IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Free Comic Book Day 2021 is a Free Comic Book Day issue for the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series published by IDW Publishing. This issue is also made to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- Celebrating 30 years of the world's fastest hedgehog! There's no telling how Sonic will react when he sees the results of Amy Rose's new hobby-she's been making tell-all comics about her adventures with Sonic, Miles "Tails" Prower, and their friends! New York Times bestselling author Gale Galligan (The Baby-Sitters Club graphic novels) spills the beans! Plus, fun extras to catch readers up on Sonic's ongoing adventures, on the road to issue 50!
- Sonics 30th anniversary celebration will be a huge priority for IDW and Sega this year!
Amy's New Hobby
- Story: Gale Galligan
- Art: Thomas Rothlisberger
- Colors: Nathalie Fourdraine
- Letters: Shawn Lee
- Assistant Editor: Riley Farmer
- Editor: David Mariotte
- Special thanks to: Mai Kiyotaki, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, Sonic Team, and everyone at Sega for their invaluable assistance
Tails walks to Amy's house and waves to her car, the Breeze. Amy is busy setting the table, preparing for Tails' arrival. Soon, she hears a knock at the door and allows the fox cub to enter. Tails explains that since Sonic was out doing his solo thing, he was getting lonely by himself; Amy notes that she knows the feeling. Looking at all the snacks that Amy prepared, Tails happily tells her that she did not need to do this but she does not mind. The young hedgehog then asks what Sonic was up to this time, with Tails replying that he was just patrolling around. According to him, Sonic gets a little stir-crazy if he stands still for a short while. Amy jokes that it must have caused a few problems and Tails confirms this. The fox cub talks about one time where they were looking for Dr. Eggman's new secret base and decided to wait for Badniks to show up so that they could see where they went. This meant staying quiet and standing still. However, as soon as Sonic saw the robots, he ran out from behind the bushes to destroy the Badniks with a Spin Dash. Tails falters in continuing his story once he sees Amy writing down something.
Tails flies over Amy to see what she was writing, which startles her. The fox cub teasingly asks if she was taking notes on Sonic, or even secretly working for Eggman. Amy denies this but struggles to give a reason. She asks Tails not to make fun of her and leads him to her desk. There, she presents a large book to him. Inside, he finds fan comics that Amy has made of herself and the others, including Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman.
- Amy Rose
- Badniks (mentioned)
- Dr. Eggman (mentioned)
- Knuckles the Echidna (drawings)
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Sonic the Hedgehog (mentioned)
- Breeze (first appearance)
- Little Planet flowers (first appearance)
- Spin Dash
- Amy's house features several references to Sonic the Hedgehog CD, which was her debut game:
- At the bottom of page four, Amy wrote Sonic's name with a Cool S.
Race to the Empire
- The cover features several references and Easter eggs:
- The sticky note seen in the left corner of the cover features lyrics from "Fastest Thing Alive", the theme song for the Sonic the Hedgehog television series.
- Tails is seen in Emerald Hill Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the game in which he debuted.
- Knuckles is seen in Mushroom Hill Zone from Sonic & Knuckles.
- Amy is seen in Collision Chaos's good future, from Sonic the Hedgehog CD, the game in which she debuted.
- Full Line-Up of Free Comic Book Day 2021 Comic Books Announced. Diamond Comic Distributors (17 March 2021). Archived from the original on 22 March 2021. Retrieved on 25 March 2021.
- FCBD 2021 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 30TH ANNIVERSARY. Previews World (19 March 2021). Retrieved on 19 March 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 30th Anniversary Free Comic Book Day 2021 at IDW Sonic Hub Wiki, the IDW Sonic wiki.