The Egg Pawn (Casino version) is an enemy that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a mass-produced Pawn Series Badnik model created by Dr. Eggman, which is designed for operations in the casino business.
The Casino version Egg Pawns are humanoid robots based on Dr. Eggman. The typical Casino version Egg Pawn has a round body and a dome-shaped head that come together in an egg-like shape. It also has blank eyes, a sharp nose, a wide glowing panel for a mouth, and a black lower torso section. Each of these Casino version Egg Pawns also has gray cable-like limbs with four-fingered hands, cuffs around their wrists and ankles, and short shoulder guards. The Casino version Egg Pawns further come in three distinctly designed models:
- The Egg Pawn (bunny) (エッグポーン (バニー) Eggupōn (banī)?): A pink-colored Casino version Egg Pawn model which has gray headlights on the chest, yellow eyes, a red nose, red shoulder guards and soles, gray arms, legs and fingers, and yellow wrist and ankle cuffs. This model also has a yellow heart symbol on its chest, a red bunny tail and standing bunny ears on top of its head.
- The Egg Pawn (manager) (エッグポーン(マネージャー) Eggupōn (manējā)?): A dark purple-colored Casino version Egg Pawn model which has yellow eyes, a red nose, red shoulder guards and soles, gray arms, legs and fingers, and turquoise wrist and ankle cuffs. This model also has a red bow tie on its chest.
- The Egg Pawn (clown) (エッグポーン(クラウン) Eggupōn (kuraun)?): A green-colored Casino version Egg Pawn model which has orange eyes, a yellow nose, yellow shoulder guards and soles, gray arms, legs and fingers, and dark yellow wrist and ankle cuffs. This model also has a curved panel with yellow, red, green and blue tangents on it on top of its head and a blue diamond on its chest.
In gameplay, the Casino version Egg Pawns can come equipped with a variety of weaponry. These weapons affect their attack patterns and give them a wider attack range. These include:
- Egg Spears: Casino version Egg Pawns armed with long lances. If they detect the playable characters, they will start charging at them. The Egg Spears allow them to increase their range of attack.
- Egg Bazookas: Casino version Egg Pawns armed with heavy laser-firing bazookas. These enemies need some time to load their Egg Bazooka, after which they will fire a laser that will quickly fly towards the playable characters.
- Egg Guns: Casino version Egg Pawns armed with high-speed machine guns. These enemies shoot long series of bullets at the playable characters.
Casino version Egg Pawns that are not carrying any weapons fight with their fists. If they detect the playable characters, they will start charging at them. Some Egg Pawns also wield shields along with their weapons. Those Egg Pawns that wield shields can use them to negate the damage they would otherwise receive. While these shields can be destroyed with enough attacks, the player can also use the Tornado Jump or a Homing Attack with three Power Cores to blow them away. These Egg Pawns can wield two types of shields:
- Smooth shields: Smooth, rectangular shields. These allow the Casino version Egg Pawn to block one blow from a Power Type character before they break.
- Metal shields: Metallic shields that can block approximately six blows from a Power Type character. The more blows they receive, the more cracks they will display until they are destroyed altogether.
Occasionally, the Casino version Egg Pawns will simply stand still and not attack despite noticing the player. Each type of Casino Egg Pawn has very little health and awards 200 points when destroyed.
Sonic Rivals 2
In Sonic Rivals 2, all three Casino version Egg Pawn variants make an appearance as one the collectible cards in the game, and serve no purpose in the story. These cards depict the Egg Pawns as they appeared in Sonic Heroes. To collect each card, the player has to fulfill the following conditions:
- Egg Pawn (manager): Win the Shadow Cup in Single Player or unlock Shadow's 80's Outfit.
- Egg Pawn (bunny): Win the Shadow Cup in multiplayer or unlock Shadow's Flame Outfit.
- Egg Pawn (clown): Win the Metal Cup in Single Player or unlock Metal Sonic's Circuit Outfit.
Powers and abilities
Compared to most machines Dr. Eggman has produced, the Casino version Egg Pawns are weak robots. They also possess no special abilities, relying more on their weaponry and tools.
Weapons and equipment
The Casino version Egg Pawns' standard arsenal include lances named Egg Spears, single-shot recoilless rifles named Egg Bazookas, and automatic blasters named Egg Guns. They also occasionally carry shields of varying durability.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Casino version Egg Pawns are Badniks created by Dr. Eggman. Over time though, several outdated models of these Egg Pawns have been sold to Breezie the Hedgehog, who has them work as her staff at Breeze Media.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Collectible card nr. 91.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Collectible card nr. 92.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Collectible card nr. 93.
- Sonic Comic, "Act:005 The Creator's Presentation of Masterpieces"
- "Chapter 1" (in Japanese). ソニックヒーローズ最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. February 2004. p. 32. ISBN 978-4091061522.