Hyper Sonic (ハイパーソニック Haipā Sonikku?) is a transformation that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is the hyper transformation of Sonic the Hedgehog that is obtained by collecting all seven Super Emeralds, Chaos Emeralds that have been enhanced by the Master Emerald. To trigger the transformation, Sonic must collect at least fifty Rings and perform the Insta-Shield.
Hyper Sonic looks very similar to Super Sonic, sharing the same body proportions and raised quills. However, Hyper Sonic flashes in all seven colors of the Chaos/Super Emeralds and has large flashing sparks floating around him. When moving, he leaves several after-images.
Powers and abilities
A more powerful transformation than Super Sonic, Hyper Sonic has enhanced super speed, surpassing that of Super Sonic. He also has all of Super Sonic's abilities, such as invincibility to all attacks, improved speed and strength, and greater jumping abilities. Since Hyper Sonic is generally an upgraded version of Super Sonic, it can be assumed that all of Hyper Sonic's physical abilities surpass that of Super Sonic's. Hyper Sonic is completely invulnerable towards physical harm from attacks and the environment and can breathe underwater. However, he can still die by being crushed, falling into a pit, or running out of time. He can also perform a devastating lightning attack, which can be used to launch him in any direction and destroys all enemies on-screen (except bosses) with a bright flash.
As with all Chaos/Super Emerald-caused transformations, once Hyper Sonic runs out of Rings, the state will end and he will revert back to normal.
- Hyper Sonic's name comes from the term hypersonic, which is a speed above supersonic (which is defined as any speed Mach 5 or greater than it).
- Hyper Sonic's new ability can somehow force him to enter a Bonus Stage without jumping into a Star Circle.
- Much like his Super State, when Sonic is in his Hyper form, certain objects glow in the same colors he is in due to using shared palettes, such as various Flickies and Item Boxes, as well as his icon in the bottom left of the HUD.
- In Launch Base Zone Act 2, if Sonic transforms into either Super or Hyper Sonic underwater, then he will have a color scheme similar to Shadow the Hedgehog's for one of the frames of his transformation.
- Like Tails and Knuckles, if the player turns into Hyper Sonic with S in Debug Mode when the level ends and quickly turn back into a box, the name "Sonic" in "Sonic Got Through Act 1/2" turns into Hyper Sonic's colors.
- Like Super Sonic, Hyper Sonic repurposes Sonic's base form sprites.
- In the files of Sonic Mania concerning Special Stages, the word "Hyper" can be found. This could mean Hyper versions of characters were planned but were scrapped during development.