- Hush! You hear that? It sounds like Sonic's racing off to another adventure and he's not alone! But who is this "Guardian Angel" and why does everybody talk about her in a Whisper?
- Written by: Ian Flynn
- Art by: Evan Stanley
- Colors by: Matt Herms
- Letters by: Shawn Lee
- Edited by: Joe Hughes & David Mariotte
- Published by: Greg Goldstein
- Special thanks to: Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Aaron Webber, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
The story begins during the night, with Sonic the Hedgehog infiltrating one of Dr. Eggman's pyramid bases. Unbeknownst to Sonic, however, a figure is watching him from the shadows. Inside the base, Sonic easily dodges the laid out traps and defenses and Boosts through the incoming Spinas. Up ahead, he sees door that is about to get sealed. The figure in the shadows secretly fires a spiked pink ball in between the door seal and the floor, thus keeping the door open long enough for Sonic to get underneath it and past it. Sonic continues onward, only to run into a supersized Spina. Meanwhile, the figure in the shadows is observing Sonic. Before Sonic can attack the supersized Spina, it gets surrounded in a cyan aura and is smashed into the floor.
Silver appears before Sonic and the latter declares that he had the situation handled. Regardless, Sonic expresses his gratitude for Silver's appearance and for his assistance holding the door for him. Silver tells Sonic that he does not know what door he is talking about, saying he used another entrance. Just as Sonic wonders who helped him, a surprise shot is fired at another large Spina that Sonic and Silver did not detect coming. Thinking Silver destroyed the second Badnik, Sonic asks him when he started doing such moves. Silver again denies his involvement and excitedly believes that it was the work of the legendary "Guardian Angel". Sonic does not know who this is, reminding Silver that he spent six months contained in a cell. Silver then goes on to explain that Resistance units reported sightings of a mysterious person who would help turn the tide of battles in the Resistance’s favor but never openly joined the army. The Guardian Angel is also responsible for saving Silver's life on a few occasions.
Sonic jokes saying Silver must had come back from the future to get an autograph, but Silver makes it clear his arrival is nothing to joke about. The future that Silver originally escaped from, one where the world was incredibly polluted and controlled by the Eggman Empire, had been erased thanks to the Resistance winning the War. However, when Silver returned to the future, he found no signs of any people, animals or even machinery; only water and sparse metallic plant life. Knowing that something was still wrong in the past, Silver came back to find out what happened. Silver explains that Amy let him know that Sonic was on the look for clues, to which Sonic believed the Guardian Angel is doing as well.
Sonic notices the weapon marks in the beaten Badniks do not look like they were made with standard Wispons. Just then, Sonic and Silver hear noises from around the corner. They find a female wolf trying to break into a door with a Wispon device that switches between various Wisp powers. Silver excitedly calls for her attention but the Guardian Angel uses her Wispon's Hover ability to fly away from him. This confuses Silver. Sonic tells Silver that this act makes it clear as to why she actually never joined the Resistance; because she, for some reason, prefers to work alone.
Sonic calls out to the Guardian Angel and apologizes for coming on so strong and offers their help. While the Guardian Angel makes no move, some Wisps leave the Guardian Angel's cloak and playfully greet Sonic, recalling how he saved their home planet. The Guardian Angel decides to approach and introduces herself as Whisper. Silver opens the door and the trio find a computer room guarded by many Spinas and E-107 Theta. As they battle against the Badnik horde, Silver loses his grip of the door and gets them closed in. As Whisper takes to a high area to shoot at Theta, Sonic and Silver start destroying as many Spinas as they can to make destroying Theta easier. Despite this, Theta manages to shoot Whisper down. She becomes wedged and separated from her Wispon. As she gets surrounded by several Spinas, her Wisps come out to stand by and protect her. Fortunately for them, Silver uses his psychokinesis to control the Spinas and use them as shields to Theta's missiles. Sonic then uses more Theta's own missiles to take the robot down for the count, releasing an animal in the process.
Silver tells Whisper that though she likes to work alone, she has assembled a good team with the Wisps, a team he would be proud to be on. Whisper smiles and bashfully responds with a "...maybe". Silver helps Whisper get up and following this, she attempts to destroy a computer with hatred in her eyes. Sonic quickly stops her as they need to get information from it first. This makes him worry what Eggman could have done to her to cause such a reaction. Silver looks on the Eggnet (Eggman's personal Internet server) and finds that Neo Metal Sonic is no longer attempting to hide his plans once he spots a major update. Once Silver and Sonic find out Neo's plan, Sonic states that they need to call Knuckles immediately.
Back at Resistance HQ, Knuckles receives a distress signal from the Master Emerald. He and Amy do not understand the reason for this as Knuckles had hidden the Emerald before devoting his time to the Resistance. They soon receive a priority alert call from Sonic and Silver, with Sonic telling them that they need to gather everyone.
Meanwhile on Angel Island, Neo Metal Sonic has taken control of the Master Emerald, as well as the island. As he sits on a throne attached to the Master Emerald, he knows that the Master Emerald has the ability to neutralize the Chaos Emeralds. As such, he dares for Sonic to stop him, believing he will be powerless.
- Dr. Eggman (Mentioned)
- Neo Metal Sonic
- Picky (First appearance)
- Silver the Hedgehog (First appearance)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Super Sonic (Mentioned)
- Whisper the Wolf (First appearance)
- Sonic searches Eggman's bases for valuable clues relating to Neo Metal Sonic. Sonic would recall this in Sonic the Hedgehog #14, "Misdirection".
- Silver tells Sonic that Amy told him of the plan they conceived in Sonic the Hedgehog #7, "Meet the New Boss".
- Silver reveals that his time is an empty metallic wasteland due to some looming threat. This would be recalled in future issues.
- Neo Metal Sonic successfully takes over Angel Island, a plan he was seen enacting in Sonic the Hedgehog #6-#7. The island would be liberated in Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 3".
- The base that Sonic and co. infiltrate in this issue is based on Arsenal Pyramid from Sonic Forces.
- The name icons for the characters that appear in this issue are drawn in the same style as the one used for Sonic's name on his promotional artwork for Sonic Adventure.
- Sonic's lines "Way too slow! C'mon! Step it up!" are based on the lines he says during his taunts in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- The way Silver introduced himself is similar to how he did so in the Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2015 issue that was published by Archie Comics.
- Sonic mentioning his imprisonment in a space cell for six months is a reference to Sonic's time spent as a prisoner of Eggman's in Sonic Forces.
- This is the first comic issue in the history of the Sonic franchise in which profanity is used as Silver exclaimed "Oh, crap!" upon learning about Neo Metal Sonic's plans.
- E-107 Theta was set to appear in the Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog #258, but was replaced with E-106 Eta to avoid legal issues due to his previous mention in the Light Mobius arc by Ken Penders.
- E-107 Theta is integrated into the base's defense system much like E-105 Zeta was integrated into the Egg Carrier in Sonic Adventure.
- Previously: Previously is a summary of previous issues' key story moments. It features a page of relevant panels from the previous issue.
- Roll Call: Roll Call acts as a quick reference guide to new readers about the characters. This issue provides data files on Sonic, Knuckles, the Spina, E-107 Theta, Amy and Neo Metal Sonic.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Sonic Letters Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them.
- Powerpuff Girls: The Time Tie #1 - Free Digital Ashcan
- Silver: Mind if I cut in?
- Sonic: Silver! I had that, man!
- Silver: S-Sorry. I didn't mean to step on your toes.
- Silver: How do you not know about the Guardian Angel?
- Sonic: I spent six months in a small cell in space. I missed a few things.
- Silver: Oh, right! You missed most of the war. Multiple units in the Resistance reported a mysterious person who would turn the tide of battle, but never joined the army. Whoever it was saved my life more than once! They must be here to help us again!
- Sonic: So is that why you came back from the future? Looking for an autograph?
- Whisper: Whisper.
- Sonic: Cool.
- Silver: Okay, but... why?
- Sonic: No, genius. Whisper is her name.
- Silver: Oh. Right.
- Both cover A and B suggest different points of view between Sonic, Silver and Whisper. Evan Stanley did this by having cover B use the same image of Sonic from cover A to depict him in the reflection of Whisper's mask scope.
- The release date for this issue was originally listed as 22 August 2018, but according to David Mariotte, due to the it going to print ahead of schedule, it was released a week early on 15 August 2018.
- The solicitations originally cited Gigi Dutreix as the B cover artist, but according to David Mariotte, her cover had to be pushed back for reasons not given.