The Eggmarine (サブマリンエッグマンＩＩ Sabumarin Egguman II?, lit. "Submarine Eggman II") is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a submarine created by Dr. Robotnik, who used it during the West Side Island incident.
The Eggmarine is a small, bullet-shaped submarine that is made of gray metal. It has black and yellow hazard stripes, as well as a yellow bottom and side headlights. It also has two different weapons, both of which are made up of a string of gray orbs with a yellow center in each of the orbs. On the tip of each weapon is a specific gun: one of them has a laser cannon, while the other one has a sharp, scorpion tail-like blade.
Features and abilities
The Eggmarine is capable of moving through oil like it was water. In addition, its laser cannon gun can fire blue lasers, while the scorpion tail blade can be detached from the Eggmarine and be fired as a flexible projectile.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The Eggmarine is the boss of Oil Ocean Zone Act 2 in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, its various ports and remasters, and the lock-on game Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2; and the seventh boss overall in these games. It is also the seventh boss of Boss Attack Zone in the 2013 remaster of the game. In the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the Eggmarine is fought with Sonic and/or Tails, while in Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and the 2013 remaster of the game, it can also be fought with Knuckles.
The boss encounter takes place in an area with a sinking pool on the bottom and two platforms on the side. The battle begins after the Eggmarine emerges from the oil. After a few second, the Eggmarine will quickly sink back down into the oil. Then, the player will have to avoid the following weapons:
- A mechanical scorpion tail, which is fired in an arc towards the platform the player is standing on. This weapon can be easily avoided by jumping on it or by crouching in the middle of the platform.
- A laser gun that will aim horizontally towards the direction the player is on. Unlike the scorpion tail, the laser gun will turn left or right if the player goes to the other side of the screen. This weapon will fire three shots, which can be above the playable character and can be avoided by standing still; in between, forcing the player to crouch or jump to avoid them; or onto the platform, igniting it on blue fire that must be avoided by jumping.
After this process, the Eggmarine will rise out of the oil again and repeat the pattern for the rest of the battle. The Eggmarine takes eight hits to be defeated, after which the player can open up the Capsule and finish the Zone.
|"STH2 Boss 〜Mega Drive version〜"||Masato Nakamura||2:14|
- During the boss fight, the full form of the Eggmarine cannot be viewed from the oil.
- Robotnik's sprite in the cockpit is different from its normal appearance, except for when he has been hit and defeated. He looks back and forth a couple of times before submerging again.
- If the player does not attack the Eggmarine when it slowly raises and goes back down into the oil ocean, Robotnik will not send the airborne spear, but instead skips it to the gun attachment.
- If the playable character stays underneath either of the platforms and keeps jumping to avoid sinking into the oil, they will be able to avoid both the scorpion tail and the laser gun very easily.
- Despite the logic in which a chemical reaction such as an explosion can cause the oil to ignite, the destruction and explosions of the Eggmarine does not cause this.
- The Mega Octus, the boss of Oil Ocean Zone in Sonic Mania, is based on the Eggmarine and even uses similar weapons.
- In the easy mode featured in Sonic Jam, the Star Post is moved from the top of the oil slide to somewhere closer to the boss battle arena, making it harder to miss.
- The Eggmarine is also one of three bosses in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 that is still featured in the same easy mode. It only takes three hits to defeat it.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)". Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 24. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Boss: Dr. Eggman launches mechanical scorpion tails and a tenacious laser cannon from his Eggmarine."
- (in Japanese) ソニックメガコレクション最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. 1 March 2003. p. 89. ISBN 978-4091060907.