The Egg Scorcher Mark II, also known as the Submarine Eggman (サブマリンエッグマン Sabumarin Egguman?) is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a modification of Eggman's Mobile created by Dr. Robotnik, who used it during the West Side Island incident.
The Egg Scorcher Mk. II consists of Eggman's Mobile with a silver armor casing that gives it a vague, pear-like shape. Also, on its top, it has a flamethrower.
Features and abilities
Notably, the Egg Scorcher Mk. II has shown resistance to high temperatures, as it can dive into lava without suffering damage. It is capable of hovering as well. Its flamethrower can be used to attack its targets, although it has a short range.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The Egg Scorcher Mk. II is the boss of Hill Top Zone Act 2 in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, its various ports and remasters, and the lock-on game Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2; and the fifth boss overall in these games. It is also the fifth boss of Boss Attack Zone in the 2013 remaster of the game. In the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the Egg Scorcher Mk. II is fought with Sonic and/or Tails, while in Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and the 2013 remaster of the game, it can also be fought with Knuckles.
The boss battle takes place on three small pieces of land with lava in between each of them. Dr. Robotnik begins the battle by rising up from the lava lake on the right side. It will then shoot fire from its flamethrower once. After this, the Egg Scorcher Mk. II submerges back into the lava. During this, two fireballs come out of the lava and onto the land, temporarily setting the land on fire. After a few seconds, the the Egg Scorcher Mk. II will appear in either the left side of the arena or the right, depending on the player's position on the other side. This pattern will be repeated throughout the boss fight.
- The Egg Scorcher Mk. II can actually be defeated very easily by jumping right up to it at the start of the battle and bouncing off it repeatedly while against the right edge of the screen. This can be hard though, as the vehicle can dive into the lava before it gets destroyed.
- Defeating the Egg Scorcher Mk. II this way in the 2013 remaster of the game will give the player the "Bop Non-stop" achievement.
- Strangely, this boss does not appear in its zone in the 2013 iOS remaster version 3.0.0, having been replaced by a Goal Plate. It appears in its Android counterpart normally and it has been addressed in version 3.0.1. The boss did, however, appear in Boss Attack Zone.
|"STH2 Boss 〜Mega Drive version〜"||Masato Nakamura||2:14|
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Boss: The Egg Scorcher Mk II uses the magma for cover while trying to torch our heroes."
- Sonic Team (23 June 2022). Sonic Origins. Sega. Area/Level: Boss Rush (Sonic the Hedgehog 2). "Boss Rush 5/10 - vs. Egg Scorcher Mk. II"
- (in Japanese) ソニックメガコレクション最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. 1 March 2003. p. 81. ISBN 978-4091060907.