Kitsunami the Fennec, or Kit for short, is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing. He is a villainous anthropomorphic fennec fox created by Dr. Starline. He was made for the intended purpose of supporting Surge the Tenrec and replacing Miles "Tails" Prower.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 History
- 4 Personality
- 5 Powers and abilities
- 6 Weakness
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Concept and creation
According to writer Ian Flynn, Kit is inspired by a glitched version of Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. His appearance was conceptualized by artists Evan Stanley and Mauro Fonseca, with Stanley taking the lead in finishing the design. Fonseca has stated that Kit's design was inspired by the King of Sorrow from Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil. His boots originate from an unused design for Dr. Starline. Kit's hydrokinesis was designed with Sonic's dislike of water in mind.
Kit, along with Surge, was originally pitched for IDW Publishing's Sonic comics by Ian Flynn in 2017, before the first issue was even released. They were meant to debut alongside Dr. Starline as part of a trio of characters based on glitches present in the early Sonic the Hedgehog video games. Although the pitch was rejected at the time, due to the staff thinking it was too early, the characters would eventually be accepted in 2021. Notably, Kit was originally pitched as a fox, but was changed to a fennec at a later date.
Kit is an anthropomorphic fennec fox about the height of a child. He possesses mostly argentinian blue fur with a patch of white fur on the front of his torso that is shaped like a waterdrop, and a medium-long white muzzle with pointy cheek tuffs and a small black nose. He also has fuchsia eyes that sometimes glow, bice blue eyelids, long bangs of fur on his head, and long triangular ears on his head with bice blue tips that hang down the sides of his head. Lastly, he has a long, thick tail with a bice blue tip.
For attire, Kit wears the Hydro Pack, white gloves that possess visible lining with black cuffs that are studded with gray studs, and yellow boots with black toes and soles, and six gray studs aligning the tongues of said boots.
Both Kit and Surge had been in development for a long time as part of Dr. Starline's Operation: Remaster. In order to finish the creation of the duo, Starline used a piece of fur from Tails, alongside the data he got from Belle the Tinkerer's emotional intelligence. Kit in particular was designed for the purpose of aiding Surge, while modeling him after Sonic's sidekick, Tails. Kit, however, was created without awareness of his origins, believing only that Starline gave him the powers he had so he could help Surge destroy Sonic.
Imposter Syndrome and Trial by Fire
Kit and Surge eventually had to go through various tests arranged by Dr. Starline. At the end of one of these tests, however, Starline treated Surge with hypnosis when she began arguing with him, subduing her. Kit was at first shocked by what Starline had done to Surge, only to have his memory reset by Starline with hypnosis as well. After they regained consciousness, Kit and Surge were sent to the Forest Ridge Zone Campground by Starline. There, they would start a forest fire that could kill Amy and her friends in order to demoralize Sonic. After Surge ignited the dried-up flora Kit had gathered, the pair would walk through the fire they had caused. A few days later, the pair came to Central City for a test to assess their finesse by causing chaos without getting caught. Kit wanted to sabotage the city's sewage system, but Surge went ahead and caused some chaos herself. Regrouping with Starline at Tails' Lab, Kit tried opening the entrance to the lab when Starline could not open it. However, Kit's water coil tails were unable to squeezes through the cracks in the sealed entrance. Not wanting to make a notable scene, Starline had Kit and Surge withdraw with him. Returning to Starline Base Sigma, Kit learned that the fire he and Surge started had been handled without casualties. Regardless, Starline wanted to put him and Surge through one final test that would let him try out his anti-Eggman algorithm. While Surge argued with Starline however, she and Kit began questioning their motivations and relationships, prompting Starline to hypnotize them again. When Kit and Surge then woke up, Starline convinced them that they wanted to take part in his final test, while he wanted them to move on with his plans. With Kit believing Starline's lie, he listened to Starline's plan for their final test.
Traveling to Egg Base Alpha, Kit was instructed by Starline to be escorted by Surge to the comms tower and ensure that no alerts would broadcasted onto the Eggnet. Although Kit tried insisting that it was Surge's role to handle the important jobs, he was silenced by Surge. Afterward, the trio headed into the base, with Kit and Surge heading to the comms tower. Though Kit suggested a detour when Antons appeared, Surge went ahead and destroyed them. Kit tried then to remind Surge of Starline's plan, but Surge insisted on doing her own thing while he followed her. Regardless, the two headed towards the comms tower as planned. Once there, Kit wanted a few minutes to disable outgoing communications. As he began passively arguing with Surge in an attempt to keep her from destroying the tower however, an Egg Breaker appeared. As such, Surge distracted the Badnik while Kit went to work. After finishing, he returned to Surge, only to see her get smashed by the Egg Breaker's mace. Furious, Kit threw the mace back at the Egg Breaker, only to discovered that Surge was barely hurt. After Surge then took care of the Egg Breaker, Antons surrounded the duo, only to begin applauding them. Starline then announced that the base and its Badniks were his now, and told Kit and Surge to join him in the control room. There, Kit tried to tell Starline of what had happened when he noticed their bruises, but Surge silenced him and assured Starline that all was well. After being dismissed however, Surge told Kid in private that she had realized that Starline had done something to them that they could not recall. With Surge focused on sorting this out and getting revenge on Starline, Kit eagerly offered his help when Surge asked for it.
Kit shares Tails' kindness, politeness, and occasional shyness, but with their positive traits flipped around. He is defined by a soft-spoken, somber and timid attitude, with very little in the way of individuality. He speaks politely and formally, referring to Dr. Starline and Surge as "sir" and "ma'am". Kit is also quite nervous and often stutters when he talks. However, despite his reserved demeanor, he is capable of moments of extreme emotions: when he thought Surge had received lethal injuries, he snapped into a sorrowful rage and would scream loudly as he took brutal revenge on her attacker.
Kit possesses a keen and analytic mind that prompts him to look before he leaps. As such, he is full of ideas and creative solutions that do not rely solely on brute force and prefers sticking to the plans that has been laid out, having noted that plans are his thing. However, he appears to hold a low opinion of himself, having refused to take part in operations that involves vital elements of support. Nonetheless, his sorrowful attitude prompts him to look for validation from both Surge and Starline, but their constant mistreatment causes him to have emotional breakdowns.
Powers and abilities
Kit has the ability to manipulate water. He is highly skilled with this ability, being capable of shaping water into various forms with no effort. His most prominent demonstration of this skill is his ability to make "hydro-coil tails" that are both solid and strong enough to restrain a robot as strong as Hey Ho, lift and thrown a giant mace with considerable force, and pry open metal doors that have even the slightest crack in them. He can also use them to plug up openings and spaces, like the exhausts in jet packs, for both immobilization and offense. When able to produce his hydro-coil tails via his Hydro Pack, he can also use them to carry himself forward at great speeds.
As a part of Dr. Starline's precautions to keep Kit on a short leash, Kit has been made highly susceptible to hypnosis in case he goes out of control. As such, he is quick to respond to Starline's commands and lose some of his most recent memories when exposed to Starline's hypnotic devices.
Kit is loyal to Dr. Starline as part of his programming, even respectfully calling him "sir". KIt in particular is better than Surge when it comes to listening to Starline's orders, as he prefers following plans. However, under specific circumstances, Kit will question why he works with him, prompting the doctor to manipulate him with his hypnotic gauntlet to keep him loyal. Starline will in particular gaslight the duo into pretending nothing happened, as he needs them for his plans.
Surge the Tenrec
Kit is programmed by Dr. Starline to be loyal to Surge the Tenrec and serving her as her support unit to the best of his abilities. However, their partnership is nothing but a farce, as both Surge and Kit have been programmed with false memories and motivations for helping each other by Starline in order to make their teamwork more effective. Also, Kit's attempts to be the voice of reason for Surge and reign in her recklessness are often ignored or disregarded by Surge herself, prompting arguments between them. Even so, Kit is never directly hostile towards Surge, opting instead to be somewhat passive when they disagree. Due to all their disagreements, Kit will be very happy when Surge actually asks for his help and support.
Despite Surge's callous treatment of him and emotional abuse, Kit still worries about her well-being, even if she does not return the concern. If Surge were to be hurt, the normally apathetic Kit will react in shock or even uncharacteristic anger and rage. However, Kit's feelings for Surge are not natural, as why he worries so much about her confuses him.
- Kit's full name is a portmanteau of "kitsune" and "tsunami". A kitsune is a fabled Japanese creature, known for its nine tails. This is reflected in Kit's powers, as he can create multiple "tails" out of water. This may have also been inspired by how Tails was originally supposed to be a kitsune, but was changed to a fox due to kitsune not being well known outside of Japan in the 1990s.
- Surge and Kit's names together reference the word "circuit".
- IDW Publishing on Twitter. Twitter (14 November 2021). Retrieved on 14 November 2021. "David Mariotte: Surge and Kit actually predate Sonic number 1, as seen on this year one springboard from Ian Flynn. They predate most of the things in IDW Sonic, in fact. When Ian Flynn pitched Surge and Kit in 2017 before the series started, we knew that it wasn't quite the right time for their story to get the justice it deserves. When it came to 2021 planning with Ian, writer Evan Stanley, and assistant editor Riley Farmer, we knew it was the right time."
- Mauro Fonseca on Twitter. Twitter (2 September 2021). Archived from the original on 13 November 2021. Retrieved on 2 September 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome #1, story one
- IDW Publishing on Twitter. Twitter (14 November 2021). Retrieved on 14 November 2021. "David Mariotte: Today I'm here to give you a special behind-the-scenes look at the creation of our two new characters Surge the Tenrec and Kitsunami the Fennec"
- Dreadknux (26 August 2021). SURGE THE TENREC AND KIT THE FENNEC: IDW’S ‘IMPOSTER SYNDROME’ MINISERIES’ NEW CHARACTERS REVEALED. The Sonic Stadium. Archived from the original on 26 August 2021.
- STH Imposter Syndrome!. Reddit (September 2021). Retrieved on 11 November 2021. "Ian Flynn: Dr. Starline was inspired by the "Wechina" sprite error from Knuckles's Chaotix. Likewise, Surge is inspired by the famous "Ashura" glitch of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Kit by a personal glitch I remember getting for Tails in S3&K."
- Stanley, Evan (17 November 2021). Kit (and Surge) Design breakdown!. Tumblr. Archived from the original on 18 November 2021. Retrieved on 18 November 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome #2, Sonic Letters Squad
- BumbleKing Videos (7 January 2019). The Final (For Real) Smash Bros. Ultimate Episode - BumbleKast #82. YouTube. Retrieved on 18 November 2021. "Ian Flynn: See actually, Starline was meant to debut with two other characters and they were all built around a similar [...], and if they had all come out at the same time I think folks would've gone "Oh, I see where the inspiration is from", but things were revised because our season 2 plans were [...] we need to just push some stuff to the back burner now and focus on [...] so that's why we only have Starline now. Eh, maybe we'll get to it down the line."
- Ian Flynn on Twitter. Twitter (17 November 2021). Archived from the original on 18 November 2021. Retrieved on 18 November 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #46, "Trial by Fire, Part 2"
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome #2, "Stress Test"