The Egg Serpentleaf is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a heavily modified Egg Mobile resembling a mix between a snake and a flower, which was used by Dr. Eggman during the Death Egg mk.II incident.
The Egg Serpentleaf is a large green mech resembling a mix between a snake, and a flowered plant. It sports a large base connected to the ground by four tubes, and a flexible "neck" with yellow lights which connects it to the head. The head of the mech attached to a modified Egg Mobile with a cannon, and features five purple "petals" with spikes on their exterior. When closed around the cockpit, the petals resemble the face of a snake, with glowing green eyes. The mech also features four green tentacles with yellow lights, gray armor, hazard stripes on their tips, and extendible yellow spikes.
Features and traits
In addition to the physical strength of its tentacles, the Egg Serpentleaf can use them to transport a powerful liquid from its base into its body, allowing for the usage of a deadly laser cannon in its head. The five "petals" surrounding the cockpit of the Egg Serpentleaf also serve as a shield when closed, protecting the pilot from harm.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
In Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II, Sonic and Tails encountered Dr. Eggman in his Egg Mobile during their journey through Sylvania Castle Zone. Noticing the duo, the doctor retreated to the Egg Serpentleaf, which had been stationed there prior, and attached his Eggmobile to its head. Eggman then activated the Egg Serpentleaf, and attempted to destroy Sonic and Tails with it, although the duo managed to turn the tables and destroy the robot, prompting Eggman to flee while Sonic and Tails continued onwards.
Before the boss battle starts, Sonic and Tails find Dr. Eggman riding in his Egg Mobile, but he instantly flees. When they catch up to him again, Eggman plays a little trick on the heroes before revealing large totem poles, which later get suddenly destroyed by Egg Serpentleaf's mechanical tentacles.
When the battle first begins, the tentacles will occasionally swing across the ground to try to hurt Sonic and Tails. When the Egg Serpentleaf takes four (console) or three (mobile) hits, it will raise up two more tentacles, and Dr. Eggman will start shielding himself with the flower petals more. Otherwise, it is the same as earlier.
Finally, when he takes three (console) or two (mobile) more hits, Dr. Eggman will shield himself with the flower, but this time, the tentacles wrap around the stem, inserting some type of liquid into it, and the bottom of the Egg Mobile will reveal a cannon. If Dr. Eggman is left undamaged for a long enough time, the weapon from the bottom of the Egg Mobile with shoot out fire that will cover the entire ground. However, with two (console) or one (mobile) more hits, the Egg Serpentleaf is defeated, and Sonic and Tails can advance to the Capsule, ending the Boss Act upon opening it.
- The Egg Serpentleaf appears to be inspired by Biollante's Flower Beast Form from Godzilla vs. Biollante, being a gigantic flower with mouthed snake-like tentacles that it uses in combat.
- There is a reference to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 within this boss fight, as before the battle starts, Dr. Eggman raises the stone pillars from his boss battle in Aquatic Ruin Zone, tricking the player into thinking they would fight a repeat of said boss battle, only for the Egg Serpentleaf to reveal itself and destroy the pillars.
- This also references the fact that in the previous episode, it mostly featured reused bosses at the end of each Zone.
- The music that plays for this battle is the same as the background music as boss pinch mode and E.G.G. Station Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I.
- Sonic 4 Episode 2 Hedgehog Day Reveal: Egg Serpentleaf. SEGAbits (2 February 2012). Archived from the original on 26 July 2012. Retrieved on 15 February 2022.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II Concept Art -- Egg Serpentleaf. Retrieved on 15 February 2022.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 229. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Bosses: Egg Serpentleaf. A towering serpentine flower mecha with lashing robotic tentacles."