Emblems (エンブレム Enburemu?) are items that appear in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Heroes. They are gained after completing a stage, or completing certain requirements or missions. Emblems can also be found in the Adventure Fields in Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, such as the train station in Station Square.
Emblems resemble giant rings with wings. Sonic is usually seen in an emblem performing a pose. In Sonic Heroes, they have the speed, power and flight symbols on the ring with wings. They bear a resemblance to the title screens of early Sonic games for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis.
There are 130 emblems in Sonic Adventure, 180 in Sonic Adventure 2, and 120 in Sonic Heroes. Depending on how many you collect, emblems can trigger certain unlockable items, characters, stages, minigames and Xbox 360 Achievements/Playstation 3 Trophies, such as Metal Sonic in Sonic Adventure DX, Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2, and various 2P Battle minigames in Sonic Heroes.
In Sonic Shuffle, emblems have a different purpose in that they are handed out to players at the end of a board as prizes for certain accomplishments, with the player having the most emblems and rings being declared the winner. They are awarded for the following achievements:
- Collecting Precioustones. (One is awarded for each Precioustone collected)
- Having the most rings at the end of the board.
- Winning the Stage Clear mini-game at the end of the board.
- Fulfilling the board's quest.
- Winning the most duels. (Versus Mode only)
- In the Archie Comics, Sonic's house has windows in a similar shape of an emblem.
- In Sonic Rivals 2, the Power-Ups in the stages resemble an emblem.
- In the Tiny Chao Garden, the player's Chao will sometimes say that he found an emblem and tossed it.