The Fregosi Sapphire (also referred to as "Herman") is an object that appears in the Sonic Boom series. It is a sapphire from the Ancients that is a source of great power. It is currently kept by Knuckles the Echidna.
The Fregosi Sapphire is a football-sized blue gemstone which appears as cluster of rugged crystals. Very pure, it gives off a faint glow and sparkles.
Powers and traits
Described as (ambiguously) powerful, the Fregosi Sapphire is a great source of energy which can be harnessed as a power source for machinery. It is so powerful that it can increase a robot's power and durability to the point that it becomes nearly invincible. Even a fragment of it packs quite a punch.
The Fregosi Sapphire was uncovered at Mr. Slate's dig site of an Ancient ruin on Seaside Island. After Dr. Eggman failed to steal the Sapphire at its showcase, Knuckles the Echidna volunteered to guard it. The Fregosi Sapphire was eventually stolen again by Eggman, who used it to power his Mega Bot. The gemstone was soon retrieved by Team Sonic and returned to Knuckles, but a fragment broke off it during the escapade, one which Tails installed into Bea the Bee as her power source.
- The Fregosi Sapphire's name is a reference to the episode "The Fregosi Emerald" from The Munsters, a reference of which was included in "Give Bees A Chance" by Bill Freiberger. Also, Knuckles naming the Fregosi Sapphire "Herman" is a reference to Herman Munster.
- The Fregosi Sapphire is the first mineral-based power source in the Sonic Boom. It is also the first to be identified other than an emerald.
- As with most ancient gemstones in the Sonic series, (such as the Master Emerald and Chaos Emeralds) the Fregosi Sapphire is guarded by the Sonic Boom incarnation of Knuckles the Echidna.
- Knuckles' statement during the episode "Give Bees A Chance" that people have complained he's not guarding "rare stones enough" is a reference to how Knuckles usually fills this role in most Sonic media.
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: "Fregosi Sapphire" is a Munsters reference put in by (who else?) Bill Freiberger.”
- Robinson, Cindy (25 March 2017). "Give Bees A Chance". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 72. Boomerang.
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Bill Freiberger: The Fregosi Sapphire is an obscure reference to an episode of THE MUNSTERS called “The Fregosi Emerald””
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 March 2017). Retrieved on 25 March 2017. “Alan Denton: Is Knuckles naming the Sapphire "Herman" *also* a Munsters reference? I... honestly don't remember. / ... / Bill Freiberger: Yes, it was named after Herman Munster.”