Eggman can't pay the tax bill for his trash pickup, so to raise the necessary funds, he must turn his evil lair into a luxury resort.
- Admiral Beaverton
- Ballot Stuffer Bot
- Child Monkey
- D.B. Platypus
- Diane Aardvark
- Dr. Eggman
- Fastidious Beaver
- Fennec Garbage Man
- Lady Goat
- Lady Walrus
- Leroy the Turtle
- Mayor Fink
- Old Monkey
- Obliterator Bot
- Redd Heron (first appearance)
- Secret Review Magazine (mentioned)
- Sheep Villager
- Team Sonic
- Wild Cat
Races and species:
- Sonic Boom World
- Amy's Hammer
- Doomsday Device
- Particle Accelerator (mentioned)
- Wrist controller
The episode begins at Dr. Eggman's lair, where Sonic, Knuckles, Amy and Sticks are locked in battle with some Eggman robots. The quartet easily smash the Badniks, and Knuckles takes out Ballot Stuffer Bot with a single combo. However, the heroes get shocked by the arrival of Obliterator Bot and more Badniks, all while Eggman overlooks the battlefield from the Eggmobile. As Sonic calls in Tails on his Communicator to hear the status on their poorly-named plan to smash the Eggman robots, Tails reveals that he is unable to make the Unbolterizer on his plane fire. Flying his plane into position above the battlefield, Tails goes out to take a comical look at his Unbolterizer, and manages to make it fire. The ensuing shot turns Eggman's robots into scrap metal, and Sonic mocks Eggman with how he and team are not sticking around to help Eggman clean up after he just lured them into a trap. Team Sonic then takes their leave in Tails' Plane, leaving a disgruntled Eggman behind.
After cleaning up the mess, Eggman notices, much to his displeasure, that his trash has not been picked up for weeks. Before he can blow it up with a bazooka, however, Orbot convinces Eggman to ask Seaside Island's government for help first. Eggman promptly goes to the Mayor's Mansion to tell Mayor Fink (who is busy sticking pencils to the ceiling) about his problem. Because it is an election year, Fink agrees to help Eggman, and has some waste collectors pick up his trash. As Eggman celebrates his victory however, a waste collector gives him a trash collection fee for their services. Furious, Eggman goes back to Fink to complain. Fink, however, argues that a one-time fee is in order since Eggman's trash this month was way above the limit. Furthermore, Fink reveals that if Eggman cannot pay his fee, he will foreclose on his lair.
Having cash flow problems, Eggman does not have the funds to pay for his fees. Back at his lair, Eggman contemplates on selling his inventions, with Orbot suggesting that he should sell his rarely-used Doomsday Device. However, Eggman dumps that idea in favor of a more "well thought out, common sense" plan: turning his evil lair into a resort hotel named "Eggman Towers". Orbot and Cubot are then sent to the Village Center to advertise for Eggman's new hotel, but Cubot quickly ruins their sales pitch strategy. Noticing Orbot and Cubot, Sonic and Tails approach the duo to get some answers. After hearing Eggman's angle, Sonic decides, despite the poor plot, that he and his team should check it out just to be safe. Back at Eggman's redecorated lair, Eggman is servicing Admiral Beaverton (who has come to Eggman's lair to get the newspaper without realizing that the lair has been turned into a hotel) when Team Sonic arrives to end his scheme. When Eggman insists that he is running a legitimate business though, Sonic and crew decide to check into Eggman Towers as guests (in order to keep an eye on him), which Eggman begrudgingly accepts. At the lair's pool, Team Sonic are seemingly convinced of Eggman's intentions upon seeing him service his guests in peace. Eggman, however, is constantly annoyed by tending to Team Sonic's every demand. Eventually, after hearing Amy's constructive criticism for his service, Eggman's voices his intentions to kick everyone out of his hotel once he has enough funds to pay the mayor's extortion, which will be soon. Meanwhile, Sticks has gone into hiding in a pillow fort inside the lair that she has made from stolen hotel pillows.
Eggman soon after returns to Mayor Fink in his office to pay his fee with his funds. However, when Eggman mentions that he turned his lair into a hotel to earn his funds, Fink presents Eggman with a hotel permit and a fee for unauthorized hotel management, both of which he has to pay. Furious, Eggman uses all his funds to pay for both of them, bringing him back to square zero. Returning to Eggman Towers, Eggman, in his frustrations, has a hard time being nice to the guests checking in, despite Orbot's attempts to guide him. Still, Admiral Beaverton assures the doctor that his hard work will eventually pay off. Cubot then shows up before Eggman and tells the doctor some big news (the way he recalls it) that he had overheard from Dixon and Diane Aardvark. It turns out a secret hotel reviewer from Secret Review Magazine is coming to Eggman Towers. Eggman thus decides to identify the reviewer and impress him so he can make his hotel profitable and close it quickly. As a regal-looking heron enters the hotel, Eggman assumes he is the reviewer and shoves Amy aside to service him. Eggman tries to please this well-mannered "Redd Heron", but Eggman's own frustrations at the other guests, such as children messing up the lobby and others seeking service from him, make it difficult. In the end, Lady Walrus makes Eggman up on dinner early.
In the dining hall, Eggman focuses on servicing Redd, ignoring Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and his other guests along the way. When asking for Redd's opinion of his service however, Eggman learns that he is not a reviewer, but an insurance adjuster. Assuming then that D.B. Platypus, another one of his guests, is the reviewer, Eggman quickly shifts his focus to him, only to learn that he is currently a vacuum cleaner salesman. Having enough, Eggman voices his contempt at his guests in public, earning him the ire of Lady Walus and Amy, the latter of who reveals herself to be the reviewer. Accepting that his hotel business has been a fiasco, Eggman goes with his "old standby" and traps everyone in a force-field via his wrist controller. He then calls Mayor Fink and gives him an ultimatum: either he gets rid of his fees, or he will get rid of his villagers. While Eggman waits for Fink to find his "hostage negotiation hat", Sticks, who had been absent from dinner and was thus not captured, shows up and lowers Eggman's force-field by attacking his wrist controller. With Team Sonic mobilizing, Eggman calls in his Badniks to fight the team. The Badniks are no match for Team Sonic, but when Sonic hits a Scorpion Bot with a spin attack, he accidentally knocks it into Eggman's Doomsday Device, activating the device. The Doomsday Device promptly explodes, sending everyone inside the lair flying into the sky while Eggman's lair is deduced to a ruin. Fortunately, everyone lands safely by plummeting into the pillow fort Sticks built earlier.
Overlooking the remains of his lair, Eggman is at a loss at what to do until Redd injects. He notes that, while it was based on misguided assumptions and plot contrivances, he appreciates the kindness Eggman showed him earlier. As such, he is willing to provide Eggman with an enormous insurance settlement that will let him rebuild his lair and pay his permits and fines, which Eggman is ecstatic about, as it means everything will go back to normal. However, after his lair is rebuilt, Eggman notices, much to his frustrations, that he is once again stuck with a surplus of trash at his lair.
- Tails has the Unbolterizer, a device he invented and completed in "Circus of Plunders".
- Orbot recalls how Dr. Eggman tried to use his Doomsday Device in "Double Doomsday".
- Dixon is missing his pony tail in this episode.
- When Dr. Eggman moans the destruction of his lair, Redd Heron can be seen standing behind him. However, when Redd starts to speak, he is suddenly shown standing besides Eggman.
Title in other languages
|French||Le Grand Hôtel Eggman||The Grand Hotel Eggman|
|Italian||Un hotel fuori dal comune||An out of the ordinary hotel|
|Polish||Hotel Zacisze||Hotel Retreat|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Resort de lixo||Trash resort|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Hotel de Loucos||Hotel of Crazy|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Un hotel de locos||A hotel of crazy|
|Ukrainian||Божевільний готель||Crazy hotel|
- Nine days before this episode aired on Boomerang, Bill Freiberger released the title card for this episode on Twitter as a teaser.
- The title of this episode is a pun of the behavior "Insanity".
- The music that plays during the dining scene and the ending is "Minuet in G", a miniature piece composed by Ludwig van Beethoven.
- In this episode, Knuckles wears his towels around his torso in the same manner he wore the blankets in "Cabin Fever".
- Orbot breaks the fourth wall when he mentions that Dr. Eggman has not used his Doomsday Device since sometime in the beginning of season one. Sonic also breaks the fourth wall by mentioning that the plot sounds like the writers are just phoning it in.
- This is the third time Eggman's lair was destroyed. The first was in "Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch for a Few Days?" and the second was in "I Can Sea Sonic's Fear From Here".
- This episode contains several references to the British TV sitcom Fawlty Towers, such as the titular Eggman Towers and the Hotel Inspector plot which bears several similarities to the Fawlty Towers episode "The Hotel Inspector".
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (29 October 2016). Archived from the original on 11 May 2021. Retrieved on 29 October 2016. "Tailooey Fan: Jack Fletcher is still the dubbing director and Natalys Raut-Sieuzac is still the director in Season? / Bill Freiberger: Jack Fletcher is the voice director. Natalys Raut-Sieuzac is the director. / Tailooey Fan: In season two too? / Bill Freiberger: Yes, Jack Fletcher is the voice director and Natalys Raut-Sieuzac is the director in season 2 of #sonicboom."
- Sonic Boom: Inn Sanity. Zap2it.com. Retrieved on 8 June 2017.
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (29 June 2017). Retrieved on 29 June 2017. "Bill Freiberger: 225: Eggman can't pay the tax bill for his trash pickup, so to raise the necessary funds, he must turn his evil lair into a luxury resort."
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (22 June 2017). Retrieved on 22 June 2017. "Bill Freiberger: A #sonicboom preview for next Saturday: Ep. 225 "Inn Sanity" written by Sam Freiberger @evilsamdestroyr."