- For the version of this location after the Super Genesis Wave, see Wood Zone. For the location in the Sonic the Hedgehog television series, see Great Forest (SatAM).
The Great Forest is a location that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It was a massive wooded area beyond the former site of Robotropolis, and covered much of Northamer. It acted as a safe haven for the Mobians who managed to escape the city during Dr. Ivo Robotnik's military coup; Knothole was built deep within the forest and remained hidden there for over a decade. For many years it acted as the home for the Knothole Freedom Fighters; however, when Knothole was bombarded by the Egg Fleet, the surrounding portion of the forest was burned to the ground. Despite this, much of the remains intact.
The Great Forest is a broadleaf forest that dominates most of the Northamer continent. Many trees are hundred of years old, especially at the center. It is so large and so thick that it conceals the shallow Great Valley from aerial view.
The Great Forest developed many centuries before Mobius' modern era. Within its bounds there existed a number of limestone caverns, many of which were later exposed by erosion to become the Great Valley. The valley became the site of Knothole Village, a small village that served as a refuge to inhabitants of the Kingdom of Acorn in times of trouble, such as the Great War. It particularly served the House of Acorn and their court, but later became home to many of the former residents of Mobotropolis following the city's takeover by Dr. Ivo Robotnik.
The forest, as Knothole's hiding place, served as staging grounds for two groups of Freedom Fighters: the Original Freedom Fighters under Tig Stripe, and the Knothole Freedom Fighters under Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn. In particular, the later group used one of the caverns near the village as their clubhouse, eventually transforming it into Freedom HQ. The Great Forest continued to serve as Knothole's hiding place throughout the First Robotnik War and well into the second, though Knothole's development later made its location obvious to outsiders.
Ultimately, Knothole was destroyed by an attack launched by the Egg Fleet, and its citizens relocated to New Mobotropolis. Freedom HQ remained the Freedom Fighters' primary base for a time, but the region of Knothole was left largely uninhabited and became known as the Great Wastes.
Points of interest
- Great Valley
- Great Wastes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Great Forest & Knothole Village"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #102, "Sega Data File: 3 - Knothole Village"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #142, "The Original Freedom Fighters Part 1"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Meet Me at the Corner of Hedgehog & Vine!"
- ↑ Sonic Super Special #5, "When You and I Were Young, Sally"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #130, "Home Part 1 of 4: The Blue Blur Returns!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #175, "Eggman Empire"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #176, "Cracking the Empire"