The Egg Golem (エッグゴーレム Eggugōremu?) is a vehicle that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a tall mech utilizing ancient technology that was used by Dr. Robotnik and an Eggrobo to attack Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies during the second part of the Angel Island incident.
The Egg Golem is a tall, stone sphinx constructed around an Egg Mobile within the torso. It is about seven times the height of Sonic the Hedgehog. It is also clad in stone armor and has spikes on the front of its feet, as well as on its torso. At the top, there is also a green gem resembling an eye, which acts as an energy weapon.
Features and abilities
The mech is equipped with spikes on its center and the backside of its body, as well on its large arm attachments. The green gem on its head part can also fire small white laser beams.
The Egg Golem is relatively slow when moving forward. Also, the upper shell of the mech can fall off backwards from a simple assault to its head attachment, making its weak spot underneath vulnerable.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
In Sonic & Knuckles and the lock-on game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, the Egg Golem was a mech made with an ancient technology that was pirated by Dr. Robotnik when Sonic and Tails entered a large chamber while traveling deep underneath the pyramid of Sandopolis Zone. With the Egg Golem, Robotnik attempted to drive the two heroes into a corner to crush them. Shortly after discovering the mech's weak spot however, Sonic and Tails were able to take down the Egg Golem, with Robotnik using his Egg Mobile to escape from the chamber.
Much later, an Eggrobo used the Egg Golem in an attempt to get rid of Knuckles the Echidna in Sandopolis Zone. Despite its efforts though, the Egg Golem was once again destroyed, although the Eggrobo got away, leaving Knuckles to follow it.
The Egg Golem is the boss of Sandopolis Zone Act 2 in Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, the seventh boss in Sonic & Knuckles and the twentieth boss in Sonic and Tails' stories or the nineteenth boss in Knuckles' story in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. In Sonic & Knuckles, it is fought by Sonic or Knuckles and in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, it can also be fought by Tails either on his own or as Sonic's partner.
The player drops down to the wide chamber with Hyudoros disappearing permanently, while the Egg Golem is seen standing still on the right side of the chamber. By moving closer to it, Dr. Robotnik/EggRobo begin piloting the Egg Golem slowly towards the player. The Egg Mobile is hidden away beneath a layers of stone tiles. It constantly moves forward to the left and at regular intervals, it will charge up to fire a white laser from the front of its head at a 45 degree angle downwards towards where the player will likely be standing.
The player must hit the Egg Golem's head which will interrupt its attack pattern. This causes the stone tiles protecting Robotnik/EggRobo to recede, providing a window of about two seconds to hit the now-revealed Egg Mobile before the tiles cover it up again. Eight hits on the Egg Mobile are required to defeat the Egg Golem. The Egg Golem's left arm in the foreground acts as a stepping stone that the player can use to jump on then jump from it to hit its head (which is especially useful for Knuckles, who has a lower jump height than Sonic and Tails), but the player must be mindful of the spikes that cover most of the Egg Golem.
The Egg Golem must be destroyed in a certain amount of time as eventually Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles will be crushed between it and the wall at the other end of the arena. As usual, this battle is harder for Knuckles, in that the Egg Golem's forward movement is faster compared to Sonic and/or Tails' versions of the fight, giving the player less time to defeat it. If it gets close enough to the wall though, Knuckles can climb the wall and glide into the Egg Golem's head.
- The Egg Golem has an invisible wall behind it during the battle, so the player is unable to leap over it. However, it is possible to make Tails and Knuckles stand on top of the mech by using Propeller Flying or gain small amount of boost while gliding. This is likely due to the mech's upper part does not have hazard detection that can damage the playable character upon contact. Despite this, the playable character will eventually get crushed.
- If the Egg Golem reaches the wall and it does not crush the player, it will backpedal across the room at a rapid pace before moving forward again and repeating the attack pattern. This is impossible to see without using Debug Mode, or having Tails fly over the boss, as the playable character will normally be crushed before the Egg Golem even makes contact with the wall.
- Unlike other Act 2 bosses in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, the Egg Mobile does not continue burning after Robotnik or the Eggrobo is defeated and flees.
|"Boss 2"||Sega||Sonic & Knuckles/Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles||1:14|
|Sonic & Knuckles Collection||"FM Synthesizer"||1:09|
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 55. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Bosses: Act 2 - Egg Golem. Dr. Eggman pirates ancient technology and tries to drive you into a corner. Knock away the armor and strike quickly."
- (in Japanese) ソニックメガコレクション最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. 1 March 2003. p. 169. ISBN 978-4091060907.