The Gachapandora is a large red and yellow vehicle with a sphere-shaped cockpit covered by glass on top. It has two see-through connecting tubes from the back to the front of it. It also has a gray crank in the center and a small dispenser underneath.
Features and traits
The Gachapandora can store eight "prizes" that contain miniature drones. These prizes come in the form of small capsules that can be dispensed by turning the gray crank on the machine clockwise. The Gachapandora is also capable of levitation.
In Sonic Mania, the Gachapandora was used by Dr. Eggman to battle Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (who had been miniaturized before the battle) after they infiltrated the Metallic Madness Zone. However, when Eggman's Gachapandora ran out of "prizes" to use against the heroes, he was forced to let his damaged machine's short-circuiting wires rain energy blasts down on his opponents. When Sonic and co. turned the crank on the Gachapandora however, Eggman ended up getting dispensed from his creation. Eggman subsequently bolted from the battle while his Gachapandora went up in flames.
Sonic Mania Plus
In Sonic Mania Plus, a seemingly rebuilt Gachapandora was used by Dr. Eggman to battle Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray after the heroes had been shrunk inside the Metallic Madness Zone. After the Gachapandora ran out of "prizes" to use against the heroes however, Eggman had no choice but to let his damaged machine's short-circuiting wires rain energy blasts down on his opponents. However, Sonic and co. managed to stay alive long enough to turn the crank on the Gachapandora and deposit Eggman from his machine, which subsequently went up in flames.
Before the player enters the boss arena, they are forcibly shrunken by a Size Beam. After the player enters the arena in miniaturized form, the beginning of the battle will be marked when the Gachapandora comes floating down from the top of the screen. The Gachapandora will not attack the player and simply hovers above the arena floor. The player is unable to damage the Gachapandora directly; to make progress, the player has to jump into the Gachapandora's crank to turn it and make it dispense one of eight capsules, which will fall to the ground and split open, upon which it will release either one of three robotic "prizes":
- A miniature version of the Egg Mobile-D, which will quickly drive to either ends of the screen. They must be hit three times to be destroyed.
- A miniature version of the Marble Zone boss. This mech will fly to either ends of the screen and shoot out fireballs every four seconds. These fireballs will also create temporary fires on the ground. They must be hit three times to be destroyed.
- A miniature robot that looks similar to Amy Rose. This robot will home in on the player if they get near it and grab onto them when they are close enough. After doing so, they self-destruct. The robots cannot be defeated by a Spin Jump as they jump at the same time the player does and bounces them back. A single Spin Dash is enough to destroy them though.
After all the capsules have been dispensed, the player must turn the crank once more to destroy the Gachapandora's tubes. This forces Eggman to ascend off-screen. After that, the player has to destroy all of Eggman's "prizes" before he enters his final phase. With the Gachapandora's tube containers now broken, Eggman uses the short-circuiting wires to send down small energy blasts at the player. The player must dodge these and when the Gachapandora comes close enough, they have to turn the crank one last time to dispense Eggman. Powerless, Eggman will run out of the room while the Gachapandora explodes and falls down a pit, ending the battle. The player can then run to the right to find a Size Beam for growth, followed by the Capsule, and finish the Zone.
|Havoc Prognosis||Tee Lopes||1:36|
- The Gachapandora is based upon Gashapon, small capsules that can be dispensed from vending machines.
- The name also seems to refer to the mythical Pandora's box which when opened released bad things into the world. Fittingly, when the boss' capsules are opened they release bad things (enemies).
- The "prizes" that Dr. Eggman dispenses are based on Egg Mobile-D, the Marble Zone boss and Amy Rose robots.
- The Gachapandora heavily resembles the Botanic Base boss from Knuckles' Chaotix.
- Dispensing all of the Gachapandora's eight capsules without destroying any of the robots they release will earn the player the "Collect 'Em All" achievement/trophy.
- ↑ While not listed in any instruction manuals, the internal files in the PC release of Sonic Mania refers to this boss as "Gachapandora".