The Hang Mobile (ハングモービル Hangu Mōbiru?), also known as the Egg Hanger, is a vehicle that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a modified Egg Mobile created by Dr. Robotnik, who used it during the second part of the Angel Island incident.
The Hang Mobile is basically the standard Egg Mobile. Oval in shape, it possesses its usual windshield and yellow seat. It also has a flamethrower on its top part. The vehicle is also surrounded by silver armor that features two gray "arms" with large, crimson, spiked hooks on the ends.
Features and abilities
The Hang Mobile has the ability of hanging on thin, long, horizontal bars using its hooks. It also can spew flames using its flamethrower.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
In Sonic & Knuckles, and its lock-on version Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Dr. Robotnik used the Hang Mobile during an effort to destroy Sonic and Tails during the Flying Battery Zone's fall. However, the vehicle was destroyed by the heroes.
Later, Dr. Robotnik would re-build the Hang Mobile and use it to attack Knuckles in Flying Battery Zone. Unlike other mechs that were used by the EggRobo, the doctor would use the vehicle himself. However, the Hang Mobile was destroyed by the echidna anyway.
The Hang Mobile is the second of two bosses of Flying Battery Zone in Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, the fifth boss in Sonic & Knuckles, and the eighteenth (or sixteenth in Knuckles' story) in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. In Sonic & Knuckles, it is battled with Sonic or Knuckles, while in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, it can also be battled with Tails either alone or as Sonic's partner.
The battle takes place on a flat, thin, long, horizontal bar. Dr. Robotnik will move the Hang Mobile in the direction of the player. Occasionally, the mobile itself will swing vertically around a total of four times. The mobile can be hit with an Spin Attack once with each spin. Jumping between the spiked hooks will cause Robotnik to fire flames using the flamethrower on top of the mobile, but can be avoided by quickly jumping away. Touching the hooks will hurt the playable character.
While playing as Knuckles, the battle will be the same, except that Robotnik will be more aggressive than before by firing the flamethrower non-stop.
- Unlike other battles, the Hang Mobile has different sprites for Robotnik. As such, no EggRobo will be driving the vehicle while playing as Knuckles.
- Not counting glitches and hacks, this would make the Hang Mobile the only boss in the game that is not driven by the EggRobo.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 55. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Bosses: Act 2 - Hang Mobile. Dr. Eggman tries to back you into a corner before swinging around. Watch out for the flamethrower over his head!"
- (in Japanese) ソニックメガコレクション最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. 1 March 2003. p. 160. ISBN 978-4091060907.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 58. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Bosses - Egg Hanger"