The Gun Beetle is a character that appears in the anime series Sonic X. It is a mass-produced robot model created and deployed by the military organization Guardian Units of the Nations following the Perfect Chaos incident.
The Gun Beetles resemble grey balls with blue outlines and armor on the front. On top of them, they have a sharp blue cap with a red-striped edge which is emblazoned with GUN's symbol and the number "01". Below this cap, reaching from just behind the edge of their front armor to far behind their back, they have a horizontal turbine disk with a red and blue-striped frame. On their "face", they also have a single lens. In addition, they come equipped with a thin red gun barrel on their bottom and box-shaped magazines on their lower rear.
Following Perfect Chaos' attack on Station Square, the Gun Beetles were constructed by GUN upon clearance from the President to combat the threat of Dr. Eggman. Supposedly, the Gun Beetles' design was derived from the studies of the E-Series robots that the government had gotten hold of. Unbeknownst to GUN, however, data on the Gun Beetles was hacked by Eggman.
When Sonic the Hedgehog had been framed by Shadow the Hedgehog for the theft of a Chaos Emerald, a swarm of Gun Beetles were sent to apprehend Sonic. Once they found him, however, they proved no match for the blue hedgehog. Prison Island also had its own Gun Beetle squadron which was unleashed against Eggman during his second invasion of the island. However, they were all unable to stop Eggman, who easily held them off while his plans were carried out.
Eventually, the leader of Prison Island sent troops of GUN robots, including the Gun Beetles, to attack Dr. Eggman in a final bid to kill the doctor, but they were all disposed of by the latter's Grand Egg Imperial.
Powers and abilities
The Gun Beetles are capable of flight and can move fast enough to keep up with even Sonic. With their cannons, they can fire yellow lasers powerful enough to cause small explosions upon impact.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Masaki, Hiro (30 October 2004). "Project: Shadow". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 33.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (16 November 2003). "Project: Shadow (Japanese dub)". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 33.
- ↑ Shiraishi, Masahiko (6 November 2004). "Shadow Knows". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 34.
- ↑ Houjou, Chinatsu (13 November 2004). "Sonic's Big Break". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 35.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (20 November 2004). "Shadow World". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 36.
- ↑ Houjou, Chinatsu (19 March 2005). "Running Out of Time". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 50.