- This article is about the location. For the game, see Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island.
Flicky Island (フリッキーアイランド Furikkī Airando?), also referred to as Flickies' Island, is a location in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. According to legend, the island is home to precious gems, including the Chaos Emeralds. It is also the home of special Flickies from another dimension, who travel to the island through Dimension Rings to gather food, and whose existences are closed tied to the Chaos Emeralds' location.
Sonic 3D Blast
Detecting the Chaos Emeralds on Flicky Island, Dr. Robotnik came to the island and discovered the island's unique Flickies who traveled between worlds using Dimension Rings. Seeing the possibility of gathering the Chaos Emeralds using the Flickies, Eggman established his operations on Flicky Island, setting up numerous bases around the island, as well as building the "Dimension Ring Generator" to gather Flickies and turn them into Badniks.
Hearing legends that the Chaos Emerald were located on Flicky Island, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles traveled there. Noticing the Badniks infesting the island, Sonic rushed off to rescue the Flickies and collect the Chaos Emeralds which had yet to fall into Robotnik's hands. Eventually, Sonic entered the main base and defeated Eggman in his final weapon. He then used the Dimension Ring to return to Flicky Island, along with the Flickies.
Flicky Island has a highly variable environment with jungles, ancient temples, icy mountains and volcanoes.
- Green Grove Zone, a Green-Hill-esque tropical paradise with checkered soil.
- Rusty Ruin Zone, the once-submerged remnants of an ancient culture, dredged up from the sea bed by Robotnik.
- Spring Stadium Zone, a bouncy arena filled with balloons and spikes.
- Diamond Dust Zone, the frigid slopes of Flicky Island's mountain range.
- Volcano Valley Zone, an active volcano.
- Gene Gadget Zone, Robotnik's genetic research laboratory.
- Panic Puppet Zone, a fortified factory and the center of Robotnik's base (presumably destroyed).
- The Final Fight, the steel foundations beneath Panic Puppet (presumably destroyed).
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, Flicky Island (referred to in this media as Flickies' Island) is a deserted island on Mobius where the Flickies from the planet Drak migrate to every year for a few weeks. After Robotnik was ousted from power as the dictator of Mobius, Flickies' Island served as his base until the doctor was tossed to Shanazar and his assistant Grimer was arrested.
In the Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics, Flickies' Island is featured one time as main setting in Sonic Blast special. In the story, Sonic responds to a distress call from Flickies' Island, arriving to find that Doctor Robotnik had captured the island, roboticized the Flickies, and was in the midst of a search for the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic soon found out that the robot Flickies were vulnerable to seawater, and reverted to their flesh and blood forms on contact. Sonic raced through the Zones and defeated Robotnik in the Techno Bodyshell Battlesuit, causing Robotnik to flee.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In Sega Saturn and PC versions of the game, there are anthropomorphic regular or worker moles found around the Green Grove Zone as extra detail of the Zone. Rusty Ruin Zone has also anthropomorphic mice hiding in vases.
- ↑ Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Mega Drive) United States instruction manual, p. 2.
- ↑ Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Saturn) United States instruction manual, p. 3.
- ↑ Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Saturn) Japanese instruction manual, p. 4.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Mega Drive) United States instruction manual pg. 2-3
- ↑ Sonic 3D Blast (Sega Mega Drive) United States instruction manual, p. 9.
- ↑ Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (Sega Saturn) Japanese instruction manual pg. 4-5