The Jaws (3235-3237) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a shark-based Badnik created by Dr. Robotnik for underwater purposes, and a part of the Classic Badnik line.
Jaws first appeared during one of Sonic the Hedgehog's fishing trips, where it ate Sonic's pole and the dock, forcing Sonic to investigate. He found a cave with an underwater Roboticizer, and was almost caught himself. Jaws lured Sonic into a trap, and tried to load Sonic into the roboticizer, when Sonic shredded the net, wasting his air. Jaws would have bitten Sonic had Rotor and Tails not arrived in their bathysphere, and torpedoed Jaws, creating air bubbles for Sonic, allowing to trash the roboticizer. Jaws fled, but his tail rotor was damaged, and he spent some time crashing into undersea stalagmites. He was repaired and returned to the cave where he had to guard one of the Freedom Emeralds, only to be distracted by another fight with Sonic and Tails. This fight ended when Jaws attacked a crude sketch of Sonic and Tails, crashing into the cave wall. As if that were not embarrassing enough, Jaws knew that the real Sonic and Tails have five fingers, while the sketch gave them four.
He was later seen working with Coconuts is an undersea bank heist, with predictable results. He later ruined Robotnik's impersonation of The Wizard of Oz and warned Robotnik about what would happen if the law learned that Robotnik had stolen some fan mail meant for Sonic-Grams. Curiously, Jaws seemed much less malevolent in this incarnation, finding Amy Rose-whom he saw in a photo-cute and expressing horror at the idea that Robotnik would send Metal Sonic to capture her. His various failures against the Freedom Fighters also resulted in his being replaced as Robotnik's enforcer in the Mobian Ocean by Octobot.
Island of Misfit Badniks
He was later seen on the Island of Misfit Badniks, unable to participate in the battle with Sonic, as he could not do much inside a fishbowl. He just watched as Sonic and Pseudo-Sonic sunk the island. When the Badniks tried to enlarge Pseudo Sonic, and the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters interferes, Jaws joined the last wave of badniks led by Caterkiller in battle. He tried unsuccessfully to eat P.B. Jellyfish, as Pseudo-Sonic woke up and knocked everyone away. Big Fluke smashed Pseudo-Sonic and all badniks, Jaws included, into a cube, along with the island.
Like most Badniks who display any sort of personality, Jaws is utterly malevolent and loyal to Robotnik-at least in the ocean. While confined to a fishbowl, he demonstrated a gentler, almost kind personality, expressing shock at Robotnik's villainous activities.
Powers and abilities
Jaws has jaws powerful enough to tear through wood, and has great speeds underwater.
- The Jaws is modeled after the badnik with the same name from the Genesis and Game Gear video game Sonic the Hedgehog, appearing in the Labyrinth Zone and Scrap Brain Zone Act 3 on the former version.
- Since it looked so much like a shark, Jaws' name may have come from the fictional movie shark from the 1975 thriller film Jaws.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog "#1, "Something Fishy"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog "#2, "A Crowning Achievement"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "The Man From H.E.D.G.E.H.O.G."
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #25, "Go Ahead... Mecha My Day!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble, "Submersible Rehearsal"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"