Health (ライフ Raifu?, lit. "Life"), also known as Repair (リペア Ripea?), is an Item Box power-up that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. When obtained, it restores the player's Health Gauge.
The Item Boxes with Health feature a specific icon whose appearance depends on the game.
When obtaining this power-up in gameplay, the player's HP Gauge will be replenished by a certain amount. How much depends on the game.
Sonic Adventure 2
The Health power-up first appeared in Sonic Adventure 2 and its enhanced port Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, where it went by the name Health (ライフ Raifu?, lit. "Life"). In this game, the Item Boxes with Health contain a white-framed square icon of a white medicine box with a red cross on a black background. In the 2012 remaster of the game, however, the red cross was changed to a red "H". This is due to the Red Cross cracking down on unauthorized use of the symbol as to ensure it keeps the power and respect it deserves.
In gameplay, Health only appears in the Lock-on Shooting stages. When obtaining it, it fully replenishes the playable character's HP Gauge (if they have taken damage prior to this) while granting the player 200 points. Also, like other Item Box power-ups, Health will respawn every time after the player has lost a life.
Sonic Rush Adventure
In Sonic Rush Adventure, Health is referred to as Repair (リペア Ripea?) (as it refills the HP Gauge of machines). In this game, the Item Boxes with Repair contain a black icon that depicts a white gear with eight teeth.
In gameplay, Repair only appears in the Sea stages. When obtaining it, it refills the player's HP Gauge by either 25, 50 or 100 percent at random. In addition, it grants the player 500 points.
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
In the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, this power-up is referred to as Health and is depicted as generic and pink cartoony hearts with white outlines. In the Dream Events, they appear as Item Box power-ups, where they come in two variations: large Health that restore a huge amount of the character's Health Gauge and small Health that only restore a little amount of health.
- Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) United States instruction booklet, pg. 19.
- Sega CS2, Sonic Team, Racjin. (15 November 2011). Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games. Wii. Sega. Area/Level: Dream Fencing menu. "Health (Large) (Small) bio: Pick up Health items to restore your health. There are two types--big and small."
- Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast) Japanese instruction booklet, pg. 26.
- Sonic Rush Adventure (Nintendo DS) United States instruction booklet, pg. 18.
- (in Japanese) ソニックラッシュアドベンチャー最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. December 2007. p. 10. ISBN 4091063969.
- It may just be a game to you but, it means the world to us. Canadian Red Cross.