Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Sonic the Hedgehog may have saved Princess Elise from Dr. Eggman’s clutches by defeating Egg Cerberus, but now he must carry her through the treacherous Dusty Desert. A glacial progression of sand dunes slowly swallows the ancient ruins where Sonic starts, leaving the hedgehog precious little safe footing. Getting caught out in the sand is an invitation for disaster Sonic can’t run over the dunes if he can’t get solid footing. Fortunately, he and Princess Elise can combine their strengths, defy the pull of the sand for a few moments, and buy enough breathing room to get through the ruins and put some distance between them and Dr. Eggman.
As Sonic, the player escorts Princess Elise through the desert away from Eggman's robots. This is the second stage in Sonic's story and the first stage where you have to run through while carrying Princess Elise. Sonic is able to do his Homing Attack on all the robots regularly despite holding Elise. He's also able to run across the quicksand while carrying Elise and uses her unknown power to create a shield that keeps them from sinking. The level is a relatively short one, compared to Sonic's other stages in the game.
Shadow the Hedgehog and Omega approach the end of their mission by heading out to the arid wastelands of the Dusty Desert. The pair must inﬁltrate some ancient ruins buried deep beneath the sand, pressing hard against Iblis’s rampaging minions. The beasts born of ﬁre put up a major defense against the hedgehog and his robot companion. The labyrinthine ruins offer the monsters ample hiding spots, but with Shadow’s mastery over his chaos powers and Omega’s powerful laser cannon, Iblis has reason to be worried that the future could be rewritten by the one hedgehog who has no reason to help humanity.
As Shadow, the player starts off riding a G.U.N. Hovercraft and must locate the Chaos Emerald and find your way to the ancient ruins where Mephiles the Dark is dead set on finishing him off once and for all. On the hover vehicle, the player must pass through sets of pillars that rise out of the sand each time they go through the set of pillars before it. The player must do this every time, as otherwise, the door to the temple ruins will not open. Once they're in the temple, the player must avoid obstacles at high speeds and destroy Iblis and Mephiles enemies as they try to stop Shadow. Once they reach a new room, they then play as E-123 Omega to locate a switch to proceed. Eventually, the player will reach the center and the goal ring where they will have a final battle with Mephiles the Dark.
E-123 Omega isn't playable until Shadow reaches the inside of the temple. He runs through large platforming sections and fires his blasters at the robots when needed. His objective has him attempting to reach and activate switches in order for the player to continue on as Shadow the Hedgehog.
The desert knows how to keep secrets, such as a buried temple swallowed beneath the sand. Silver enters the ruins in his continuing quest to hunt the Iblis Trigger, but while exploring the temple complex, he meets an unlikely ally: Amy Rose. The girl, smitten with Silver’s sworn enemy (Sonic), helps the psychic hedgehog get through a few tight spots that require the use of a Double Jump and a smashing Hammer. However, some of the temple’s most puzzling chambers require a little PK to ﬁgure out, so it’s back to Silver when it’s time to navigate this ancient tomb’s brain-teasing rooms.
As Silver, the player starts off in the ancient ruins searching for Sonic. Silver uses his psychokinesis to capture stunned robots and throw them at enemies. At a later point, the player takes control of Amy Rose to locate a switch to proceed. At the end of the stage, the player uses Silver again and must complete a large stone ball puzzle in an attempt to get the balls in their intended holes. This is necessary for the doors of the temple to open up and take the player where they need to go. Silver later returns to the desert (this time in the exterior regions) when looking for the white Chaos Emerald in the End of the World. The level is filled with Egg Stingers, Egg Guardians, Egg Bombers, Egg Searchers, Egg Armors, Egg Sweepers, and Egg Gunners.
Amy has the ability to turn invisible and whack the robots she comes across with her hammer. She has no jump attack, so her attacks are limited to what she can do on foot.
In Sonic Episode, Sonic has just defeated the Egg-Cerberus and rescued Elise. However, Eggman attempts to make due on his claim to not allow Sonic and the others to get away. He sends a squadron of robots after them in order to finish Sonic off and recapture the princess. Tails buys them some time and manages to distract a large amount of the robots away from them. Sonic and Elise then run through the desert and take out the number of Eggman's robots that manage to catch up to them. They escape and head back toward the city through a grassy plain.
Dusty Desert is the final stage in Shadow Episode. After Omega's confession at Wave Ocean, Team Dark headed off to Dusty Desert where they were positive Mephiles was along with his own Chaos Emerald. They manage to make it through the desert and into the temple. When they reach the center, they manage to locate Mephiles and take him on for a final battle.
Silver meets up with Amy Rose the night he spots Sonic chasing after Eggman's Egg Carrier. However, she stopped him thinking he was Sonic, and she has now agreed to help locate who he is looking for as a result of feeling at fault. Once they reach the desert, Silver is transfixed by the beauty around the area. When he marvels at the sight, Amy is confused by his fascination with a mere desert. Silver suddenly agrees to help Amy find who she is looking for and they manage to make their way through the temple in the Dusty Desert.
Silver Medals locations
- The very ﬁrst Silver Medal in Dusty Desert is on the ledge behind where Sonic and Elise start their travels.
- The player must go the normal way after the first ramp instead of crossing the rising platforms. As soon as they hit the first checkpoint, they should turn to the left where the Silver Medal lies.
- After the player passes through the second Point Marker, they must avoid the spiked bar and use the Springs to reach a set of stairs in the middle of the sand. A Silver Medal can be found off to the side of the main path.
- After the third checkpoint, the player must continue on the pathway until they face the Dash Panels, then jump out to the ledge on the left. The Silver Medal is on the archway over to the right, next to the spike trap.
- If the player turns to the left at the Egg Guardian-guarded cage, there is a Silver Medal on a platform with two winged statues. The player must turn on the Energy field and walk over to it, then go to the back of this platform. There will be several enemies that the player can use to Homing Attack up to it.
- After the previous medal, the player should not hit the spring that the robots are guarding. Instead, they must jump up on two ledges to the left and then turn left, and they will see two Egg Flyers to Homing Attack. The player will end up running on the side of a wall, and the Silver Medal can be found on this wall in the middle.
- As soon as the player goes around the next loop, they must jump to catch a Rainbow Ring, then look to the right for a Silver Medal on that ledge. They must avoid hitting the spring and drop down to the lower part of the level instead.
- After the fourth checkpoint and some iron balls, the player should look for Egg Bombers on the side of the wall to the right. They must Homing Attack up them to an Item Box, then move up to the platforms that are moving in and out of the wall. After more Homing Attacks, they will reach the Silver Medal.
- As the player falls down to complete the previous path, another Silver medal ﬂoats over the last gap in the path. If the player uses the Dash Panels they will miss it, so they must get a running start and use a regular jump to clear the gap and grab the prize.
- Before closing in on the Goal Ring, the player should pick up the Silver Medal tucked behind the statues on the left side of the temple entrance.
- On the way across the first point maker, the player should look for the Silver medal in the dark cavern; it is hanging above the stone tube.
- After the second point marker, the player must go to a platform on the left side of the chamber, which has a Silver Medal placed on it.
- In the same section, to the left of the exit door, in the wavy sand under a platform.
- After switching with E-123 Omega, the player must knock down the statues in the chamber to reveal the fourth Silver medal.
- Inside the room after the fourth checkpoint, the Silver Medal is located at the end of the highest ledge in the room.
- Inside the same room, the player must destroy four boxes on the end of the ledge with a spring to the exit door.
- In the hallway after the door the player must open with a switch, they should break the boxes on the right-hand side to collect a Silver medal.
- After changing to Shadow, the player must jump to the platform to the left. A Silver Medal is inside a vase on this platform.
- When spinning on a Swinging Bar, there is a Silver medal on the right side of the chamber on the narrow ledge. The player must use a Homing Attack to jump from an Iblis Taker to the ledge, then grab the medal.
- After the cave section, the player will hit the sixth checkpoint. They must follow the hallway to the bars, then swing around them to launch over the gap in the ﬂoor. The player lands right next to a pack of ﬁre monsters and a pair of titans. They must smash all of the wooden crates in this room to discover the last Silver Medal.
- After the player ﬁnishes knocking all of the Billiard Balls into the holes, they must jump up into the side passage where the spheres came out of to pick up a medal.
- In the waving sands room, there is a Silver Medal inside the statue on the right side of the room. The player must throw a crate or jar at the statue to knock it over and reveal the medal.
- As the player changes to Amy Rose, after the first point marker they must look to the left of the room to see the third Silver Medal.
- After finding the first switch in Amy's section, a medal can be found to the switch's right.
- In the next room of Amy's section (second point marker), the player should fall down to the right and smash the Wooden Containers next to the spring.
- Upon changing to Silver in the first room, a medal can be seen on the left side inside a statue.
- There is a Silver medal on the right side of the waving sands room, next to a narrow ledge. To reach the ledge, the player must levitate to the Chaos Drive Capsule to recharge Psychokinesis in mid-ﬂight. This gives plenty of PK to complete the ﬂight to the ledge and then jump out to get the medal.
- In the next room, it is in a vase to the left.
- The ninth Silver Medal is located to the right of the fourth Point Marker, next to the door.
- Before going into the Goal Ring, the player should lift the jars on the left side of the room to reveal the last medal.
In other media
- Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, the Dusty Desert is a location that holds one of Dr. Eggman's abandoned bases. In the
- Silver's ball puzzle in the game has a glitch that allows Silver to jump through the top of the door at the end of the long hall where he is supposed to push a large stone ball into a hole in order to reach the goal.
- In Sonic's Very Hard version of the stage, more traps are present, but the most dramatic change is that Sonic goes through the stage by himself. Without the shield that Sonic normally uses when carrying Elise, the terrain is more dangerous since he cannot walk across the quicksand.
- Omega Hover's glitch is useful in this stage to transport through the level without descent and to finish Omega's part faster.
|Dusty Desert ~Quicksand~||Tomoya Ohtani, Mariko Nanba||3:45|
|Dusty Desert ~The Ruins~||Tomoya Ohtani, Mariko Nanba||2:52|