Restoration HQ in search of Froggy. She paid little attention to the cat, even as one of her co-workers struggled to drag him back in line after Gemerl denied him entry. Restoration HQ fell to the Metal Virus soon afterward, with only a handful of survivors, including Lanolin, managing to escape in a rescue shuttle. She later joined in on the evacuation of Spiral Hill Village after the Metal Virus was dumped there.
All or Nothing
After escaping from Spiral Hill Village, the survivors went to Angel Island. Lanolin was in the rescue shuttle's cockpit when Rouge contacted the Restoration from aboard the Faceship. While Amy took the call, Lanolin nervously glanced up at an infected Sonic as he sat atop her seat. Later, she helped the Restoration set up camp on the island with the remaining uninfected.
Out of the Blue
Chao Bases and Badnik Races
While in Restoration HQ; Lanolin met Vector, who informed her that the Chaotix had come at the request of Jewel. Embarrassed, Lanolin called Jewel loudly on the walkie-talkie, then made her departure.
Trial by Fire
Lanolin has a helpful and hardworking mindset, as she is willing to do many tasks for the Restoration. She is good at following orders, but is very formal about it. As such, Jewel and others have to remind her to not act so official while greeting them. Lanolin also appears to get startled easily, whether it is from Badniks to being called by her boss.
- Amy Rose
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Rouge the Bat
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Lanolin appears on an early draft of Sonic the Hedgehog #30's A cover, which was done by Adam Bryce Thomas. However, she was edited out of the final version.
- To date, Lanolin has appeared almost exclusively in issues illustrated by Adam Bryce Thomas, her creator. The only exceptions are Sonic the Hedgehog #20, Sonic the Hedgehog #26, and the Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2020, where she was drawn by Jack Lawrence, Evan Stanley, and Jonathan Gray, respectively.
- ABT on Twitter. Twitter (12 April 2018). Archived from the original on 6 March 2021. Retrieved on 6 March 2021.
- Lanolin's model sheet.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #37, "Test Run, Part 1"
- Ian Flynn on Twitter. Twitter (18 January 2020). Archived from the original on 18 January 2020. Retrieved on 6 March 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Fallout, Part 2"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #13, "Calling Card"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #24, "The Last One Out"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #26, "All or Nothing, Part 1"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #31, "Recovery, Part 1"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #20, "Crisis City, Part 2"
- Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2020, "Big's Big Adventure"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #25, "A Sudden Shift"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #35, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 3"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #41, "Zeti Hunt, Part 1"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #46, "Trial by Fire, Part 2"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #30 Cover A inks