The Echidna Empire was a powerful nation whose members were the first rules of the ancient Mobius some 8000 years ago. Establishing a technologically advanced civilization based in Megopolis City, the Echidna Empire was known to hunt the Kohenyu for food. However, they would cause the Kohenyus' extinction due to improper hunting tactics.
When the Drakon Empire arrived on Mobius, they took over the echidnas' sacred Emerald Mines to find Emeralds to contain an artificial energy source called chaos energy. Using the echidnas' sacred emeralds, the Chaos Emeralds were created. To keep the Drakons from siphoning the chaos energy into thousands of Emeralds to conquer the galaxy, Pochacamac, leader of the Echidna Empire, led his men against the Drakon and recaptured the Chaos Emeralds, sparking a conflict with the Drakons.
Two days after stealing the Chaos Emeralds, Pochacmac and Tikal transported Sonic the Hedgehog, a sworn enemy of the Drakon in the future, to their time to help them fight the Drakons. As they brought Sonic up to speed though, Megopolis City was attacked by the Drakons. Meanwhile, Pochacamac tried to negotiate a peaceful resolution with a Drakon prisoner. While the echidnas and Drakons fought inside the city, an accident caused the echidnas' Drakon prisoner to be dowsed in the Chaos Emeralds' energies, turning him into Chaos. Chaos nearly killed Sonic, but Pochacamac was able to send Sonic back to his time while weakening Chaos enough for Knuckles the Echidna to take care of it. Though the echidnas ultimately drove the Drakons out of Megaopolis City, Pochacamac knew the Echidna Empire had started a war that would determine the fate of the echidnas.
After the Great War, the Drakons left Mobius without the Chaos Emeralds, but the echidnas had all disappeared and nobody knows what happened to them, leaving the Echidna Empire abandoned. Most of what remained of the Echidna Empire would be the Floating Island - with the echidna capital of Megopolis City, a few Zones such as Sandopolis Zone, the ancient portals to the Special Zone and the Emerald Chamber, where the Chaos Emeralds reside. The empire's main relics are the Chaos Emeralds, the ancient Guardian Robots, and the ancient computer systems that control the Floating Island.
So far, only two known members of the Echidna Empire remain on Mobius in modern times. One of them is Knuckles the Echidna, one of the ancient echidnas who through means unknown lives in the present as the Guardian of the Chaos Emeralds and has no memory of his past or his lost people, and now awaits his race's return. The other is Dr. Zachary, an evil misanthrope who wants to destroy Mobius.
Nigel Kitching's original plan was to reveal that the outcome of the war was that the Drakons were driven back by the Echidna Empire, but the only surviving echidnas were Drakon slaves scattered across the Empire (and that Zachary was one of these echidnas).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Sonic the Comic #180, "Prisoner of War!"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Comic #180, "Data Zone"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #70, "The Graveyard, Part 2"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Comic #182, "War of the Worlds!"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Comic #181, "The Origin of Chaos!"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Sonic the Comic #65, "The Homecoming, Part 1"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Sonic the Comic #66, "The Homecoming, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #47, "Mystery of the Sandopolis Zone, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #59, "The Revenge of Trogg, Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Summer Special (1994), "Guardian of the Chaos Emeralds"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #36, "Power of the Chaos Emeralds, Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #67, "The Homecoming, Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Comic #68, "The Homecoming, Part 4"