Gems are objects that appear in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). They are small and rare crystals from Soleanna. In gameplay, the gems are Level Up Items that Sonic the Hedgehog can use to alter the appearance of his shoes, giving him specific Custom Actions. Gems can be purchased from the shop, but are only available after certain levels are completed.
When beginning the game as Sonic, the first Town Mission involves an old shoemaker named Alberto Robert. He has created the ultimate shoes, known as Custom Shoes, that use the power of Soleanna's mysterious stones to transform. He lets Sonic try out the Custom Shoes, and when the results of this test are successful, he is so proud of the shoes that he lets Sonic keep them.
List of Gems
|Gem||Custom Action||Price (Rings)||For sale|
|Green Gem||Tornado||5,000||After Tails' Wave Ocean|
|Blue Gem||Mach Speed||7,000|
|White Gem||Homing Smash||8,000||After Kingdom Valley|
|Sky Gem||Gun Drive||10,000|
|Yellow Gem||Thunder Guard||12,000|
- The gems are "emerald cut", and thus look like the Sol Emeralds.
- In the demo, it was hinted that an eighth gem, the Rainbow Gem, would have been included in the final game, but the idea was scrapped as the gem's function was never completed. However, it is believed that it would have caused Sonic to become Super Sonic.
- Due to the Action Gauge never being correctly implemented for Sonic's gems, it never drains, and as a result the gem powers can be used indefinitely.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (8 December 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/level: Castle Town. "Alberto Robert: The stones that you can fit into the shoes are called gems, and you can buy them at the shop over there. They're very rare, but if you put one in these Custom Shoes, they will give you an entire new ability."
- Sonic Cult // Sonic - Post 16 bit // Sonic The Hedgehog (Next Gen) // Hacking // Rainbow/Super Gem //. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 19 October 2020.