The Frigate Orcan (クジラン Kujiran?), also known as simply the Orcan, is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It was a whale-based robotic ship created by Dr. Eggman. During the Wisp incident, it would guard one of Eggman's tractor beam generators, only to be destroyed by Sonic the Hedgehog.
The Frigate Orcan is a flying war machine with two whale-shaped coverings on its top.
In the Wii version of Sonic Colors, and its remaster Sonic Colors: Ultimate, the Frigate Orcan would guard the tractor beam generator in Starlight Carnival. When Sonic the Hedgehog eventually arrived at the generator, Captain Jelly, the Frigate Orcan would engage the hedgehog. However, it was destroyed by Sonic, resulting in the shutdown of its tractor beam generator.
Powers and abilities
The Frigate Orcan's main weapon is a machine gun that can fire rapid bullets of energy. In the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors, the Frigate Orcan also has an arsenal of missiles, iron balls, and lasers.
Wii/Sonic Colors: Ultimate
The Frigate Orcan is the boss of Starlight Carnival and the second or third boss of the Wii version of Sonic Colors and Sonic Colors: Ultimate (depending on the player's choices). It is fought with Sonic in Starlight Carnival Boss Act after clearing Starlight Carnival Act 6.
The fight starts out from a 3D perspective on a purple road made of energy which Sonic automatically runs along, all while the Frigate Orcan stays in front of him. During the battle, the Frigate Orcan shoots at Sonic with loads of yellow energy bullets. To stop this attack, the player must destroy its machine gun, or the lights and headlights on its front, by using the Homing Attack. Alternately, the player can also attack the Frigate Orcan's "eye", which is located above its machine gun. From time to time, the Frigate Orcan will drop Containers that yield Wisp Capsules containing Cyan Wisps or White Wisps, Rings and iron balls. If Sonic is able to get the Cyan Wisp, the player will be able to use the Cyan Laser to deal double the damage to the Frigate Orcan. Occasionally though, the perspective of the fight will change to a 2.5D perspective. In this perspective, the player must avoid the individually yellow energy bullets and attack the Frigate Orcan with the Homing Attack when he is at the right distance. This phase may repeat itself more than once. In order to destroy Frigate Orcan, the needs to be land sixty blows on the Frigate Orcan.
Obtaining an S-Rank in this battle depends on how many times the Cyan Laser is used along with the total ring count. In Sonic Colors: Ultimate, beating Frigate Orcan with an S-rank will unlock the achievement, "Crashing The Party Barge".
|"vs. Orcan & Skullian"||Tomoya Ohtani||3:12|
|"vs. Orcan & Skullian (Remix)"||Jun Senoue||3:37|
The Frigate Orcan is the boss of Starlight Carnival and the second or third boss of the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors (depending on the player's choices). It is fought with Sonic in Starlight Carnival Boss Act after clearing Starlight Carnival Act 2.
The fight starts out from a 2.5D perspective on a purple road made of energy which Sonic automatically runs along, all while the Frigate Orcan stays in front of him. During its first phase of the fight, the Frigate Orcan will drop three random objects from its cargo for Sonic to run into. These can be yellow capsules that, when destroyed at the right moment, will yield several Rings, iron balls, or a Wisp Capsule with an Orange Wisp inside. In order to deal damage to the Frigate Orcan, the player must Spin Jump at the right moment and hit the falling cargo in order to bounce it back on the Frigate Orcan. In addition, thanks to this strategy, the player can receive several extra White Wisps to power the Boost with. After repeating this pattern four times, the Frigate Orcan will descend towards Sonic and shower him with a barrage of projectiles. However, this gives the player a chance to land a series of blows on the Frigate Orcan. After taking enough damage however, it will move to the background and fire lasers at Sonic; the lasers will move up and down and can be avoided by moving to the side. After it is done, it will be vulnerable to attack. After taking enough damage, the Frigate Orcan will sound the alarm and descend onto the purple path in front of Sonic, revealing its weak point: an orange casing that the player can attack using various abilities or attacks, including the Boost. Upon attacking the Frigate Orcan in this state, this boss will explode. In order to defeat the Frigate Orcan faster though, the player should use the Orange Wisps' Orange Rocket to hit the Frigate Orcan's weak point, which will count as three hits.
- Destroying the stabilizers on either side of the Frigate Orcan in the Wii version of Sonic Colors and Sonic Colors: Ultimate will cause it to tilt to one side or another, causing its shots to miss the path Sonic is running on.
- In the Wii version of Sonic Colors, the Boss Act is the only Act of Starlight Carnival to have the Cyan Wisps.
- In the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors, the Frigate Orcan can drop an Orange Wisp Capsule, making it the only time a Wisp Capsule appears in 3D.
- Barba, Rick. "Starlight Carnival". . Bradygames. p. 80-81. ISBN 948-0-7440-1258-3.
- Blind Squirrel Games (7 September 2021). Sonic Colors: Ultimate. PlayStation 4. Sega. "Crashing The Party Barge description: Get An "S" Rank Against Frigate Orcan"
- Blind Squirrel Games (9 September 2021). Sonic Colors: Ultimate. PlayStation 4. Sega. "Crashing The Party Barge description (Japanese): クジラン戦でＳランク獲得"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (18 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Illustrations. "Illustrations 034 (Japanese): クジラン".
- Sonic Team, Dimps (16 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Illustrations. "Illustrations 034: Orcan".
- Vivid Sound X Hybrid Colors: Sonic Colors Original Soundtrack, Disc 2, Track 10 - "Vs. Orcan & Skullian"