- "The Battle for Angel Island," Part Four. The thrilling conclusion to the Battle of Angel Island saga! As Sonic and his friends work to restore Angel Island, two questions remain: is Neo Metal Sonic truly defeated, and what other trouble is brewing?
- The cap on IDW's first year of Sonic the Hedgehog adventures-and the lead-in to year two!
- An old foe returns...
The Cost of the Battle for Angel Island
- Written by: Ian Flynn
- Art by: Evan Stanley & Tracy Yardley
- Colors by: Matt Herms
- Letters by: Shawn Lee
- Assistant Editor: Megan Brown
- Editor: David Mariotte
- Published by: Greg Goldstein
- Special thanks to: Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Aaron Webber, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
Sonic and Tails have Metal Sonic chained up in a laboratory. Tails confirms to Sonic that Metal Sonic's basic abilities were restored after his disconnection with the Master Emerald. Tails tells him that he has finished the necessary repairs for the robot, prompting Sonic to ask for Metal Sonic to be turned back online. Tails asks Sonic if he is confident in his decision, which the hedgehog confirms. Tails thus turns Metal Sonic back online. When Metal Sonic sees Sonic he immediately breaks out of his chains and lunges at him. However, the weakened Metal Sonic only falls into Sonic's arms instead, which the latter expected to happen. Sonic tells Metal Sonic that the battle between them is over as Dr. Eggman has been reformed and the robot does not owe him anything. Sonic requests for Metal Sonic to give peace a chance and call a truce between them, saying that they do not even need to see each other again so long as Metal Sonic does no harm. Instead, the stubborn Metal Sonic swipes at Sonic's extended hand and takes off. Tails asks Sonic if they should go after Metal Sonic to which the Sonic says no as the robot was given the choice to live how he wants to and they have to honor that decision. Tails adds that they do not need to worry about Eggman repairing or weaponizing him either.
- Master Emerald (Mentioned)
- Metal Sonic is brought online after being shut down following his defeat in Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 3".
- Sonic and Tails mention Dr. Eggman's inability to continue his evil acts which was first discovered in Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman Part 1".
- Previously: Previously is a summary of previous issues' key story moments. It features a page of relevant panels from the previous issue.
- Tails: Are you okay?
- Sonic: Yeah
- Tails: Shouldn't we go after him?
- Sonic: Nah. We gave him the choice to live how he wants. We've got to honor his decision.
- This issue was initially planned for released on 19 December 2018 but was delayed to 9 January 2019 due to a change in the release schedule for the series. It was later delayed again to 16 January 2019 due to a "unavoidable processing mix-up".
- Cover B is laid out as concept artwork of Dr. Starline.
- The name icon for Dr. Starline that appears on cover B is drawn in the same style as the one used for Sonic's name on his promotional artwork for Sonic Adventure.
- It was previously used for Starline in Sonic the Hedgehog #11.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 David Mariotte on Facebook. Facebook (2 January 2019). Retrieved on 3 January 2019.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #12 CVR A STANLEY. Previews World (19 September 2018). Retrieved on 19 September 2018.
- ↑ SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #12 10 COPY INCV FOURDRAINE. Previews World (19 September 2018). Retrieved on 19 September 2018.
- ↑ Matt Herms on Twitter. Twitter (7 December 2018). Retrieved on 7 December 2018.
- ↑ Tails Channel. Twitter (3 January 2019). Retrieved on 3 January 2019.