Hohohoho. But that explosion! Isn't racing beautiful -- and dangerous?
— Dodon Pa, Team Sonic Racing One-shot
Dodon Pa (ドドンパ Dodonpa?) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an anthropomorphic alien Tanuki, the President of Donpa Motors, and the wealthy king of a planet called Donpa Kingdom. A racing industry philanthropist, he uses his corporation and resources to develop new technologies for the purpose of universal peace. In order to complete his latest project, he invited Sonic and his friends to compete in a Grand Prix unlike any other.
Concept and creation
Dodon Pa was designed by Sonic Team artist Yuji Uekawa. In an interview, head of Sonic Team Takashi Iizuka said that much of Dodon Pa's creation was built around future-proofing and maintaining a persistent universe in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Accordingly, Sonic Team decided that if there were going to be more Sonic-themed racing games in the future, they needed to create a character that would facilitate all these races happenings, and allow the races to be a part of the world and storytelling. As such, Dodon Pa was created upon Iizuka's request. In addition, Sonic Team wanted to keep Dodon Pa in the Sonic universe as someone who would be there any time they needed there to be a racing event. As put by Iizuka, "He’s going to be the character we can use as the Master of Ceremonies."
Dodon Pa is described as a "funny-looking" and "chubby". An anthropomorphic Tanuki with orange fur, he has a fairly large and round torso, slightly short arms, and sharp fingers. He also has a wide head with no visible neck, and a long tail with brown stripes. He also has a black patch of fur across his face, a white muzzle, a small black nose, and a long and rugged white mustache. He also has large eyes with surprisingly small blue irises and pupils.
For attire, Dodon Pa wears a crown with a large round velvet cap. This crown also has a golden lower head rim, a golden point on the top, and an emblem on the front that resembles a black wheel with a pair of white wings and a purple hub cap. He also wears orange coveralls with golden cuffs on the sleeves, a red scarf around his neck, and a brown belt around his waist with a golden buckle that resembles the front of a car. Lastly, he wears a short leopard skin cape with a fuzzy white hemline, a tall collar, and golden fasteners on the front.
Team Sonic Racing
In Team Sonic Racing, Dodon Pa and Donpa Motors reached a breakthrough with the development of a top secret project of theirs: the Ultimate Energy Engine. A machine powered by teamwork that could revolutionizes transportation, fuel new industries and reduce pollution, Dodon Pa hoped to use this engine to usher in a new era of prosperity and cooperation throughout the universe. For it to be finished though, they needed information on large amounts of accumulated Ultimate Team Energy. Wanting to produce the best Ultimate Energy Engine possible, Dodon Pa decided to host a Grand Prix where teamwork was a key element and have the best racers from across space and time compete in it, believing these racers could produce more Ultimate Team Energy that what his facilities and staff could. He then planned to record and send the information he acquired from each race to his research and development. In order to recruit racers, Dodon Pa used his vast resources and super-science to sent vaguely worded invitations to the Ultimate Test of Racing Skill out to the best racers he could find on Sonic's world, in the future, and in another dimension. The reason he kept his invitations and motives vague was to preserve the secrecy of the Ultimate Team Engine.
Eventually, Dodon Pa came to Sonic's world to pick up his Grand Prix's first contestants: Team Sonic. Upon meeting them, Dodon Pa presented himself to Teams Sonic and Rose. Tails asked Dodon Pa about his race, but all he said was that they would be racing as a team in the most advanced cars he could create in a Grand Prix that would test their limits. While Dondo Pa's vagueness rose suspicion, Sonic convinced his team to join the Grand Prix. As Dodon Pa got ready to take Team Sonic to their first race on Planet Wisp in his spaceship, Team Rose ended up coming along and joining the competition. After arriving on Planet WIsp, Dodon Pa presented the Wisp Circuit to the teams and explained that the winner of the tournament got to keep their car.
After the first race, Dodon Pa was impressed, although he noted that some of the racers "might not survive at all" after deeming some of them better than others. Later, Dodon Pa overheard Big praise his car, prompting him to encourage Big to face more challenges. Afterward, Dodon Pa appeared before the heroes when they talked about Dodon Pa's motivations, and told that his plans were a mystery, before encouraging them to keep racing. Not long after, Dodon Pa took things up a notch by introducing the Survival Races, disturbing most of the racers. Afterward, Amy asked Dodon Pa about his motives for hosting these races, who condescendingly replied that it was for "technical" reasons. Later, when Blaze and Silver, whom Dodon Pa had invited to compete as well, showed up alongside Vector, Dodon Pa went to meet them. When Blaze tried to back out, Dodon Pa tried to persuade her with the Grand Prix's crash prize. This convinced Vector to join the Grand Prix. In turn, he got Blaze and Silver to join his team.
As the Grand Prix progressed, Dodon Pa concluded he had to take things further. Amy disapproved of this, noting that someone could get hurt, but Dodon Pa noted that this was the point. Soon after, Dodon Pa attempted to improve his Grand Prix by having Team Eggman and Team Dark join the competition.
When Team Sonic and Team Dark had a race, Dodon Pa watched the action unfold as Sonic and Shadow went head-to-head. He also gave Tails a few hints regarding the team cars' capabilities through the in-car video links when the fox tried to figure the cars out. When Dr. Eggman then showed up during the race, claiming to be a special guest racer, Dodon Pa casually allowed Eggman, whom he found amusing, to participate. When Eggman then began asking for help, Dodon Pa filled him in on the Wisp power-ups that he could utilize. When all the racers then ganged up on Eggman, Dodon Pa was so invested in the beating Eggman received that he did not pay attention to whether Sonic or Shadow crossed the finish line first. Still, Dodon Pa was satisfied with how beautiful and dangerous the race was. As Eggman then moped over his loss, Dodon Pa told him that he looked forward to the doctor's participation with a team (since he found his passion against overwhelming odds inspiring) before watching a rematch between Sonic and Shadow.
Between the races, Dodon Pa had a chat with Dr. Eggman about his Ultimate Energy Engine. He soon after contended with Blaze, who disapproved of being his performance monkey. However, Dodon Pa was unfazed by Blaze's stand, opting instead to test her mettle with another race. Later, Dodon Pa allowed Eggman to sent his Eggpawns against the other racers, believing this would test the racers' teamwork even further. While observing the races some time afterward, Dodon Pa took pleasure in seeing that his plan was progressing better than he could have hoped for and without a hitch. Soon after though, Knuckles had enough and tried to make Dodon Pa give answers. Unfazed by Knuckles' fury, Dodon Pa watched as the racers discovered his background via a report Vector's allies had put together. With the cat out of the bag now, Dodon Pa would answer the racers' questions about his Grand Prix. He also received apologies from the racers who suspected him of being in cahoots with Eggman. Dodon Pa took no offense to that though, noting that all that mattered was the Ultimate Energy Engine's completion.
Soon after, Dodon Pa was kidnapped by Zavok and brought to the Final Fortress. There, Eggman demanded Dodon Pa handed over the Ultimate Energy Engine. Dodon Pa, however, noted that the engine was incomplete. As it turned out, not enough Ultimate Team Energy had been accumulated to complete it. Furthermore, by kidnapping Dodon Pa, Eggman had put the Grand Prix to a stop, meaning no more Ultimate Team Energy was being produced. To remedy that, Eggman made the Grand Prix racers compete in a series of team races to produce the Ultimate Team Energy he needed while having Dodon Pa keep him updated on the engine's progress. Once Dodon Pa declared that the Ultimate Energy Engine was complete though, Eggman stole it and used it to power his monster machine. However, the monster machine soon went crazy and caused the Final Fortress to start crashing. Fortunately for Dodon Pa, he was saved by Team Sonic. Down on the ground, Dodon Pa learned that all the race cars were destroyed when the Final Fortress crashed. In response, Dodon Pa promised to provide the racers with new cars as thanks for saving his life. With the Grand Prix back on, Dodon Pa looked forward to seeing the racers' competitive spirits in action once more.
Other game appearances
Dodon Pa makes cameo appearances in Sonic Racing. He can be seen as the shopkeeper for Prizes. He can also be seen on several advertisements seen on the tracks.
On the surface, Dodon Pa looks like nothing more than a gentle, chatty person. While he may seem eccentric, he is, in fact, highly intelligent. His intellect in particular seems to make him somewhat arrogant and condescending, as he implied that Team Sonic had such "limited intellectual capacities" that the finer details of his Grand Prix were unimportant to them. He also told Amy that she should not "worry [her] little head" about his reasons for putting his racers through brutal trials. Regardless of his flaws though, Dodon Pa is a good-hearted philanthropist who only wants to use his corporation and resources to produce products that will improve life everywhere and spread the concept of teamwork across the universe. He has also proven himself to be very generous; after the teams' race cars got destroyed while they saved Dodon Pa's life, Dodon Pa offered the teams new cars as thanks for all their help.
In addition to his intellect, Dodon Pa knows how to carry out his arrangements perfectly, as he has noted himself that his plans always go off without a hitch. In addition to that, Dodon Pa is also flexible when it comes to expanding his plans; even though he did not intend to invite Team Rose into his Grand Prix, he invited them on a whim after one of them showed racing potential.
Dodon Pa has been noted on a few occasions to sound like Dr. Eggman, as his vocabulary involves words like "super-science" and "punishing track", words that the evil doctor himself would use. He similarly uses a lot of disturbing words, such as "punishing" and "eliminated". Unlike Dr. Eggman, however, Dodon Pa is extremely patient when carrying out his plans, whereas Eggman is quick to resort to hasty actions which lead to repercussions.
Dodon Pa is shown to be very secretive when he wants to, especially when it comes to preserving the confidentiality of his corporation's top secret projects. As such, he can come of off as very enigmatic and mysterious. He knows likewise to keep his statements, alignments, affiliations, and intentions pretty vague. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making him seem untrustworthy, however. At the same time though, Dodon Pa is also a notorious trickster (as his species is known for); he can be pretty manipulative with his words by making them intriguing enough to maintain his listeners' curiosity without revealing too much information, thereby allowing him to string his listeners along for his own purposes.
Dodon Pa takes great interest in the races he sponsors, and knows how to appreciate a good race. However, he appears more interested in the races themselves than their outcome. In fact, he does not show much interest in how his races end, and instead focuses on the more thrilling moments during them, such as the great fight between Dr. Eggman and the other racers. He describes racing as something both beautiful and dangerous, and seems to be especially amused by the latter aspect, hinting at perhaps an interest in violence (something which there is plenty of in his Grand Prix) and life-threatening situations.
Being the sponsor of his Grand Prix, Dodon Pa wants his races to go according to his rules. However, he seems to ignore fair-play when something unexpectedly entertaining happens in his races, like when he casually let it slide when Dr. Eggman showed up unannounced to compete in another team's race and began cheating shamelessly. While Dodon Pa also appears helpful by providing his racers with advice on how to win, he does not care about whether those he help are good or evil, which makes his personal preferences hard to pin down.
Dodon Pa has little to no disregard for his racers' safety, being more interested in putting his racers' skills to the test with increasingly more difficult trials of his own design. He would even go so far as to casually note on different occasions during his Grand Prix that his racers' lives were at risk. He also thinks of everyone on the same level, regardless of their titles; when Blaze refused to perform for him since she was a princess, Dodon Pa noted that whether she was a princess or a performance monkey, it was all the same to him.
When its comes to the products his company can produce, Dodon Pa only wants perfection, making him a perfectionist. In order to achieve that, he will go to extremely lengths, such as organizing an entire Grand Prix with the best racers across space and time in order to get the best data possible for the creation of his Ultimate Energy Engine. He has even noted that he will take both no one's side and everyone's side in matters if it means perfection. While his ways may seem unorthodox and may make others judge him in different ways, Dodon Pa cares nothing for what others think about him; to him, all that matters is perfecting his company's products so that they can bring betterment to the universe.
A peculiar quirk Dodon Pa has displayed is that he never mentions someone by name, but rather by a descriptive title. For example, he refers to Sonic as "blue hedgehog", Knuckles as "angry echidna", Dr. Eggman as "person who kidnapped me" (after the doctor kidnapped him to get the Ultimate Energy Engine) or "angry man", Omochao as "child", and so forth. He also possesses a distinct laugh: "Hohohoho".
Powers and abilities
While Dodon Pa has not demonstrated any particular skill or abilities on the most part, the resources and technology he commands gives him a lot of power; Knuckles himself noted that Dodon Pa is "dangerously powerful". The technology he possesses is highly advanced, even to Tails (whose mechanical skills rivals that of Dr. Eggman's), and allows him to perform incredible feats, such as sending physical objects through both space and time.
Being a super scientist, Dodon Pa possesses a genius-level intellect. He seemingly also has some piloting skills, as he is able to pilot his own hover craft without aid.
When Dodon Pa held his Grand Prix, he had Dr. Eggman join the competition with his team, believing Eggman's participation could make his Grand Prix even more interesting. However, this eventually convinced the other racers that he was in cahoots with Eggman.
Dodon Pa evidently found Eggman's efforts and actions during his Grand Prix interesting; when the doctor showed up unannounced during a race and lied that he had been invited as a special guest racer, Dodon Pa allowed Eggman to compete, as he found his efforts amusing. In addition, even though Eggman is evil, Dodon Pa did not mind helping Eggman in his efforts to win the races in his Grand Prix. In addition, he found Eggman's passion against overwhelming odds amusing.
Either not caring or taking in account that Eggman was in the Grand Prix to steal his Ultimate Energy Engine, Dodon Pa was comfortable enough about Eggman to discuss his engine's capabilities with him in spite of the project's secrecy. Even as he got kidnapped by Eggman and forced to help him complete the Ultimate Energy Engine, Dodon Pa impartially cooperated with him in order to see his engine's completion through. It was first after Eggman stole the completed Ultimate Energy Engine that Dodon Pa displayed genuine shock at Eggman's actions.
- Amy Rose
- Big the Cat
- Blaze the Cat
- E-123 Omega
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Rouge the Bat
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Vector the Crocodile
- "Well done, one and all. Of course, some of you did better than others. Some of you might not survive at all. Hohohoho."
- —Dodon Pa after observing the first race in his Grand Prix, Team Sonic Racing
- "Either? Neither? Both? Who can say? Hohohoho. Win or fail, it's up to your teams and your teamwork. Now, are you ready for the next match?"
- —Dodon Pa's response to the teams' suspicions about what his possible motives could be, Team Sonic Racing
- "My expensive race, my rules! Hohohoho!"
- —Dodon Pa taking through the video monitors, Team Sonic Racing One-shot
- "Events are unfolding beautifully. The race is heating up and I am getting everything I could have hoped for and more. My plans always go off without a hitch."
- —Dodon Pa reflecting on his Grand Prix's progress, Team Sonic Racing
- "Sides? I am on no sides and on all sides. I only want perfection."
- —Dodon Pa explaining his way of seeking perfection, Team Sonic Racing
- "I look forward to seeing everyone's competitive spirits in action again."
- —Dodon Pa after giving the teams new cars to race in, Team Sonic Racing
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dreadknux (20 May 2019). TSS Interview: Takashi Iizuka Hints At Dodon Pa’s Return as ‘Master of Ceremonies’. The Sonic Stadium. Retrieved on 22 May 2019.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Team Sonic Racing One-shot, "Team Sonic Racing"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Brian (22 August 2018). Team Sonic Racing reveals first Story Mode details, new character Dodonpa. Nintendoeverything.com. Archived from the original on 30 May 2019. Retrieved on 23 August 2018.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 6: The Kidnapping. "Tails: So, your Ultimate Energy Engine will revolutionize transportation, fuel new industries, and reduce pollution using nothing but the inherent strength of teamwork? / Dodon Pa: Indeed. I've been devoting myself to the racing industry for the development of new technologies and universal peace for many, many years. This is the breakthrough moment."
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 6: The Kidnapping. "Rouge: Okay, so you're the president of an automobile corporation, but why are you holding these races? And why did you invite us so secretly? / Dodon Pa: Very simple little girl bat. We are creating the fastest, most powerful engine in the universe. I'm calling it the "Ultimate Energy Engine." Very secret. Very hush hush. / Rouge: Don't you have facilities and people to do these races? / Dodon Pa: If you want the best, you need help from the best. Hence, you and your friends."
- ↑ Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 7: The Final Showdown. "Dodon Pa: Hohohoho! Good news, person who kidnapped me! Sufficient energy has been accumulated! My Ultimate Energy Engine is complete! This invention will usher in a new era of prosperity and cooperation throughout the-"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 6: The Kidnapping. "Omochao: The telemetrics I intercepted must be part of your research and development. / Dodon Pa: Of course. One cannot create something without information. And I have gathered much information from your races. / Omochao: Have you? / Dodon Pa: Indeed. The energies generated from your teamwork are astonishingly powerful, and key to the creation of my Ultimate Energy Engine."
- ↑ Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 7: The Final Showdown. "Dr. Eggman: Give me the engine, you doddering Tanuki! / Dodon Pa: The engine is worthless now. It is incomplete. / Dr. Eggman: Worthless? Incomplete? What are you rambling about? / Dodon Pa: The racers are no longer racing. Without racing we cannot get enough Ultimate Team Energy. Without that teamwork energy, the engine will never be."
- ↑ Team Sonic Racing English instruction manual.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 2: Time To Race. "Sonic: Hey, Silver. Long time no see. You came here from the future? / Silver: Yeah. I received the invitation in my era, 200 years from now, and journeyed back in time to participate. / Tails: Whoa! Dodon Pa can send physical objects through space and time? That's a whole 'nother level of scary tech. / Big: Dodon Pa is really cool. / Knuckles: I don't know how cool he is, Big, but he's powerful. Dangerously powerful. And I still don't trust his motives."
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Sumo Digital (21 May 2019). Team Sonic Racing. PlayStation 4. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 2: Time To Race. "Amy: Nice to see you, Blaze. Did Dodon Pa send you an invitation to his race? / Blaze: Yes. Apparently, our enigmatic host is able to send messages across dimensions. Impressive. / Amy: Distressingly impressive. He's got a lot of power, and I'm not sure about his motives."