- There's a new kid on the block! And a new... tower? While Tangle tries to initiate Belle into the Restoration, Sonic, Amy, and Tails investigate a mysterious looking tower that has popped up. Everyone is pushed to their limits in "Test Run"!
Test Run, Part 1
- Story: Evan Stanley
- Art: Adam Bryce Thomas
- Colors: Reggie Graham
- Letters: Shawn Lee
- Assistant Editor: Riley Farmer
- Editor: David Mariotte
- Special thanks to: Mai Kiyotaki, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, Sonic Team, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
Sonic, Tails and Belle walk through a town, with the latter asking if the Restoration would really take her in. Sonic declares that they will as they are super chill and everyone there is a volunteer who wishes to help others who have had it rough with following the events of the Metal Virus pandemic. Tails mentions that the Restoration have also been working to find anyone who is still missing, like Belle's creator. Belle looks around at the ruined town and asks if they are in the right place. Sonic confirms that they are, with him and Tails leading the robot to a tool shed. Inside, Tails tilts a garden shovel, activating an elevator that lowers the trio down. Tails says that Amy and the Restoration decided to preserve the town's ruins as a memorial to what people already lost. Instead, they built inside what was left over. When the elevator opens, Belle is introduced to the new Restoration HQ.
After a moment, Sonic is greeted by an eager Amy, accompanied by Jewel. He asks if she was done with being director for the Restoration, which she confirms; she was only there to wrap up a few things and make sure that Jewel was okay. Tails says that they are here to give Belle a place to stay. Jewel accepts, happy to have another volunteer and friend of Sonic's. She asks what kind of skills Belle has, to which she responds wood-working. Though she knows that they did not do a lot of that, Jewel figures that she could work in the machine shop. She asks a volunteer to guide Belle over to the machine shop. Following this, Tails encourages Belle saying that she will do great. Belle nervously accepts this. Amy and Jewel give Sonic and Tails a tour of the new HQ, explaining how they believed that they would never get through it. Jewel introduces the boys to the central hub, with Amy mentioning how she would dislike it if she had to do more paperwork for the Restoration. They are soon met by a volunteer who has important information for Jewel.
Meanwhile, Belle receives some unkind comments on her appearance as she passes other volunteers. Once she is brought to the machine shop, she meets the main volunteer in charge there, who asks her to grab a wrench and give him a hand with a donpa sedan. Belle soon moves boxes while the volunteer works on the car, only for him to see that her tail caught on fire. Shortly after, Belle gives him coffee that he does not take a liking to. Shortly afterward, while carrying a crate, she tells herself to pull herself together as she was built for work, so she had to stop worrying about what people thought of her. Her tail gets caught under a forklift, causing her to let go of the crate. When she pulls her tail back, she accidentally kicks the crate upward. The crate cuts the rope holding a boat upward, causing others to run away. While Belle thinks of how she can help, Tangle jumps in and uses her tail to hold back the boat, though she mentions for help to maintain it as it was very heavy.
As Belle believes she is in the clear, the machine shop volunteer berates her, calling her a liability to herself and others, and he could not have that in his shop. He tells her to leave, and as Belle tries to apologize, Tangle steps in saying that she will take it from here. The volunteer allows both of them to leave, considering Tangle was not allowed there either due to their ball bearing incident. Tangle claims he had no appreciation for physical comedy. While Belle claims that this is a disaster, Tangle disagrees as she was new and first days are always rough. She also compliments Belle on her kick, which she explains happens whenever her tail is pulled. Tangle is excited over knowing that she also has weird tail powers and introduces herself to the robot. The lemur wishes to go on and pull off sick stunts with Belle, hoping for something exciting to happen. The pair overhear two volunteers talk about freak storms that have been occurring all along the coast, deeming it unnatural and wondering if Dr. Eggman was behind it. Tangle grins while Belle nervously anticipates what may happen next.
Tangle carries Belle and runs to the central hub to meet Sonic, Tails, Amy and Jewel already beginning their analysis. Jewel brings up the last picture that their scouting drone took before the storm surge took it out. The picture is of a tower with a large galaxy-like sphere of energy at the top surrounded by two rings. Tails points out the energy coming from the top, suggesting that something that powerful would affect cloud formation in the area, causing storms. Jewel states that it was beyond what the Restoration could handle, but they could not leave the villages in danger. Sonic confidently states that if Eggman was up to something, he and Tails would handle it. Amy chimes in saying that she would join so as to not miss out on another adventure with him. Tangle also wishes to join them, only for Jewel to stop her and tell her that she had inventory duty this week. Sonic tries to cheer her up by saying the next time Eggman causes trouble, she will be called. Belle thinks to herself of how "he" may be at the tower. However, if she says she has to go, everyone else will know why. Tangle goes off to do work but is stopped by Belle whispering to her of how she has an idea.
Sonic, Tails and Amy later arrive at the tower in the Tornado. Sonic believes Eggman may be building some sort of weather machine and jumps off the plane to clear out some Egg Pawns. Tails and Amy join him in breaking down a door into the building. After they burst in, the trio fall through an unknown gate. Meanwhile, Tangle asks Belle if she was sure about her plan, leading the robot to ask her if she wanted to help Sonic or not. Once Tangle says yes, the pair uncover an Extreme Gear bike. Tangle asks if she could get it going, to which Belle confirms. While she tinkers with the wiring, Tangle says that she joined the Restoration when Jewel took over. However, now she hardly sees her as she was working hard to help others. Reconsidering, Tangle thinks of returning. However, Belle manages to get the bike working, allowing her and Tangle to take off with it, much to the annoyance of the machine shop volunteer. Tangle mentions that she had never driven one of them before and Belle responds that it was too late to worry about it now.
Back at the tower, Sonic, Tails and Amy find themselves in a completely new room. Tails discovers that the door that led them there was now broken beyond repair, making him believe that it was overloaded when they fell through. Amy worries that it set off some sort of alarm, but Sonic give it little mind, glad to just be inside of the building for answers. Moving on, Sonic finds and Egg Pawn and destroys it, making him believe that they were getting close as where there were Badniks was something worth finding. Tails finds chalk and wonders why the Egg Pawn had it. Sonic and Amy pay little attention to it and continue along, which annoys Tails. Ten minutes later, the trio have found nothing. Tails decides to test something out; he draws an arrow with the chalk on a wall and leads the other two around a corner where he draws another arrow. They return back to the original wall to discover that the mark Tails made had disappeared. This makes Tails deduce that the place is changing around them as they moved through it. Amy asks what they should do about it. The fox says he does not have an answer as he did not think that far ahead yet. Sonic decides to conduct his own test to see if the building could keep up with him.
He grabs both Tails and Amy's hands and rushes down the hallways. As he does so, the trio find themselves running through a spectrum of colored hallways. Not only are they in different directions, but the three of them find themselves mirrored. Unsure of where to go next, Amy just tells Sonic to go faster; Sonic asks if she is sure, to which she says no but feels that if they could out-pace the maze, they could break it. Sonic complies and travels even faster. Amy throws her hammer at a wall and Sonic kicks it into it to break the maze. However, the trio suddenly fall into an unknown space.
- Amy Rose
- Egg Pawn (multiple)
- Dr. Eggman (mentioned)
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic explains the Restoration is helping people rebuild in the wake of the Metal Virus plague and its aftermath, which occurred from Sonic the Hedgehog #13, "Calling Card" to Sonic the Hedgehog #32, "Recovery, Part 2".
- Tails mentions Belle's "missing" creator, whom she told him about in Sonic the Hedgehog #34, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 2".
- Silver's garden is seen in this issue, an area first seen in Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2019, "Victory Garden". Furthermore, the tool shed seen in the same area has become the entrance to the Restoration's new base.
- Jewel is still working with the Restoration, which she became the leader of after Amy stepped down in Sonic the Hedgehog #31, "Recovery, Part 1".
- Amy states that she did not want to miss out on another adventure with Sonic, which is in reference to Sonic the Hedgehog #33-#34, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases", where Sonic went to investigate an abandoned Dr. Eggman base while Amy went to White Park.
- Tangle and Belle depart the new Restoration HQ for Eggman's tower. They would arrive there in Sonic the Hedgehog #38, "Test Run, Part 2".
- Sonic, Tails and Amy gets trapped inside Dr. Eggman's test chambers. They would escape in Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Test Run, Part 4".
- A background character resembling Gadget Hackwrench from Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers is seen walking in front of the shop below Sonic and his friends in the third panel on page three.
- Belle appears on page five accompanying Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Jewel on their tour of the HQ, despite just leaving to go to the machine shop.
- The orangutan mechanic mentions a "Donpa Sedan," referencing Donpa Motors from Team Sonic Racing.
- Sonic mentions Dr. Eggman's previous endeavors, particularly summoning a "god of destruction" and digging up "some ancient fighting robots", which is in reference to Sonic Adventure (Chaos), Sonic Unleashed (Dark Gaia), and Sonic Battle (Emerl) respectively.
- Story so far: "Story so far" is a summary of the current plotline for the comic.
- Roll Call: Roll Call acts as a quick reference guide to new readers about the characters. This issue provides data files on Sonic, Amy, Tails, Jewel, Tangle and Belle.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Sonic Letters Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them. Only one page is featured in this issue. The other pages showcase raw artwork of the variant covers for the issue.
- Creator Corner: Creator Corner is a section where one of the staff that works on the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series is interviewed. In this case, the section is dedicated to Adam Bryce Thomas.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Tangle & Whisper #1 - Free Digital Ashcan
- Tangle: Don't worry, guys, I got this! No "boats" about it.
- This issue was originally scheduled for release on 13 January 2021, but was delayed to 3 February 2021 and then to 10 February 2021. It was later delayed again to 24 February 2021.
- Cover B contains numerous references and Easter Eggs:
- The top of the cover is designed after the background of the Special Stages from Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors.
- The background for the Babylon Rogues is based on the Special Stages from Sonic Heroes.
- The background for the Chaotix is designed after the Special Stages from Sonic Advance.
- The background for Rough, Tumble, and Mimic is designed after the Special Stages from the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Lost World.
- The background for Metal Sonic is designed after the Special Stages from Sonic the Hedgehog CD (specifically the 5th one) and Sonic Mania.
- In the center of the cover, a totem pole from Green Hill Zone can be seen along with three monitors: one for Invincible, one for Power Sneakers, and one for Random.
- Below Dr. Eggman, the background is designed after the Special Stages from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II. Several 20 Rings and Red Star Rings can also be seen. Behind that, the Special Stage design that first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles appears.
- The background for Omega is designed after the Special Stages from the Sega Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast.
- The background for Cream, Vanilla, Cheese, Chocola, and Gemerl features all of the unique Wisp types to date, including Yacker and Mother Wisp. Marine the Raccoon can be also be seen. The background is designed after Game Land from the Wii version of Sonic Colors.
- As such, this would be Mother Wisp's first cameo appearance before her official introduction in the comics.
- The background for Tangle, Whisper, and Jewel is designed after the Special Stages from Sonic Advance 3.
- The background for Amy, Knuckles, and Rouge is designed after the Special Stages from the original Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I.
- Sonic and Tails appear to be in the icon ring that has appeared in various Sonic media but debuted on the title screen for the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Blaze is seen carrying the Jeweled Scepter from Sonic Rush Adventure.
- Orbot is holding a checkered flag, which is in reference to how checkered flags can be seen at the beginning of Special Stages in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and some games that followed after.
- Cubot is using two pom poms. One of them says "Get Blue Spheres" and the other "Get Fifty Rings!". This is a reference to the Special Stages of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 2, respectively.
- The Lost Hex and the Sonic Forces design of the Death Egg can be seen behind Dr. Eggman.
- A broken Warp Topaz and Angel Island can be seen behind Dr. Starline.
- Animals from the original Sonic the Hedgehog, a Neutral Chao, a Hero Chao, a Dark Chao, Omochao, and the four types of Flickies from Sonic 3D Blast can be seen scattered across the cover.
- The Egg Mobile is carrying a wrecking ball. This is a reference to the Egg Mobile-H that first appeared in the original Sonic the Hedgehog.
- The planets at the top and bottom of the cover are meant to represent Sonic's world and Blaze's world.
- Cover RI pays homage to the title screen from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- Sonic The Hedgehog (2018-) #37. Comixology. Retrieved on 8 February 2021.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #37 CVR A EVAN STANLEY. Previews World (23 October 2020). Retrieved on 23 October 2020.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #37 CVR B JON GRAY. Previews World (23 October 2020). Retrieved on 23 October 2020.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #37 10 COPY INCV FOURDRAINE. Previews World (23 October 2020). Retrieved on 23 October 2020.
- Jonathan Gray on Twitter. Twitter (24 October 2020). Retrieved on 25 October 2020.