Doctor Fukurokov is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is the top scientist of the Battle Bird Armada, creating various devices on the orders of the Battle Lord.
Dr. Fukurokov joined the armada at an unknown point in time, and his technological contributions proved quite an asset to the group. Among his achievements were analyzing the Battle Lord's heirloom Gravity Ring and discovering its properties. However, he also demonstrated a fierce jealousy and ego, refusing to acknowledge any intellect besides his own. As such, when his assistant Wave the Swallow made unauthorized modifications to the Battle Fortress engines he had designed, he had her thrown in the brig. This contributed heavily to her decision to leave the Armada and join the Babylon Rogues. To Fukurokov's chagrin, other members of the Armada also found it virtually impossible to pronounce his name properly.
Trouble in Paradise
Fukurokov's intellect would later be challenged again when the Armada first crossed paths with Miles "Tails" Prower of the Knothole Freedom Fighters. After Speedy discovered that Bunnie D'Coolette was one of Tails' teammates, Fukurokov set about modifying his Mole Mech for a confrontation with the heroes. He then watched as Speedy employed the machine to battle the Freedom Fighters, only for it to be defeated by Tails' strategic thinking. A horrified Fukurokov could merely yell "Inconceivable!" several times; shortly thereafter, the fortress took off, but sustained some damage due to Tails' efforts.
After repairing the Battle Fortress, Fukurokov was set to work locating the energy signal of Babylon Garden, the Armada's long-lost homeland. He later detected such a reading after the Rogues discovered the Key to Babylon Garden, and dispatched a force of his Pursuit Drones with Speedy to capture the artifact and the trio of renegades. To his chagrin-and the Battle Lord's annoyance-the drones proved to be no match for the Rogues, and the Battle Lord was forced to intervene himself. After discovering that the garden lay buried beneath New Mobotropolis, Fukurokov created a device to bring down the city's defenses. He then operated a laser drill aboard the fortress to unearth Babylon Garden, which the fortress was later tethered to; both later crashed in the Gigan Mountains.
Fukurokov is a technological genius, but his intellect is surpassed by an overly-healthy ego. His pride is somewhat fragile, as the defeat or destruction of any of his creations leaves him shamefaced and stunned.
- Dr. Fukurokov is based off the character of the same name from Tails Adventure.
- Sonic Universe Volume 5: The Tails Adventure features a concept design and background of Dr. Fukurokov, created by artist Jon Gray. Interestingly enough, the concept refers to him as "Ojison", possibly due to Dr. Fukurokov not being named in any of the western manuals for Tails Adventure.
- Sonic Universe #19, "Trouble in Paradise Part Three: Undercover"
- Sonic Universe #20, "Trouble in Paradise: Stuff of Heroes"
- Sonic Universe #33, "Babylon Rising Part 1: Remembrance"
- Sonic Universe #34, "Babylon Rising Part 2: Reunion"
- Sonic Universe #35, "Babylon Rising Part 3: Retribution"
- Sonic Universe #36, "Babylon Rising Part 4: Resurrection"