The Heavy King (ヘビーキング Hebī Kingu?) is an antagonist that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The leader of the Hard Boiled Heavies, the Heavy King is an enhanced version of the Egg-Robo created by Dr. Eggman. Struck with the power of the Phantom Ruby, the Heavy King led his troop into battle against the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog.
Originally an Egg-Robo, the Heavy King only received a makeover when he stumbled upon the Phantom Ruby. Decorated as a mixture between a king and a knight, the Heavy King has a red cape, signifying his rank among the other Hard Boiled Heavies as the leader. His appearance seems to be based of both the "Classic" and "Modern" incarnations of Dr. Eggman (having a cape similar to Classic, but having a chestplate resembling the jacket of Modern). The Heavy King has spiked knee joints and triangular shoulder pads along with red boots with golden forefeet. He also has bronze-colored armor-plating on his chest with a white crown symbol. He also has gray appendages and red eyes.
The Heavy King was originally an elite Egg-Robo who handled the most extreme tasks for his creator, Dr. Eggman. After detecting a mysterious energy source on Angel Island, Eggman sent the Heavy King and his Hard Boiled Heavies to investigate. Upon reaching Angel Island, he and his troop excavated the energy source, the Phantom Ruby, just as Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower arrived. The Phantom Ruby promptly warped space-time around them, transforming the Heavy King into his royal-esque attire along with his troop. As a side effect of the ruby, the Heavy King and his team gained free wills and personalities of their own, though they were driven mad in the process.
The Phantom Ruby transported the Hard Boiled Heavies, along with Sonic, Tails, and a nearby Knuckles the Echidna, to the Green Hill Zone, where the troop fled with the gemstone. After that, the Hard Boiled Heavies planned to keep the Phantom Ruby for themselves. The Heavy King and his troop soon met Eggman again though, who tried to command the group. When they would not listen though, Eggman snatched the Phantom Ruby from their clutches. The Heavy King and his troop then fled the scene.
Some time after, while the Heavy Rider was preoccupying Sonic and Tails in Lava Reef Zone, the Heavy King took this chance to steal the Master Emerald, but not before Knuckles could arrive. Knuckles proceeded to attack Heavy King before he could successfully steal the gem. Even when using the power of the Master Emerald to fight the echidna, the Heavy King was still defeated by Knuckles, who smashed his scepter, and retreated.
When Sonic and Eggman were sent to Egg Reverie Zone with the Phantom Ruby, a powered-up incarnation of the Heavy King known as the Phantom King arrived on the scene where he swiped the Phantom Ruby and used it to power himself. However, the Phantom King met resistance when Eggman (with the Klepto Mobile) and Super Sonic fought him separately for ownership of the Phantom Ruby. At the end of the conflict, the Heavy King was seemingly destroyed by Super Sonic.
Sonic Mania Plus
In Sonic Mania Plus, the Heavy King (still in his Phantom King form) had been destroyed after the events in the Egg Reverie Zone, his remains having been left on Angel Island with most of the other Phantom Heavies. However, after Sonic's return with the Phantom Ruby following the War to Take Back the Planet, the Heavy Magician was able to steal the Phantom Ruby and give it to the Phantom King, who used it to revive himself and the rest of the Hard Boiled Heavies, just as Sonic and his companion caught up to them. The group's resurrection also triggered a warp that sent them all to Green Hill Zone. There, the Heavy King and the Hard Boiled Heavies fled with the Phantom Ruby in hand. When they regrouped, the group thought they could keep the Phantom Ruby to themselves. However, Eggman showed up again and took the ruby when they would not obey him, leaving the Heavy King and his troop to flee the scene.
Not long after, the Heavy King tried to steal the Master Emerald again. However, his attempt was thwarted by Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray. In an attempt to seize victory, the Heavy King harnessed the Master Emerald's power. However, he was still defeated and retreated after his scepter got shattered.
After stopping Eggman's usage of the Phantom Ruby, which was seemingly lost after their battle, Sonic and co. went to an ice cream parlor. There, the Heavy King surprised Sonic and friends with a giant sundae.
Compared to the other Hard Boiled Heavies, the Heavy King gives of the impression of a brooding, stone-cold authority figure, a complete opposite to the more flamboyant members of his troop. Strict and serious, he rules his troop with an iron fist. With just one look, he is able to command his troop, as seen when the Heavy Gunner immediately followed orders with just one glare from him. He keeps a watchful eye on his colleagues, implying he is extremely alert of a situation. Like the other Hard Boiled Heavies, he wishes to do harm to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles whether it be by orders from Eggman or by his own, chaotic nature.
Powers and abilities
The Heavy King displays a sheer level of authority, commanding his troops with just a simple glare. He can also fly at will and is more durable than the average Egg-Robo. Also, after coming into contact with the Phantom Ruby, the Heavy King gained the ability to absorb and manipulate energy, as shown during his battle with Knuckles where he would absorb energy from the Master Emerald and then channel it through his scepter.
The Heavy King possessed a powerful scepter that could fire purple lasers and conjure up spheres of powerful energy which the Heavy King could control telekinetically. With power provided from the Master Emerald, its laser could cause explosions and its energy spheres would be arranged into a shield. However, this scepter was broken during the Heavy King's fight with Knuckles.
Through unknown means, the Heavy King can assume a more powerful state called the Phantom King. In this form, he gains a massive power boost when harnessing the power of the Phantom Ruby, enough to bypass a Super State user's invulnerability with his most powerful attacks. The powers he command in this form includes flight, increased strength, and energy manipulation that does not rely on his base form's scepter.
In Sonic Mania, the Heavy King is fought with Knuckles at the end of his version of Lava Reef Zone Act 2. In Sonic Mania Plus, he is fought with Knuckles at the end of his version of Lava Reef Zone Act 2 in Mania Mode, and with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty or Ray at the end of Lava Reef Zone Act 2 in Encore Mode (if the right path is taken).
This boss battle will be initiated after the playable character stops the Heavy King's theft of the Master Emerald. The battle itself takes place in the Master Emerald's altar, whose large Emeralds act as platforms. When the battle begins, the Heavy King will attempt to utilize the power of the Master Emerald, similar to Mecha Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. He does so by periodically jumping onto the Master Emerald and absorbing some power from it. He will then hover around the shrine while utilizing one of three attacks:
- Beams: The Heavy King fires two purple beams across the floor with his scepter. These lasers will emit shockwaves on the floor in their aftermaths that will damage the player upon contact. These beams can be avoided though by standing on top of the Super Emerald replicas, or the Master Emerald.
- Spheres: The Heavy King creates a shield of spheres around himself that will block Knuckles' attacks. He then proceeds to bounce around the shrine while firing his spheres directly at Knuckles. This attack is best avoided by staying on the move.
- Bullets: The Heavy King fires a barrage of bullets around the shrine. The Super Emerald replicates can be used as covers for this attack however. Occasionally, the Heavy King may use this attack directly after his beam attack.
After launching his attack(s), the Heavy King will retreat to the Master Emerald and repeat his attack pattern. It is during this period that he will be most vulnerable to attacks. He can also be attacked while he is hovering in the air after charging energy. Hit the Heavy King eight times and he will admit defeat and flee. The player can then proceed to the Capsule and finish the Zone.
|Havoc Prognosis||Tee Lopes||1:35|
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, the Heavy King is the leader of the Hard Boiled Heavies and the commander-in-chief of Dr. Eggman's Badnik army. His past is virtually identical to his game counterpart's, up until after the events of Sonic Mania. Eventually rebuilt by Eggman, Heavy King overthrew Eggman and tried to conquer the world, but was defeated and returned to Eggman's service.
- The Heavy King makes a cameo within Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2 in the form of a painting. The Heavy King's eyes on this painting will stare at the player's current position until they leave the area.
- Despite having red eyes, the Heavy King's silhouette in the opening animation for Sonic Mania depicts him with yellow-glowing eyes instead of red. However, in the boss fight in Lava Reef Act 2 with Knuckles, his eyes temporarily glow yellow.
- The Heavy King is the only member of the Hard Boiled Heavies who does not use "Hi-Spec Robo Go!" as his boss theme like the others, instead sharing "Havoc Prognosis" with the Weather Globe in Studiopolis Zone and Gachapandora in Metallic Madness Zone.
- If Knuckles is Super Knuckles during the cutscene with the Heavy King in Hidden Palace Zone, he will glow the same Super Knuckles colors in the flashback he has of himself and Eggman there too.
- This is likely due to the sprites possessing the same color palette, resulting in the same animation.
- Sonic Mania English instruction manual.
- Sonic Mania Japanese instruction manual.
- Sega. "Story So Far". Sonic Mania Introduction Manual. Sega. p. 1. "Some time after saving Angel Island, Sonic the Hedgehog and his best friend, Miles "Tails" Prower, are relaxing when Tails picks up a strange energy reading far away. Though different from the Chaos Emeralds, the reading is remarkably powerful, and Tails convinces Sonic to join him to check it out. Sonic and Tails take off on the Tornado towards the source, but sure enough, the evil Dr. Eggman has detected it too! Now it's a race between Sonic and Eggman to get there first and figure out what mysteries it holds. However, Eggman has been busy: he's just unleashed a new team of elite Egg-Robos to handle his most important tasks. They're called the "Hard-Boiled Heavies," and they're about to reach the source of the signal first! It's up to Sonic, Tails, & their newest ally, Knuckles the Echidna, to defeat the Hard-Boiled Heavies, unlock the secrets of the energy source, and stop Dr. Eggman!"
- Sonic Mania English instruction manual.
- Live Sonic Mania Developer Playthrough (5:49:13). Stealth (20 August 2017). Retrieved on 22 August 2017.