The Guardian is a golem made of carved brown-gray stones that give it the shape of a monster. Its size is just over twice of Sonic's.
In Sonic & Knuckles, and its lock-on version Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower were attacked by Guardian while they were passing through the Sandopolis Zone. Still, the clumsy golem fell into a quicksand pit, and the duo continued on their adventure as if nothing had happened.
Later, Guardian attacked Knuckles the Echidna while he was about to enter the Sandopolis Zone pyramid. As before, however, it fell into a quicksand pit, probably destroying it for good.
Powers and abilities
Despite its colossal size, the Guardian can make very high jumps that rival Sonic's. It is practically indestructible.
The Guardian's only weak point appears to be its head; upon hitting it, the golem will temporarily cover itself in a ball, making it look like it received a great pain. It is also extremely slow, takes a long time to jump and does not seem to know how to walk.
Sonic & Knuckles
Guardian is the boss of Sandopolis Zone Act 1 in Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. It is the fifth boss of the first, and the eighteenth of the last. In Sonic & Knuckles, it is confronted by Sonic or Knuckles in their respective stories, and in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, it can also be battled by Tails either on his own or as Sonic's partner.
Once the player reaches the end of Sandopolis Zone Act 1, they will fall into a pit, in which a pyramid will "rise" to the sandstone. After about thirty seconds, the door to the pyramid will open, the Guardian will exit, and the battle will begin.
The only action the Guardian will do is by jumping towards the player. The player can jump to hit the Guardian's head which will cause it to fall down while also knocking it over a small distance opposite to the direction it was facing, though it will eventually get back up. Unlike most other boss battles in the game, the player cannot defeat the Guardian by simply attacking the boss's weak spot. To win, the player must lure the Guardian into jumping towards the quicksand pit on the left side of the field. Once the Guardian is standing right next to the quicksand, the player can then defeat the Guardian by making it jump into the quicksand while the player is in the quicksand.. Alternatively, while the Guardian is airborne, the player can run underneath to move to the other side of the Guardian, then hit its head when it turns around to knock it into the quicksand.
Once the Guardian falls into the pit, it will be destroyed, and a Goal Plate will fall to end the Act.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
A Guardian was awoken when Captain Plunder raised the lost pyramid. Since they could not beat it, Knuckles instead lured it into some quicksand. Another was activated by Nack the Weasel and used against Knuckles and the Chaotix Crew, but the group beat it by shrinking it down to a manageable size.
- The spinning Goal Post does not drop down at the location of the sub-boss when it was defeated (because this would cause the Goal Plate to land in the quicksand pit). Instead, it drops at a set point on solid land (but can still be knocked into the quicksand pit if the player hits it before it lands).
- Additionally, the boss music doesn't end until the Goal Plate lands on the ground and Sonic/Tails/Knuckles perform their victory pose (unlike other bosses whose music ends after dealing the final hit).
- The Egg Golem from Sonic Adventure 2 slightly resembles the Guardian. Coincidentally, the boss of Sandopolis Zone is also called the Egg Golem.
- This sub-boss is somewhat similar to other self-defeating bosses in Sonic & Knuckles, such as Gapsule or Barrier Eggman, both of whom appeared in Flying Battery Zone.
- Super Tails can make this boss encounter a nuisance, as the Flickies can constantly attack the Guardian, thus preventing it from jumping toward the quicksand as needed. This can be circumvented by simply not activating the transformation or just eventually running out of Rings.