The Egg Dragoon is the final part of the third boss in Sonic Forces. It is fought in Green Hill's "VS. Eggman" stage, which is the eleventh stage in Sonic Forces, and the third stage in the game to be played as Classic Sonic. It follows directly after the Eggman boss fight in the same stage.
The battle takes place in the same place as the Eggman boss fight. During the battle, the Egg Dragoon remains in the background at all times out of Classic Sonic's reach, and will launch a barrage of attacks at Classic Sonic while flying from side to side, such as several drills in succession or a stream of bullets from its cannon.
After launching its attacks, the Egg Dragoon will fly further into the background and start digging into the ground, launching several rocks and terrain debris at Classic Sonic. The black rocks can be attacked with a simple Spin Jump, Spin Dash or Drop Dash to knock back at the Egg Dragoon, dealing damage. Brown terrain debris on the other hand gets destroyed when the player attacks them. It takes a total of eight black rocks to take down the Egg Dragoon and win the fight, at which point Eggman will be seen disengaging the Egg Mobile from the destroyed Egg Dragoon and flying off while the Egg Dragoon explodes spectacularly.
- This boss fight differs greatly from the previous Egg Dragoon boss fights:
- This is the first time that the Egg Dragoon is not the penultimate boss of the game.
- This is the first time that the Egg Dragoon is not fought in Eggmanland.
- This is the first Egg Dragoon boss fight to feature a different piece of background music.
- This is the first time that the Egg Dragoon does not use any Ice-related attacks during the fight.
- Unlike the prior times, the Egg Dragoon cannot actually be directly harmed by [Classic] Sonic, instead requiring that he reflect the boulders back at the Egg Dragoon.
- This boss fight shares similarities with the Death Egg Robot boss fight in Sonic Mania as they are usually the last bosses in their game appearances but are now fought by Classic Sonic in Green Hill.
- According to Dr. Eggman at the start of the fight, the Egg Dragoon is only 10% weaker than its last incarnation, though Tails states that he is bluffing.
- When he says this also depended on how the player managed to beat the prior form: If the player beat the prior form while Eggman was still talking to Tails, the player has to only land the first hit on Egg Dragoon for him to make this claim. If the player beats the prior form after Eggman has finished talking with Tails, he will make this claim at the start of the fight.
|"Battle with Egg Dragoon Mk. II"||Naofumi Hataya||3:22|
- Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: Green Hill: VS Eggman: "Eggman: You've got a lot of nerve for a pint-size Sonic from another dimension! Still this Egg Dragoon has only lost 10% of it's combat strength./Tails: You're lying./Eggman: You won't have to wait long to find out."