The Gunslinger Trooper (ガンリンガー・トルーパー Ganringā torūpā?) is an enemy that appears in the Sonic Boom series. It is a mass-produced model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient which specializes in long-ranged attacks.
The regular Gunslinger Troopers are humanoid and armored dark golden robots with grey joints and yellow-green lights. They have slightly short arms and legs compared to their torso, pointy shoulders, no visible neck, a yellow-green eye with a slit-like pupil and a curved horn on top for a head, and a ring-shaped collar. Instead of hands, they have round laser cannons with running green lights.
The stronger variant of the Gunslinger Troopers are colored white with dark golden joints.
The Gunslinger Troopers were created by Lyric the Last Ancient about a millennium ago to aid with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. After Lyric was imprisoned before reaching his goal, the Gunslinger Troopers were shut down. However, as a contingency plan, Lyric left some of them behind to be found so the finders would set him free to learn the Gunslinger Troopers' secrets. They were eventually found by Dr. Eggman who made them a part of his army and battle Team Sonic for him. After Lyric was freed though, he reactivated and/or reclaimed his Gunslinger Troopers to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
The Gunslinger Troopers are some of the more common enemies. They come in a regular variant which has golden armor, and a stronger one which has white armor. Both variants are first seen in Lyric's Tomb, but they are fought in Cliff's Excavation Site, Abandoned Research Facility, Lyric's Weapon Facility, The Pit, Slowpoke Isle, Ocean Purification Plant, Creeper Gorge, Sky Citadel and Lyric's Lair. The regular variant is first fought in the Abandoned Research Facility while the stronger ones are first fought in The Pit.
In gameplay, the regular Gunslinger Troopers attack either close up with a punch or from afar by shooting two lasers in a row. As defensive tactics, they will walk backwards to avoid the player until they either get far enough away or the player catches them. The stronger Gunslinger Troopers, however, are faster, can perform quick dashes to better dodge attacks, can fire shots in greater quantity, and have an extra attack where they shoot several widespread lasers. Also, the regular Gunslinger Troopers have fairly low health and are easy to defeat, but the stronger ones have much more health and are generally tougher. When defeated, they release varying amount of Robot Scrap and three Rings.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Gunslinger Troopers were subsequently scrapped.
Overall, the Gunslinger Troopers are mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. Their loyalty is only superficial however, as the Gunslinger Troopers are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Gunslinger Troopers are equipped with energy cannons which can fire green energy beams for offense. In addition, they can shoot beams with enough focus and intensity to weld metal.
More advanced models have jets equipped on their backs which let them perform small midair dashes.
The Gunslinger Guards are models of the stronger variants of the Gunslinger Troopers that are equipped with shields. These shields can block minor attacks, but can be pulled away or shattered with powerful attacks. They have only appeared in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.
- The Gunslinger Troopers' name was not revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. However, their name is listed in an unused biography for the game.
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- 『ソニックトゥーン』多種多様な「破壊兵」やボスエネミー、お馴染みの敵キャラが公開 (Japanese). Inside Games (29 September 2014). Archived from the original on 1 January 2015.
- SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. "As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends."
- Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"