Sonic the Hedgehog Free Comic Book Day
- Sonic's racing into a brand-new adventure with his best buds (and co-stars of the hit new movie) Tails and Knuckles by his side! But Sonic's not the only super-speedster in town... Get caught up with everything you need to know about Sonic's evil counterpart Surge before she and Sonic go head-to-head in the epic issue #50, a story years in the making!
- Story: Ian Flynn
- Art: Bracardi Curry
- Letters: Shawn Lee
- Editor: David Mariotte, Riley Farmer
- Special thanks to: Mai Kiyotaki, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, Sonic Team, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
Sonic and Tails travel to Angel Island in the Tornado. After landing, Sonic greets Knuckles, who says he had second thoughts about asking Sonic to come to Angel Island, losing his temper and blaming Sonic for bringing Eggman, monsters, and a plague the last time he came to the island. Sonic argues that the world was at stake and Knuckles rebuts that he was above it all until Sonic dragged it up to Angel Island. Tails cuts in and points out that thanks to Knuckles' help, they were able to save everyone. Knuckles agrees and back off from Sonic. Knuckles then explains that there have been some strange rumblings in Marble Garden and that, because they work together well, he called for Sonic and Tails' help. Sonic says he never thought he would see the day where Knuckles could count on them, and Knuckles replies he could count on Sonic to cause trouble and count on Tails to keep Sonic focused, to Sonic’s annoyance. Sonic shrugs it off, calling Knuckles “knucklehead”, and says that Team Heroes is together again on another adventure.
Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles make their way to Marble garden until Sonic points out it was on the other side of Angel Island. Tails mentions that to get there they would need to climb Red Mountain, pass through Ice Cap, and descend through the carnival. Sonic then mentions how it would be faster to use the Tornado, or take a shortcut through Hydrocity, though Sonic and Tails briefly get distracted by debating over wether the zone’s name is pronounced “Hydro city” or “Hydrocity”. Knuckles points out it does not matter and opens a shortcut through a cave. Sonic says another aerial view would have been nice, but the cave is pretty cool, too. Tails says he is always impressed with Knuckles' knowledge of Angel Island and Sonic remarks that it was the only way Knuckles could stay ahead of him. Knuckles states he still did not know everything about the Island, he references how he did not find this cave until he was scouring the Island for Metal Virus remains and mentions how there were whole regions he still did not know about and that he does not like that.
Not long after, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles find a door leading to Marble Garden and open it. Once they get there, Sonic says that last time he was in Marble Garden it was pretty unstable and Knuckles tells him the quakes have only gotten worse and to watch his step. Sonic points out how last time, it was because of Eggman. Knuckles agrees, but his sentence is then cut off by Eggman drilling through a wall in a humongous robot. They look at each other in shock and Eggman asks what they were doing there. Knuckles says the island is his home and Eggman corrects him and says he was referring to Sonic and Tails. Sonic says he and Tails are special guests and Eggman was not invited. Eggman says he was looking for rare materials and attacks the three heroes with his robot. Eggman ascends through the ceiling in his mech, causing fragments of it to fall onto the team. Knuckles punches it and Eggman says it is time to bury the three alive. He drills through the floor, causing it to crumble. Knuckles glides to the other side and catches the wall. Sonic, however, begins to fall, until Tails catches him. Tails carries Sonic up, allowing him to gain footing on rubble, and he jumps towards the mech. Tails catches him, spins around, and throws Sonic at the mech, with Sonic hitting it with a spin attack. Knuckles punches through the other side. Tails does a spin attack against the glass and together, they destroy the mech. Eggman states that he still tore up some real estate and that he could still claim victory. Tails yells that they decisively beat him and Sonic says how Eggman was causing the rumbling and the group sent him packing. Tails offers Knuckles to join them on the surface and relax for a bit and see what has been done with Restoration HQ. Knuckles appreciates the offer, but declines it, realizing there are still mysteries on Angel Island that have yet to be discovered and that he will not be satisfied until he has found them all. Sonic says that if he ever needs back-up again, he knows who to call and Knuckles thanks him for the help, with Sonic saying “Anytime”.
- Dr. Eggman
- Team Heroes (first appearance)
- Sonic's dimension
- Metal Virus (mentioned)
- Knuckles makes reference to Sonic bringing the Metal Virus to Angel Island, which were the events that occurred in Sonic the Hedgehog #25-#29.
- On page four, Sonic and Tails debating over the pronunciation of Hydrocity Zone is a reference to fans in real life debating over the zone’s pronunciation.
- On page seven, Eggman calling Sonic a "blue rat" is a reference to a nickname Sonic gained in the mainline video game series, beginning with Erazor Djinn in Sonic and the Secret Rings.
Prelude to Disaster
- Starline, Surge and Kit narrate the events of Sonic the Hedgehog #1-#47, Sonic the Hedgehog: Bad Guys #1-#4 and Sonic the Hedgehog: Imposter Syndrome #1-#2.
- Sonic Letters Squad: Sonic Letters Squad is a section where the comic staff can post fan artwork and fan letters that have been sent in to them. The other page showcases the raw artwork for the main cover for this issue.
- Sonic: Aww! I never thought I'd see the day where you admitted you could count on us!
- Knuckles: I can count on you to cause trouble. I can count on Tails to keep you on target.
- Dr. Eggman: What are you doing here?!
- Knuckles: This is my home!
- Dr. Eggman: Not you! The blue rat and the brat!
- Sonic: We're special guests, where as you're an uninvited one.
- Tails: You're welcome to fly back with us. Relax a bit, maybe see what's been done with Restoration HQ?
- Knuckles: I appreciate the offer, but I'll pass. I realize now there're still mysteries on this island to be uncovered. I won't be satisfied until I've found them all.
- The release date of this issue given by previews was 6 April 2022.
- This comic was actually in stores before its actual release date, starting 24 April 2022.