- For the boss in the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations, see Egg Emperor (Sonic Generations). For the giant robot in Sonic X, see E-99 Eggsterminator.
The Egg Emperor (エッグエンペラー Eggu Enperā?) is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a mass-produced robotic mech created by Dr. Eggman. It was most famously used by Neo Metal Sonic to combat Teams Sonic, Rose, Dark and Chaotix when they invaded the Eggman Fleet.
The Egg Emperor is a large and humanoid old gold-colored robot with a round torso. Its upper torso and back possess thick armor while its undercarriage is smaller and dark green. A white rim separates the Egg Emperor's upper and lower torso. It also has red and old gold bolts covering its underbelly, a dark green neck collar, and a round blue and purple window into its cockpit in the center of its torso. Its right shoulder is round with red and white spikes, and its right arm consists of a long old gold lance with a gray tip. Its left shoulder is more cup-shaped and its left arm has a gray hand with a dark green back. Strapped to its left forearm is a tall red shield with a circular gray and red center, a gray outline, and old gold edges. Its legs are also gray and thin while its ankles have old gold armor with red lower edges around them. Its feet are dark green with old gold (and later gray) soles, and its kneecaps have spikes. Its head also has sharp teeth and red spikes for a mustache. Lastly, it has dark green eyes, a fin on its forehead, and long rocket flaps on its back.
Features and abilities
The Egg Emperor is one of Dr. Eggman's stronger mechs. In addition to being capable of flight, the Egg Emperor is equipped with a deadly lance for offense and a large shield for defense, which can withstand massive cannon fire without taking damage. It can also launch destructive energy waves by swinging its lance, and deploy missiles. It is also capable of high-speed flight, being able to dash incredible distances in a short time and almost keep up with even Sonic's running speed.
In Sonic Heroes, Neo Metal Sonic (while disguised as Dr. Eggman) used an Egg Emperor mech for each of his separate confrontations with Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark and Team Chaotix onboard the Egg Fleet. In each encounter with the teams, however, the Egg Emperor got taken down by the heroes and blew up.
In the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations, the Egg Emperor was used by Dr. Eggman for a rematch with Sonic when the hedgehog entered the time frame of the Neo Metal Sonic incident. Despite taking Sonic by surprise with the Egg Emperor, the robotic mech was still destroyed by Sonic's hands.
Other game appearances
Shadow the Hedgehog
In Sonic Rivals, the Egg Emperor appears on the 128th collectible card in the game.
The Egg Emperor is the final boss of Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark and Team Chaotix's storylines in Sonic Heroes. Each team fights the Egg Emperor immediately after clearing their version of Final Fortress.
The stage where the battle takes place on consists of a series of two long platforms and a large circular platform, each separated by a huge gap which can be crossed via Jump Panels or Formation-specific gimmicks.
Primarily, the player must keep up with the Egg Emperor, who will move forward along the stage, attacking the player along the way. Various enemies will also spawn on the platforms (depending on which team is used). The weak spot of the Egg Emperor is the glowing hole on its chest. If the weak spot is attacked, it will put up its shield for defense, although it can be destroyed with enough attacks. It is important to not get too close to the Egg Emperor (especially if the player is launched into the air) as they may touch the Egg Emperor in mid-flight, take damage and most likely fall into the bottomless pit below. The Egg Emperor uses three different attacks:
- It slices its lance through the air, creating arc-shaped waves of energy in different orientations which can damage the player.
- It launches several homing rockets at the player. These can be destroyed by the player.
- It charges at the player if they are too far away from the Egg Emperor. Though its charge is unstoppable, the player can avoid taking damage by performing Fire Combination in Power Formation or a Rocket Accel in Speed Formation with perfect timing.
In front of the player's starting position on the first platform are three Power Cores to collect. After the first platform, the player may switch to the Fly character to fly up to a Dash Ring to receive a yellow Power Core (alternatively, it can also be acquired if the player is in Power Formation and approaches the Jump Panel from as close to the center). At the end of the second platform, there is a Power Gong between two Jump Panels which may be used to receive a red Power Core.
Once on the large circular platform, the Egg Emperor will stay in the center and attack the player from there, although this leaves it vulnerable to the player's attacks. Here, spawning enemies and Egg Fleet cannons will also be present to distract the player.
After a while, the Egg Emperor will fly towards the next stretch of pathway. From there, the player can use the Pole to receive a blue Power Core. From then on, the level layout loops back to the beginning. These steps can be repeated until the fight is over.
|BOSS : EGG EMPEROR||Jun Senoue||1:28|
In other media
- Within the game files of Sonic Heroes, the Egg Emperor is oxymoronically known as the "King Pawn".
- In the into to Team Chaotix's version of the fight, Vector says "Hehehe. Looks like we're in a jam, boys!". *However, the subtitles read "Hehehe. Looks like we're in jam, boys!".
- Charmy is the only character to have a line after "Eggman" says "Time to meet your maker!".
- In Sonic X, the Egg Fort II's transformation the Egg Emperor is called the "Eggsterminator" in the 4Kids dub. The reason the name was changed was likely to avoid confusion with the Egg Emperor of Sonic Heroes.
- Hitting the weak spot on Egg Emperor with Thunder Shoot without stopping is the best way to get an A rank because it will temporarily paralyze and deal damage to the mecha.
- In the cutscene before the player battles the Egg Emperor, Eggman says everyone's name in formation order (Speed, Flight, then Power).
- This is the boss of the Modern Era in the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, which is considered odd since in the console version of Sonic Generations, Sonic Heroes is categorized as a Dreamcast Era game.