- Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times, this is going to be a bumpy one! Rogue[sic] calls on Sonic and Tails for backup after the appearance of a hooded villain at White Park. The recently-revealed shadowy figure from Eggman's base tags along, but can they really be trusted? All will be revealed in "Chao Races and Badnik Bases," part three!
Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 3
- Story: Evan Stanley
- Art: Adam Bryce Thomas
- Colors: Reggie Graham
- Letters: Shawn Lee
- Assistant Editor: Riley Farmer
- Editor: David Mariotte
- Special thanks to: Mai Kiyotaki, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, Sonic Team, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
Sonic, Tails and Belle still find themselves surrounded by several Egg Keepers and exploding Beats. While trying to fend them off, Sonic states that it will not last forever. Tails mentions that he has a plan and tells the pair to follow him. Flying to the door, he leads some Beats to him. When they detonate, Tails jumps away so that they bring the door down. Seeing their exit, Sonic carries Belle and hops on the heads of Egg Keepers to leave the room. He then kicks down the door fully to allow the gang to exit. Sonic then runs ahead, asking the other two to follow him. However, Tails is captured by an Egg Keeper, prompting him to yell for help. Belle sets herself to save Tails and asks the fox to ready himself. She pulls on her tail and releases to propel herself forward and grab Tails away from the robot. Seeing that the duo are free, Sonic grabs both of them and runs out of the base. After landing in the snow, Tails says that they should let the others know what happened. Before doing anything, Tails gets a message from Rouge.
In the message, she tells him that there was trouble on their end and she needed them to meet her in White Park as soon as possible. She says that she will fill them in when they arrive and sends their coordinates. Rouge adds that Tails should drop Sonic off at the chateau to help Amy and the others. Though Sonic and Tails do not understand the urgency, they know that it sounds serious and they have to get going. With this, Sonic says goodbye to Belle. However, the puppet robot asks for ride which Sonic gives no answer to. Tails pulls Sonic aside to state that they could not just leave Belle alone as she saved his life twice. Belle states that she was not looking for trouble and wishes to prove it, while adding that her hiding place was full of Badniks now and she did not have anywhere else to go. Sonic reluctantly agrees to let her join them in their trip to White Park. As Tails flies the Tornado, Sonic and Belle ride on its wings.
At the chateau, Sonic and Belle meet up with Amy who hugs the former and says that she knew he would come. When Sonic expresses surprise at this, Amy reveals that she did not actually know but she was not complaining. She says that she came down here to see if she could find Rouge as she left to call Tails; they needed Tails' help in figuring out which parts to take. According to Sonic, Tails was not with him as they heard from Rouge that she needed him for an emergency. Amy says that she knew nothing about that; though there were some snags, she would not call it an emergency. With this, Amy asks Sonic to follow her up to the penthouse to see if he could bust open something. Before this, Amy is introduced to Belle. In the penthouse, Sonic is greeted by a troubled Cream who tells him that they could not break open the cage holding the captive Chao without hurting them, and there were many locks. Hearing this, Belle exclaims that she can do locks. She opens her fingers revealing several handyman tools and states that she was the person to turn to for anything that needed tinkering with. Cream is overjoyed at this while Sonic is left slightly stunned. While Cream and Belle formally introduce themselves to each other, Sonic asks Amy what is wrong. She explains that she has a bad feeling about Rouge and Tails; if Rouge changed the plan, she should have told her. After declaring that they need to find them, Sonic says that he will do a sweep outside and find them. After he leaves, Cream asks where Sonic went to. Amy explains that he went to get Tails and would be right back. Gemerl states that their situation is still extremely tenuous and they did not have the time. Before the robot could finish his sentence, the lights are turned off and they hear a chilling laugh.
Clutch managed to escape, saying that he pretended to remain unconscious for a while. Raising up her hammer, Amy calls Clutch to come out and fight fair. Clutch instead takes a shot at Amy with his cane. He explains that he leaves his door unlocked because the people who know why are not foolish enough to cross him; those who do not, according to him, will not make it out alive. Clicking a button on his cufflink, Clutch flees the scene and says his goodbyes to the group. Out from the shadows, a Snowy emerges. Amy and Gemerl prepare to battle the Badnik, only to see that more Badniks were activating and surrounding Cream, Cheese and Belle. Amy tells Gemerl to help Cream while she handles the Snowy on her own. The large Badnik takes a swing at her which she dodges. The hedgehog hits the Snowy with her hammer but it barely dents it. She runs away from the Badnik as it tries to attack her, and she gives a want for Sonic to be present. Amy snaps herself out of it as she was not going to let the Badnik push her around and handle it herself. Declaring that being in charge of the Restoration was tougher than anything it can throw at her and beating robots like it was her specialty, Amy hits a piece of furniture at the Snowy. This angers the Badnik and it continues to pursue Amy.
Nearby, Tails wakes up restrained next to a tied up Rouge on a roller coaster, with a hooded figure at the front seat. Tails to Rouge saying that he landed the Tornado where she said and she attacked him. Rouge says that she did not do it in her own free will. According to the bat, she was hypnotized into someone else's dirty work; though she did not know why, she believes that she knew who it was. The hooded figure replies saying that she should not give the surprise away so soon. They were glad that she enjoyed his mind trick but comments that it was a shame that it would not last. They continue by saying they could have done better with a bit more with time, though it was plenty for a touch of subliminal suggestion. The hooded figure then adds that they looked forward to more sessions with Rouge as she was an exceptional sleeper agent. According to the hooded figure, as soon as the coaster reaches the edge of the park, they will hop off and make their exit; then they will have plenty of time to talk when they are imprisoned in their test chambers. Looking around the roller coaster's tracks, Sonic spots sees the hooded figure, Tails and Rouge inside the moving vehicle and rushes down to meet them. When the hooded figure sees Sonic, they throw one of the carts at him to knock him off of his balance and off of the tracks. Luckily for the hedgehog, he is rescued by Shadow, though he is berated by him for not being able to dodge the attack and is called an embarrassment. Sonic, nonetheless, greets Shadow kindly.
When Sonic asks if Shadow was also after the coaster, the latter replies that he had the wrong man before, but not this time. Sonic yells at the figure to tell them that it was rude to throw roller coasters at people and he expects a full apology. Before Tails can warn Sonic, the hooded figure reveals themself to be Dr. Starline. Sonic asks where he has been, only for the doctor to say that it was none of his business and he was too busy for a fight today as he had places to go and people to kidnap. Sonic is okay with this, saying that he will make the beatdown extra quick. Starline tells him that he prepared a surprise for him; an explosion occurs at a nearby mountain that causes an avalanche heading straight for the chateau. With this, Starline poses Sonic and Shadow with the option of saving Tails and Rouge, or instead save the hundreds of innocent people still inside the chateau.
- Amy Rose
- Belle the Tinkerer
- Clutch the Opossum
- Cream the Rabbit
- Dr. Starline
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Restoration (mentioned)
- Team Dark
Races and species:
- Sonic, Tails and Belle are still stuck in Dr. Eggman's abandoned base surrounded by Badniks following the events of the previous issue.
- Rouge contacts Tails like she said she would in the previous issue.
- Gemerl is still damaged from his battle with Dr. Eggman in Sonic the Hedgehog #32, "Recovery, Part 2".
- Amy, Cream, Cheese and Gemerl are still looking for ways to free Clutch's captive Chao following the events of the previous issue.
- Clutch is still unconscious following the events of the previous issue.
- Amy recalls leading the Restoration, which began in Sonic the Hedgehog #13, "Calling Card" and ended in Sonic the Hedgehog #31, "Recovery, Part 1".
- Starline still has the Tricore he created in Sonic the Hedgehog: Bad Guys #2, "Smash & Grab".
- Starline captures Tails and Rouge. They would remain in his captivity until the next issue.
- Rouge begins cutting her ropes on a sharp edge of her seat on the roller coaster to free herself. This would be accomplished in the next issue.
- Starline recalls fighting Sonic in Frozen Peak, which occurred in Sonic the Hedgehog #14, "Misdirection".
- Sonic and Shadow start chasing after Starline. They would continue that into the next issue.
- Starline triggers an avalanche. This avalanche would continue into the next issue.
- On page seven, the character based on the anthropomorphic avatar of Bobby Schroeder (known online as "ponettplus") appears as a cameo in this issue following her previous cameo in Sonic the Hedgehog #33, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 1". She is once again seen with a few Chao that resemble Ferox from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
- The character that can be seen talking to her is based on the anthropomorphic avatar of Eli (known online as "Plague of Gripes").
- On page fifteen, after coming to, Tails says "Ooh, my head is spinning..." This is a reference to Tails' in-game quote "Wow, my head's spinning!" from Sonic Heroes.
- Story so far: "Story so far" is a summary of the current plotline for the comic.
- Roll Call: Roll Call acts as a quick reference guide to new readers about the characters. This issue provides data files on Sonic, Amy, Tails, Rouge, Omega, Cream, Cheese, Gemerl and Belle.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Sonic Letters Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them. Only one page is featured in this issue. The other pages showcase raw artwork of the variant covers for the issue.
- Creator Corner: Creator Corner is a section where one of the staff that works on the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series is interviewed. In this case, the section is dedicated to Reggie Graham.
- Goosebumps: Download and Die! #1 - Free Digital Ashcan
- Sonic: Hold on tight, we're gettin' out of here. Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times!
- Amy: I knew you'd come!
- Sonic: Unf-- You did?
- Amy: No, but I'm not complaining.
- Cream: I'm Cream! What's your name?
- Belle: Belle! Nice to meet you. Hey, is that guy...?
- Cream: A big meanie? Yep.
- Belle: O-Oh, okay...
- Shadow: You couldn't even dodge that? You really are an embarrassment.
- Sonic: Oh! Hi, Shadow. Nice to see you, too.
- Sonic: Hey, you! It's rude to throw roller coasters at people! I expect a full apology!
- This issue was initially going to be released on 25 November 2020, but was soon moved to 2 December 2020.
- On cover A, there is an advertisement for "Chaos Cola" and features Shadow holding a cup of it. This is in reference to the Chaos Cola and Chaos Soda billboards in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2.
- The kindergarten principal from Sonic Adventure 2 can be seen as part of the crowd on cover A.
- Two Chao on cover A look similar to Sonic and Shadow. The two can be seen mimicking the duo's infamous rivalry between each other.
- On cover A, there is a Chao that can be seen with a rock for headwear and wears a tag that reads the number "8". This is in reference to the SpongeBob SquarePants episode, "The Great Snail Race", where Patrick enters in his pet rock, Rocky, as a participant in the Bikini Bottom Snail Race and is given the race number of "8".
- On cover A, a capybara can be seen eating ice cream while a Flicky sits on his head. This was a character concept that was originally drawn by Diana Skelly and requested by Aaron Hammerstrom, the artist for the cover.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #35 CVR A HAMMERSTROM. Previews World (21 August 2020). Retrieved on 21 August 2020.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #35 CVR B ROTHLISBERGER. Previews World (21 August 2020). Retrieved on 21 August 2020.
- SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #35 10 COPY INCV FOURDRAINE. Previews World (21 August 2020). Retrieved on 21 August 2020.
- Plague Of Gripes on Twitter. Twitter (9 May 2021). Retrieved on 9 May 2021.
- Aaron Hammerstrom on Twitter. Twitter (21 August 2020). Retrieved on 21 August 2020.