Heavy the Robot is a character that appears in Knuckles' Chaotix. He is a robot mechanic created by Dr. Robotnik who, together with his co-worker Bomb, form Robotnik's Mechanix. However, he apparently abandoned his master to work with Robotnik's enemies.
Heavy is a clunky, silver construction with red oven mitts for hands and a gray/black body which resembles a coffee kettle. He possesses long, flat and rectangular feet and has springs for legs.
During Dr. Robotnik's operations in the Newtrogic High Zone, Heavy worked as Robotnik's chief mechanic, alongside fellow mechanic Bomb. Supposedly, they escaped from Robotnik's clutches to assist Knuckles and his allies in their operations against the doctor, although it is speculated that the duo's true goal was to slow the heroes down for Robotnik. Whatever Heavy and Bomb's true intentions were, Knuckles and his allies succeeded in stopping Robotnik's plans.
Powers and abilities
Heavy possesses total invulnerability, making him impervious to any form of attack. It also enables him to mow down any foe in his path.
As his name suggests, Heavy is extremely heavy and slow.
Heavy has a tendency to skid uncontrollably on the floor, causing the player to lose control of Heavy or be dragged around if he is selected as a partner.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Heavy and his partner Bomb were created by Dr. Robotnik, but defected upon becoming self-aware. After temporarily joining the Chaotix, Heavy and Bomb disappeared. They eventually came back, serving in Royal Secret Service under Geoffrey St. John. However, on one mission, the two were reprogrammed to assassinate the Acorn family, and were destroyed by the defending Sonic and co. Later, rebuilt versions of the two were sent to assassinate Mina Mongoose. However, they were also thwarted and seemingly destroyed. Heavy and Bomb were later rebuilt and reprogrammed back to their sentient selves by Rotor to protect New Mobotropolis as members of Team Freedom.
- Heavy and Bomb were the first robots to turn on Eggman and help Sonic's allies. Others who followed are E-102 Gamma and E-123 Omega, although their allegiance is questionable.
- Heavy's invincibility is very handy when used in combination with Charmy's flying (as long as Charmy is the leader).
- In Knuckles' Chaotix, Heavy and Bomb can be paired up with any of the other characters, but not with each other (unless the level select code is used).
- If one uses an Action Replay code, they can select Heavy and Bomb at the bottom of the character select screen, where their names are listed as Heavy the Mechanic and Bomb the Mechanic. Similarly, they are listed in the manual as "Robotnik's Mechanix".
- Multiple copies of Heavy can be seen in the Combi Catcher, suggesting Robotnik may have built more then one model of him.