- For other uses of the term, see Egg Viper (disambiguation).
This giant combat machine has a total height of 130 feet. Laser beams can be fired from both its head and the joints of its tail. The shields that cover both the top and sides of the cockpit have a mechanism that enables them to be moved and used in combat.
— Official description, Sonic Adventure website
The Egg Viper (エッグバイパー Eggu Baipā?) is a vehicle that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a giant, viper-based combat machine created by Dr. Eggman which was used by the Doctor to battle Sonic the Hedgehog during the Chaos incident.
In keeping with its name, the Egg Viper is designed after a large flying viper. It has two large red and gray spiked wheels on both side of the cockpit which the Egg Mobile can fit inside. The cockpit itself is covered in thick red and gray armor and has two fins on the bottom, yellow and black hazard stribes horizontally along the middle, a single fin on top with a red and gray tube on each side, and a large gray laser cannon down the front which can slide back to reveal the pilot. On the cockpit's rear are three large red and gray flap-like shields. Beneath these shields are a long red and gray segmented tail which has spikes and green spots running down it.
Features and abilities
The Egg Viper's head and joints on its tail are equipped with a multitude of laser cannons which can fire intense laser beams, the most powerful which can cause small explosions. The shields that cover both the top and sides of the cockpit also have a mechanism that enables them to be moved and used in combat. When moved into position, these shield can charge up concentrated bursts of energy and launch them at opponents (although such a maneuver leaves the Egg Viper without defenses). The Egg Viper can also detach its spiked wheels and thrust them through midair like spinning sawblades, which will then return to the Egg Viper like boomerangs.
Weapons aside, the Egg Viper is capable of flight through midair. It is also quite powerful and durable, being able to plow through several metal platforms without slowing down or taking damage.
- Height: 130 ft.
After braving the Final Egg, Sonic made it to the center of the base where Dr. Eggman was waiting in the Egg Viper for their showdown. As the Egg Viper flew away, Sonic followed it to the battle arena inside the Final Egg's main tower using a Rocket. There, Sonic and Eggman engaged in an intense battle which ended when Sonic dealt the Egg Viper a critical blow that caused it to start blowing up. In a last-ditch attempt to claim victory however, Eggman tried steering the failing Egg Viper into Sonic, but failed. After the Egg Viper exploded, Sonic and Eggman escaped the Final Egg.
Other game appearances
The Egg Viper is the fifth and final boss of Sonic's storyline in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. It is fought with Sonic the Hedgehog directly after clearing Final Egg. The boss battle takes place across two platforms above a bottomless pit in front of the Egg Viper. Each side of the platforms have a small set of Rings to be collected.
Over the course of the battle, the Egg Viper uses different types of attacks according to its life gauge:
- The first attack pattern is firing four or five laser beams from its tail in a row. To avoid this attack, Sonic must keep moving in different directions to avoid being hit. Eggman then simply reveals himself, allowing the player land the Spin Jump on him.
- The Egg Viper starts to charge and shoot an energy ball as its second attack. During the charging process, the cockpit exposes itself on the machine, giving Sonic a chance for attacking him. To damage him, Sonic can Homing Attack into the nodes on the Egg Viper's tail which leads up to the cockpit.
- The third attack pattern is shooting a powerful laser with the machine's laser cannon. First, the Egg Viper takes an aim at Sonic before firing. After a short time of moving, the cannon is fired and a quick reaction helps Sonic avoid it.
- When the life gauge reaches half, the Egg Viper flies over the platform where Sonic is standing and shoots laser beams at Sonic's position as Eggman's gloats at him.
- The common attack pattern during the last half of the machine's life gauge is launching its razor discs. This can be used to damage the Egg Mobile too. To avoid this, Sonic must get as far away as he can or just jump when the disc comes close. Once the disc stops, he can jump on it to reach the Egg Viper's top and attack it with the Homing Attack or the Light Speed Attack.
- After destroying the platforms on the other side, the Egg Viper destroys a platform where Sonic is standing and shoots its razor discs again. This pattern is used until the life gauge reaches zero. If Sonic keeps missing his chances to hit Eggman in this phase, he eventually runs out of platforms and falls to his death.
After Sonic has completely depleted the Egg Viper's life gauge, the machine will convulse uncontrollably and will attempt a suicidal attack, in which the Egg Viper will ram into the platform Sonic is standing on. A quick Spin Dash or Homing Attack is required. If it succeeds, it kills Sonic alongside the machine and they both fall in the bottomless pit; this can be problematic if Eggman has destroyed many platforms during his attack due to Sonic missing his chances to attack Eggman. If only one platform remains by the time Eggman attempts the suicide assault, Sonic's doom is certain. But once safely evaded, Sonic's story will be cleared.
|Militant Missionary ...Boss: Egg Walker & Egg Viper||Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi||1:17|
In other media
In the Sonic X anime, the Egg Viper was used by Dr. Eggman as his secret weapon against Sonic after many of his previous plans were ruined by him. Despite this, the vehicle's role and functionality were pretty much the same. After a close-knit battle, Sonic destroyed the Egg Viper.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Egg Viper was one of the elements introduced to Mobius Prime after the second Genesis Wave rewrote reality. During Worlds Collide, Sonic mentioned the Egg Viper when he and Mega Man are talking about snake-based enemies.
In the altered reality created due to the improperly-reversed Super Genesis Wave, the Egg Viper was also included. Its background is the same as its game counterpart.
- Like Egg Hornet and Egg Walker, the Egg Viper is code named "EG3". This code name is displayed around the vehicle's gray and orange metallic parts.
- The Egg Viper is similar to the Egg Wyvern. Both bosses are the same color, both are suspended above low ground, both battles have a part where the player attack Dr. Eggman head on, and both bosses destroy platforms and decrease the amount of space they have to run on.
- The Egg Viper has been the start point of the trend where final bosses are seen having the last sudden attack. Certain cases include Egg King's final strike in Sonic Rush, Ghost Titan's final laser attack in Sonic Rush Adventure, the Death Egg Robot's final attack in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I and Time Eater's giant flaming fireball in Sonic Generations.
- This boss, as well as the Egg Walker boss, is infamous for Eggman's line: "Get a load of this!"
- The Egg Viper has the most health out of every boss in Sonic Adventure, even having more health than the final boss, Perfect Chaos.