Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition is a record book made by Guinness World Records. The book contains video game-related records, trivia, and countdowns.
- The Sonic the Hedgehog franchise was awarded seven records. The records include "Best Selling Game on Sega Systems", "Longest Running Comic Based on a Video Game" and "Best Selling Retro Game Compilation" (for Sonic Mega Collection).
- Sonic Heroes has the record for most playable characters in a platform game.
- Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog has the record for the longest running video game comic series ever. The cover of Sonic the Hedgehog #97 accompanied this section.
- Sega considered an armadillo as its mascot, and Sonic the Hedgehog was originally called "Mr. Needlemouse."
- The original Sonic the Hedgehog game has a limit of 9,999,990 points, and 23 people have scored this on the Xbox Live scoreboards.
- The world record for fastest completion time of Sonic the Hedgehog 2's Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 is Louis Tsiattalou with a time of 0:20. He did this at the Summer of Sonic convention using a Sega Mega Drive.
- The fastest completion of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 using Sonic as the player character is 49 minutes 17 seconds, achieved by James Richards (UK) in Maidstone, Kent, UK on 9 August 2008.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is number 15 on the list of Top 50 console games of all time.
- Page 96: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is placed 2nd on the list of "ten 2D platformers you should play".
- Page 97: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the best-selling game on any SEGA platform; 50 million unit sales have been made by "SEGA's long-running and ever-popular Sonic the Hedgehog series."
- Page 191: the Sonic the Hedgehog series is placed 15th in the Top 50 Video Game Series.
- Page 206: the Summer of Sonic convention is mentioned; according to "a number of polls", Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most recognizable of all video game characters; records for Sonic Rush and Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).
- Page 207: records for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Sonic features on the cover of the edition, coinciding with his 20th anniversary.
- Sonic placed tenth in the list of the Top 50 Video Game Characters, based on a poll of over 13,000 readers.
- Page 63: There are 4 games that feature both Mario and Sonic, three of which are part of the Mario & Sonic series.
- Page 109: Sonic and the Secret Rings is the Best-Selling Third-Party 3D Wii Platformer.
- Page 117: Sonic is a guest in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Page 185: Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) are listed at #33 and #28 respectively in "top 50 game endings".
- Pages 196-197: records for Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 3; information on the "lock-on technology" in Sonic & Knuckles.
- The event Summer of Sonic was recognized as the first official fan convention for a video game character.
- Page 25: Charles Griffin holds the record of fastest completion of the original Sonic the Hedgehog, being at 15 min 5 sec on 1 August 2008.
- Page 122-123: The Sonic the Hedgehog series is listed #19 in the Countdown of Top 50 game franchises of all time by the Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition Readers.
- Page 122: Sonic the Hedgehog had excess sales of 13 million across Sega consoles from the Sega Mega Drive and onwards.
- Page 122: Sonic himself debuted as the first video game character in Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade on 1993.
- Page 122: Mike "Mike89" McKenzie holds the record of fastest completion of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, being at 15 min 18 sec on 4 December 2013. He has beat his own record by almost a minute.
- Page 122: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is the best-selling gaming cross-over, having global sales of 12.99 million as of 31 July 2014.
- Page 122: Shawn Alvarez holds the fastest record of Skeleton Run on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, being at 65.05 sec on 16 February 2014.
- Page 123: Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is the first Wii U game and the first Sonic game to use the CryEngine game engine.
- Page 123: Sonic Boom is the first CG-animated Sonic the Hedgehog TV series.
- Page 123: "becky--jay" holds the record with the most game points on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. being 1,679.
- Page 123: Sonic Adventure 2 was the first Sonic game for a third-party platform that being the Nintendo Gamecube under the title Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.
- Page 123: Carlos Johnson ("DarkspinesSonic") holds the record for any-percentage speed-run record for Sonic Lost World, being 1 hr 9 min 34 sec on 22 May 2014.
- The summary of the Sonic Adventure 2 ending in the 2012 edition does not include the death of Shadow the Hedgehog.
- ↑ http://sonichogenglish.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/guinness-world-records-gamers-edition.html
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://uk.gamespot.com/news/spot-on-guinness-world-records-gamers-edition-6185294
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2009/10/new-sonic-2-world-record-doesnt-actually-beat-world-record/
- ↑ http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/guinness-world-records-gamers-edition-2009-fastest-mobile-gaming-rig-record-set
- ↑ http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/70596-Guiness-Book-of-World-Records-2009-Gamers-Edition
- ↑ http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/guinness-lists-top-50-games-of-all-time
- ↑ http://www.tssznews.com/2010/10/27/sonic-graces-guiness-world-records-for-gamers-cover/
- ↑ http://www.xboxer360.com/news/guinness-world-records-2011-gamers-edition-top-50-video-game-characters/
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/01/summer-of-sonic-wins-a-guinness-world-record/
- Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.