The Detonator Switch, also formatted detonator switch and known as the self destruct switch or self destruction switch is a gimmick that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a large Switch used to destroy parts of Dr. Eggman's base.
The Detonator Switch is a very large mechanism, big enough for a three-person team to stand on top of it with more than enough room to spare. It has a flat gray cuboid for a foot with yellow and black hazard stripes on the edges and red corners. On top of it is a large disc-shaped button which is very similar to a solar energy board with the Eggman Empire symbol on it.
In Sonic Heroes, Detonator Switches can only be found in Final Fortress. As its name implies, this switch can destroy Eggman's bases on the Final Fortress for emergency cases. Using it in gameplay will not only destroy the surrounding fortress, but also sends the playable characters flying to the next section of the Stage which would otherwise be unreachable. Prior to explosion, it releases a commonly used warp light regularly for warping via Warp Flower. To use in gameplay, the player has to just go near the Destruction Switch and the playable characters will automatically jump on top of it and trigger it to explode.
- Though Team Rose does not encounter a Detonator Switch in their version of Final Fortress, there is a misplaced Detonator Switch outside the Stage's borders to the left when the team reach their first Fan.
- Prior to its explosion, the Detonator Switch releases a commonly-used warp light which regularly appears when utilizing Warp Flowers.
- Guess, Gerald (6 January 2004). "Team Dark - Final Fortress". Sonic Heroes: Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Prima Games. p. 103. ISBN 0761544496. "Jump onto the detonator switch and grind the conduits."
- Sonic Team (6 January 2004). Sonic Heroes. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Final Fortress. "Sonic: That's a self destruct switch! Get on it and press down!"
- Sonic Team (6 January 2004). Sonic Heroes. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Final Fortress. "Vector: A self destruct switch! Maybe we can use it somehow."
- Sonic Team (6 January 2004). Sonic Heroes. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Final Fortress. "Knuckles: A self destruction switch? Maybe we should press it down."
- Sonic Team (6 January 2004). Sonic Heroes. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Final Fortress. "Omega: Battleship self destruction switch detected."