The Inhibitor Rings are objects that appear in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are rings worn by Shadow the Hedgehog to restrain his power which he has worn since his creation onboard the Space Colony ARK.
The Inhibitor Rings are golden rings that Shadow the Hedgehog wears on his wrists. When worn, they limit the Chaos energy intake Shadow uses during combat and other situations. When he takes them off, Shadow can tap fully into the Chaos Force, giving him a drastic boost in power, though at the risk of thoroughly over-exerting himself.
Shadow was first seen releasing his Inhibitor Rings during his battle against the second Enerjak. This empowered him enough for a time to match Enerjak's might, nearly tearing the whole city of New Mobotropolis apart in the process. He later used them again when on a mission in the ruins of New Megaopolis to destroy Dr. Eggman's Doom Laser. In this mission, Shadow took off his rings to divert the shot of the laser using Chaos Control and his plan worked successfully, though he nearly fell off the observatory the Doom Laser was housed in.
- Note: From this point, the Inhibitor Rings' history continues from their new existence in the altered timeline.
- It was the Sonic X anime which first presented the idea of Shadow using up more energy when taking off his rings. This idea eventually made its way into the games in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and was then used in the comics.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #182, "Fallen Angel"
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Shadow the Hedgehog"
- Sonic Universe #2, "Time & Again"