- "Plague!" As the infection spreads across a helpless city, the Chaotix Detective Agency stands alone against the horde. Will even the world's fastest hedgehog be quick enough to provide back-up, or will the city fall? The Chaotix take the case as things go from bad to worse!
- Written by: Ian Flynn
- Art by: Tracy Yardley
- Colors by: Leonardo Ito
- Letters by: Shawn Lee
- Assistant Editor: Megan Brown
- Editor: David Mariotte
- Special thanks to: Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Aaron Webber, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
At the Chaotix Detective Agency in Seaside City, Vector gets off of the phone with Tails who updated him on all the current events; Dr. Eggman had apparently returned and was using a new substance to turn people into creatures called "Zombots". Sonic had gotten infected himself but has to stay on the move to keep it in check. After Vector relays this information to his partners, Charmy worries that the Zombots will come for them. As Espio does not want to rule out any possibilities, Vector tells his partners that they would still have a lot of time before the infection would reach them and that they should instead focus on their next client. Just then, a Zombot slams open the doors and is soon accompanied by several other Zombots. Espio tries throwing a kunai at one of the Zombots but it is barely scratched. Charmy then tries to attack the Zombots, only to be quickly stopped by Vector, reminding the bee he cannot touch a Zombot otherwise he will become one too. The Chaotix escape through the back entrance to hide in the city, only to discover that it had been invaded by the Faceship, which was in the progress of pouring out the Metal Virus all over the population. Charmy relays to his teammates how he does not believe he can fly them up to the flagship. Vector tells Charmy not to worry and makes the decision to deal with the Zombots downtown. The crocodile proceeds to pick up a stop sign and hit a Zombot with it. He then reaches for his headphones to call Amy.
In Restoration HQ, Amy is brought a phone by a fellow Restoration member, with the latter telling her that Vector was on the phone. Vector tells Amy that Seaside City was invaded by Eggman and Zombots were now all over the place. Amy promises Vector that she will send a Rescue Shuttle. When Vector asks for back-up, Amy tells him that she will put in a call to anyone who is in the area, hoping that Sonic or anyone else will see Eggman. As Espio asks for an update, Vector tells him that help is on the way but not immediately, leaving the Chaotix to fend for themselves. When Vector realizes that plants can be affected too, he realizes that getting the citizens out of the city was not necessarily safer. He decides that the citizens should be moved down to the docks as they could use it as a choke point and it was the best defensible decision they had. Vector tells his teammates to split up and help guide citizens to the docks but not to touch the already infected.
Charmy helps distract some Zombots from attacking civilians while Espio captures some infected with his kunai. Vector helps to move a vehicle full of citizens that was stuck. Afterwards, he soon finds himself cornered by several Zombots. Luckily, Sonic creates a vortex and knocks the gang away. Sonic goes on to tell Vector that he can help hit bop some Zombots as he was already infected but he had to keep moving as the more he hit, the faster the infection spreads. Vector tells Sonic of his plan to move the citizens down to the docks, which he approves of. Sonic tells Vector that he will do his best to cover him. As Charmy guides some citizens down a street, some notice that a woman among them has been touched by a Zombot and the infection was slowly spreading on her. Charmy asks Espio for what to do but receives no clear answer. Vector arrives and traps the protesting woman within behind four cars, apologizing for his actions. Vector moves the rest along as Charmy scolds the crocodile for husband actions. Vector tells Charmy that they have to get as many uninfected people down to the docks and if they have time later they will come back for the sick. Espio tells Charmy that they do not have time to debate and requests that they continue to follow Vector's lead.
Sonic helps to clear the stairwell for a couple on the top of a building. He sees a Rescue Shuttle fly in overheard and becomes relieved that the evacuation could truly begin. As Sonic realizes the shuttle would attract the attention of the Zombots, he knows he cannot stay around too long or he will become a Zombot and be no help to anyone. With this, Sonic quickly runs out of the city to burn off his infection some more. At the docks, the Chaotix have created a barricade for the uninfected so that they could reach the Rescue Shuttle. As Vector and Espio keep Zombots at bay, Charmy counts the uninfected survivors and realizes that there were more people in the city who were not present. He decides to save the rest and starts to head towards the lady that Vector trapped within cars as she did not change yet. Espio tried to grab the bee with his kunai, only for a Zombot to bite on it. Vector tells after Charmy to come back but he does not listen.
Charmy arrives to help the woman but she has fully turned into Zombot. She lunges at the young bee, startling him. A horde of Zombots surround Charmy from below and one grabs his foot, pulling him down. Charmy is then swarmed by Zombots as he calls out for help. Sonic arrives by the docks to see Espio holding Vector back from going into the city again. Vector tells Sonic that Charmy went back into the city and did not return. Espio reminds Vector that he would also not return if he went after him. The soldier on-board the Rescue Shuttle lets the trio know that a city's worth of Zombots was closing in on them and they had to leave immediately. Sonic tells Vector and Espio that he will look for Charmy and sets off to find the young bee as the detectives leave in the shuttle with the uninfected.
- Dr. Eggman (Mentioned)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Mentioned)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic is still infected with the Metal Virus he received in Sonic the Hedgehog #15, "Patient Zero".
- Dr. Eggman is still distributing the Metal Virus in the Faceship which he began doing in Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "Infection".
- Two street signs are seen with the writing "Oshima St" and "Naka Dr", which are named after Naoto Ohshima and Yuji Naka respectively.
- The Faceship is drawn to be distributing the Metal Virus upwards whereas in Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "Infection", the Faceship distributes it face down.
- Tracy Yardley stated that he did not realize at the time of drawing it that the Faceship flew face down and it did not occur to him to ask. However, he mentioned that it worked better visually to see the face of the Faceship from such distances.
- Previously: Previously is a summary of previous issues' key story moments. It features a page of relevant panels from the previous issue.
- Roll Call: Roll Call acts as a quick reference guide to new readers about the characters. This issue provides data files on Sonic, Vector, Espio and Charmy.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: Tangle & Whisper preview
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Amazing Adventures: Robotanimals #1 - Free Digital Ashcan
- Sonic: I heard you could use a hand.
- Vector: What is it with you and the dramatic timing!?
- Sonic: Now the evacuation can begin for real. It's going to get the attention of the Zombots, though. I better- Brrr... Man, this is a nasty feeling... I want to protect everyone... But I'm no good to anyone if I turn into a Zombot. Better run this off. Faster! I've got to get back to them! Faster!
- Sonic: They're right. You guys get out of here. I'll sweep the city and look for Charmy.
- Vector: B-But...! A-All right...
- Sonic: "I'll do my best to find him."
- This issue was initially going to be released on 29 May 2019, but was later moved up to 22 May 2019 instead.
- Tracy Yardley stated that this was one of the most challenging issues he worked on.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #17 CVR A LAWRENCE. Previews World (22 February 2019). Retrieved on 22 February 2019.
- ↑ SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #17 CVR B PEPPERS. Previews World (22 February 2019). Retrieved on 22 February 2019.
- ↑ SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #17 10 COPY INCV FOURDRAINE. Previews World (22 February 2019). Retrieved on 22 February 2019.
- ↑ Tracy Yardley on Twitter. Twitter (14 May 2019). Retrieved on 15 May 2018.
- ↑ Tracy Yardley on Twitter. Twitter (15 May 2019). Retrieved on 15 May 2018.
- ↑ Tracy Yardley on Twitter. Twitter (14 May 2019). Retrieved on 15 May 2018.