Jaleel White is an American actor, producer, and screenwriter who provided the voice of Sonic the Hedgehog in three animated series from the 1990s: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic Underground.
Jaleel White has mentioned that not many people know of his involvement with the Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons. He is quoted saying "You gotta Google me deep to know I did Sonic."
When Jaleel White stepped into the character of Sonic, he mentions making efforts to have Sonic sound raceless. Despite being African-American, Jaleel White did not want Sonic to sound like a black man. He developed a unique voice for Sonic that does not represent any particular race.
- Family Matters - Steve Urkel/Stefan Urquelle/Steve Winslow/Myrtle Urkel/Elvis Urkel/Bruce Lee Urkel
- Quest for Camelot - Bladebeak
- Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series):
- Sonic Underground:
- Because of school commitments and filming Family Matters, Jaleel White recorded his lines for the Sonic the Hedgehog television series separate from all the other actors who recorded their lines together.
- In Sonic the Hedgehog #8, while Robotnik summoning robots based on comic book characters, he summons a Wolverine bot (based on the comic book character of the same name), but due to a communications glitch, a Wolvurkel (a combination between the superhero Wolverine and Steve Urkel) was sent and started dancing. Sonic states that he sounds familiar, and a side bar even said, "It's true! Jaleel "Urkel" White is the voice of Cartoon Sonic!"
- In Sonic Underground, White was replaced in the music videos as the singing voice for Sonic by Samuel Vincent. However, in the Sonic the Hedgehog television series and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, White actually sang in his Sonic voice.
- According to an interview with Aaron Webber, he claimed that if anyone were to voice Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations, it would be Jaleel White. Aaron mentioned that he grew up with the classic cartoons of Sonic like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and he thought Jaleel White did a fantastic job.
- Due to the idea of having Classic Sonic speak in Sonic Generations being dropped early in production, White was never contacted by Sega for the opportunity.
- White voiced Sonic in Eddie Lebron's short Sonic film which was released online in January 2013. His tone is more mature than his previous incarnations but still similar. White recorded many lines for Sonic, including a handful that didn't make it into the final version.
- White is one of two Sonic the Hedgehog voice actors not from a video game to also voice a character (in his case, Gene the Genie) in the DuckTales (2017) reboot. The other is Ben Schwartz.
- "The Fastest Thing Alive: A Conversation with Jaleel White" featurette. 'Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Series'. Shout! Factory (March 27 2007). "I deliberately wanted to make him, y'know, 'cause I'm black, if you haven't noticed, I really wanted to make him just like, y'know, of no race. So, when you listen to Sonic, I don't think you even get an impression that, y'know is it like is he black, is he white, is he surfer, is he whatever? No, instead, he's just hero, just fast."
- Tamaki (15 January 2012). Sonic Generations [Beta – PS3/Xbox 360]. Unseen64.net. Retrieved on 8 February 2016.
- MAGFest 9: Sonic Fan Film Trailer and Interview. YouTube. Tainted Reality (17 January 2011). Retrieved on 1 October 2018.
- Jaleel White at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.