Doctor Robotnik's Waterspout and Depth Charge Machine (スクリューモービル Sukuryū Mōbiru?, lit. "Screw Mobile"), alternatively spelled as Doctor Robotnik's Waterspout & Depth Charge Machine, is a vehicle that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a modification of the Egg Mobile that was first created by Dr. Robotnik during the first part of the Angel Island incident.
Doctor Robotnik's Waterspout and Depth Charge Machine looks almost the same as the standard Egg Mobile. Oval in shape, it possesses its usual windshield and yellow seat. Unique characteristics in this vehicle include its orange propeller located in its bottom part, as well as a orange and blue depth charge dispenser located in its sides.
Features and abilities
Doctor Robotnik's Waterspout and Depth Charge Machine can make water pillars using its propeller. These pillars can take any object or living being towards the propeller, making them very dangerous. It also can drop small depth charges from its dispenser.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
In Sonic the Hedgehog 3, and its lock-on version Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Dr. Robotnik used the Waterspout and Depth Charge Machine in an attempt to destroy Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower in Hydrocity Zone. However, the vehicle was destroyed by the heroes.
Doctor Robotnik's Waterspout and Depth Charge Machine is the boss of Hydrocity Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, and the fourth boss overall in these games. In Sonic the Hedgehog 3, it is battled by Sonic the Hedgehog and/or Miles "Tails" Prower, while in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, it can also be battled with Knuckles the Echidna.
In the standalone version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Dr. Robotnik will descend into the water while spinning the propeller, which will whip the water into a vortex. The player must keep jumping away from this vortex to avoid being sucked in. The propeller itself can also hurt the player if touched while spinning. After a few seconds, the propeller stops, causing the vortex to subside. The Waterspout & Depth Charge Machine will then slowly fly from side to side three times, dropping eight pipe bombs as it goes which explode after a delay of approximately two seconds. After this, the doctor repeats this attack pattern regularly.
The Waterspout & Depth Charge Machine can be hit while descending with the propeller turning. However, to make the fight go faster, the player has two other options. The subsiding vortex actually acts as a temporary platform which the player can use to reach the mobile and score another few hits. There are also the pipe bombs, which by standing over one and jumping at the last moment, can be used to propel the player's character into the air, enabling them to hit the boss again. Eight hits are required to destroy the machine and open the Capsule to the right of the arena in order to clear the Zone.
In Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Knuckles fights this vehicle piloted by an EggRobo after entering the arena through a different pathway. The attack patterns remain the same as the previous version of the fight, but the EggRobo is able now to create the vortex of water with the Waterspout & Depth Charge Machine without descending, presenting fewer opportunities for Knuckles to attack. Knuckles is also unable to reach the Waterspout & Depth Charge Machine from the descending water vortex due to his lower jump height, so he must utilize the bombs to hit the mobile eight times.
- Like in the Whirlpool Machine fight, if the player stays in the water long enough until the drowning music starts playing, the mid-boss BGM from Sonic & Knuckles will start playing at the background instead of the regular boss theme. This glitch also works in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.
- There is a glitch in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles where, if Super Sonic is caught in the vortex, he will jump and land on the top of the vortex as if it were not attached; due to Super Sonic being invincible, he doesn't take damage, allowing Robotnik to be defeated within a few seconds.
- If caught in Robotnik's vortex, the playable character will enter their death animation while being sucked up towards the vehicle's propeller.
- Sonic the Comic #36, "Sonic 3 Part 3 - The Bosses"
- (in Japanese) ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ３ 公式ガイドブック. Shogakukan. 1 July 1994. p. 35. ISBN 978-4091024794.
- Sonic the Comic #93, "Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Revisited - The Bosses [CONTD]"