The Eclipse Cannon (エクリプスキャノン Ekuripusu Kyanon?) is an object that appears in the anime series Sonic X. It is a weapon of mass of destruction on the Space Colony ARK that was created by Gerald Robotnik, able to destroy planets by using the power of the Chaos Emeralds.
Features and abilities
The Eclipse Cannon is described as the ultimate weapon. With the seven Chaos Emeralds powering it, this device can fire beams capable of destroying entire planets; even with only six Emeralds, the Eclipse Cannon could blow up half of the moon. While its outside is impenetrable, its interior is highly vulnerable.
Fifty years ago, the Eclipse Cannon was built on the Space Colony ARK by the world's foremost scientist, Gerald Robotnik, by a request from the government to protect humanity. However, Gerald suspected sinister parties planned to seize the Eclipse Cannon. When the ARK was shut down by GUN, the Eclipse Cannon was abandoned. However, Gerald made a program that would make the ARK crash into Earth once all seven Chaos Emeralds were inserted into the Eclipse Cannon, as his revenge for the death of Maria.
Fifty years later, Dr. Eggman was lured by Shadow the Hedgehog, who unknowingly acted on Gerald's plans, to use the Eclipse Cannon to hold the Earth hostage and force the planet to surrender to the rule of the Eggman Empire. Gathering six Chaos Emeralds for it, Eggman demonstrated the Eclipse Cannon to the world by using it to blow up half of the moon, before demanding total world domination within twenty-four hours, or he would fire the Eclipse Cannon on Earth. Sonic and his friends subsequently arrived on the ARK to destroy the Eclipse Cannon by inserting a fake Chaos Emerald in it. However, the planned failed and Eggman got the final Chaos Emerald from Tails. Before the Eclipse Cannon could be fired however, Sonic and Shadow had a battle within the cannon that disabled it. When Eggman then tried to fired it, he triggered Gerald's doomsday program.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Masaki, Hiro (20 November 2004). "Shadow World". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 36.
- ↑ Masaki, Hiro (16 November 2003). "Project: Shadow (Japanese version)". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 33.
- ↑ Yoshimura, Kiyoko (4 December 2004). "Showdown in Space". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 38.
- ↑ Shiraishi, Masahiko (6 November 2004). "Shadow Knows". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 34.
- ↑ Yoshimura, Kiyoko (27 November 2004). "Robotnik's Revenge". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 37.
- ↑ Shiraishi, Masahiko (12 March 2005). "The Beginning of the End". Sonic X. Season 2. Episode 49.