- For other uses of the term, see Emerald Hill (disambiguation).
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Emerald Hill Zone (エメラルドヒル Emerarudo Hiru?, lit. "Emerald Hill") is the first Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It is a tropical paradise on the shores of West Side Island. Although Emerald Hill Zone is not visited by Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends quite as often as with Green Hill Zone, the Zone remains nonetheless a frequently recurring locale within the super-speedy hedgehog's adventures. As with most other Zones in this game, Emerald Hill Zone consists of two standard Acts with a boss fight at the end of Act 2.
Plains of verdant grass and beautiful beaches draw instant comparisons with South Island's Green Hill Zone, but Emerald Hill Zone has a character all of its own (only small parts of the soil have checkered pattern, for one). The level is a grassy, green Zone with plenty of easy obstacles and secret passageways. Idyllic waterfalls cascade amidst the tropical meadows and the coconut palms of West Side Island rise amidst natural gardens of red and pink flowers. Wooden bridges and ring-filled Mobius strips are the only signs of artificial intrusion, aside from Dr. Robotnik's retracting spike beds and Badniks.
The first boss in the game is Dr. Robotnik in a drill car, which he docks the helicopter-bladed Eggman Mobile to. This is not very challenging as it is easy to dodge his attacks and jump on him. After the seventh hit, Robotnik will fire his drill like a missile; jump over the projectile to deliver the final hit.
Other game appearances
Sonic Drift 2
Emerald Hill also appears as a racecourse in Sonic Drift 2 for the Sega Game Gear. This Zone (as "Emerald Hill 1") is the very first race in the game, before Hill Top 1 in the Purple Grand Prix; the racers re-enter the region during the White Grand Prix, where "Emerald Hill 2" is the sixth and final track, coming after Mystic Cave. As with most other racetracks in the second Chaos Grand Prix, the player has to complete three laps of the track to proceed, and the fastest racer gets a Chaos Emerald.
Sonic Jam (Game.com)
In other media
Sonic the Hedgehog (manga)
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, the Emerald Hill Zone is the home of Sonic the Hedgehog and the setting of many stories. A large number of Mobians, known as the Emerald Hill Folk, live in the Emerald Hill Zone (until they temporarily relocated to the Floating Island).
In this media, the Emerald Hill Zone on South Island, along with the other "Hill Zones" like the Green Hill Zone (This is presumably to remove continuity errors in the early issues of the series, in which the Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone were used almost interchangeably).
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Emerald Hill Zone is a location that appeared on Mobius during Operation: Clean Sweep, where Dr. Eggman reshaped reality with the Genesis Wave. After the Multiverse was altered by the Super Genesis Wave, the Emerald Hill Zone became a permanent part of Sonic's World.
- In the Simon Wai prototype of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Emerald Hill Zone was referred to as "Green Hill Zone."
- In the Sonic Jam strategy guide, Yuji Naka said that Emerald Hill Zone got its name from a town called Emerald Hill just south of San Francisco. The team had noticed the name on a location test and decided to use it. The neighborhood is in fact referred to in the plural as Emerald Hills, and is part of a larger area called Emerald Lake Hills.
- It is possible to obtain all seven Chaos Emeralds in both Acts; there are three Star Posts in the first Act and five Star Posts in Act 2. While this requires time and extensive traveling of the Zone to regain Rings, it is possible to reach Dr. Robotnik the first time as Super Sonic.
- Emerald Hill is the first Zone to use corkscrew loops, which would become a staple in the Sonic franchise.
- A remix of Emerald Hill Zone's music appears as one of the songs the player can listen to in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS version).
- The music for Emerald Hill Zone is available in the Green Hill Zone stage of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog pilot, Robotnik's minions are shown chasing Sonic through what appears to be the Emerald Hill Zone.
- In Sonic Advance, there is a remix of the two-player music of Emerald Hill Zone.
- Emerald Hill Zone and Hill Top Zone both use the same assets, and as such, Emerald Hill Zone has unused lava pits.
- In SonicDOOM, one of many storylines for the canceled Sonic X-Treme game, the Castle of Light (home of the Boobowski family) is located in Emerald Hill Zone.
- A remix of the music was used in the title reveal trailer for the 2022 film Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
|Emerald Hill Zone||2:25||Masato Nakamura|
|Emerald Hill Zone (2-Player)||1:34||Masato Nakamura|
- The Sonic 2 (Mega Drive) page at The GHZ.